Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 99 Sienna may have finally had it's last major repair. I just recently replaced the beam axle when the right side shock pointing point sheared off the axle (So the shocks have less than 1000 miles on them), now on the left side it looks like the frame gave way and the shock is "floating" in it's receptacle. I am not super well versed in cars, so I am not sure if it makes sense to go down the route of attempting to hunt down some type of fix (Like an oversized washer set-up or auto-body work) or if I should just accept that the old girl is telling me that 357000 miles is enough for her?
20200914_170522.jpg
^ Bad shock
20200914_170622.jpg
^ Good shock

·
Registered
92 Posts
To me that throws the integrity of the whole vehicle in question.
How many other parts look like this, areas you can't easily see etc.

As long as you have something to weld to yes it could be fixed.
I would assess the rest of the vehicle first to see the amount of rust
Damage. And its anyone's opinion on what is and isn't save.
What is shown in the pictures many would agree is not safe.

Fwiw I had a s-10 that the rear shock mount broke but it was just a weak
Area and not rusted out. I pulled the bed off and fixed it but there was good
Steel to weld to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is very fair, the vehicle definitely has a lot of rust in various other locations on the body, and considering the last failure was rust related and only a few months ago it sounds like the New England winters have just finally taken their toll across the car. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a 99 sable not long ago. Drove it for 7 years and it cost 1500 when I bought it.
The floor boards were rusted out so i mixed up some bondo and made a new one
With that and some fiberglass tape. Many other things were done to keep it going.
But thinking back the floorboards would in most cases would have send it to the junkyard.
And more than once I thought to myself is this thing safe to drive ?
Its a unibody design so its anyone's guess what is sound.
It finally one day broke the front sway bar which was odd I thought.
Had another in the garage so i put it on.
Was looking at it a few days later and noticed a weld seam had split behind the front wheel.
I think the swaybar was holding the car together to some extent.
Decided then and there its all done and drove it the one mile or so to the scrapyard.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
see if you can find this for your needs.... Dorman makes these Strut tower rust repair caps...

If the rest of the vehicle is ok and you still want more out of it...then try this out....

sandan

·
Registered
319 Posts
In isolation that rust damage is trivial and easily welded. Is it the last straw that breaks the camels back??? Be thankful it's not a strut.

·
Registered
603 Posts
That is very fair, the vehicle definitely has a lot of rust in various other locations on the body, and considering the last failure was rust related and only a few months ago it sounds like the New England winters have just finally taken their toll across the car. I appreciate the input.
Given this statement, I would throw in the towel on this van.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would throw in the towel on this van. Mike
Tough call. I replaced rockers on my 89 Supreme eighteen years ago. Far worse than your shock mounts (not a major repair), and you can see the rockers. Spared me from needing another car since. Still runs and looks good and I don't need to hire a computer engineer to fix it. Wisconsin

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'll admit that while I'm not easily put off by mechanical issues (I once intentionally purchased a car with a seized engine), I don't get along well with rust and bodywork.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Easy enough to get to. If you could get one of those tower caps it probably fits up
From the bottom. Just a matter of welding it in after. Would be best to use a tig welder if available, no splatter flying around that way.
If you decide to scrap it i believe at 357000 miles and 21 years old you got your moneys worth and then some.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I put my 2002 to rest after my axle beam (the "trailing arm") rusted through. If you went through the trouble to replace the beam, you have got to fix this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts