Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rear shocks on my 2017 Sienna started leaking at 70000 miles. Ordered replacements from Rock Auto. Only name that I recognized was Monroe. So ordered Monroe 37284. Picture on Rock Auto was the same as installed. You can Google Monroe 37284 and pictures look the same. But what came is a redesigned 37284. On the OEM and pictures the dust cover is separate. On the Redesigned 37284 the dust cover is built in and the top is different. I called Monroe and they told me it is a redesign and that is why it does not match the pictures. I need the car and installed the Monroe, but I would recommend a different shock in the future. Personally I do not have a warm fuzzy that it will not rattle in the future. Saving receit and parts for awhile.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There aren't a whole lot of aftermarket choices when it comes to the struts/shocks on the SIenna.Monroe is crap, you would very likley be doing them again not too far in the future. Hoping you did both shocks at the same time, just not the broken one. Try OEM or KYB, the latter is the OE supplier in NA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There aren't a whole lot of aftermarket choices when it comes to the struts/shocks on the SIenna.Monroe is crap, you would very likley be doing them again not too far in the future. Hoping you did both shocks at the same time, just not the broken one. Try OEM or KYB, the latter is the OE supplier in NA
Thanks. Will not use Monroe again. Yes I did both. What doe NA stand for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Will not use Monroe again. Yes I did both. What doe NA stand for?
Figured out that NA stands for North America. Looked at the old shocks and KYB is stamped at the bottom. Wish that I had known this before. Mainly posted so that others are aware not to install Monroe shocks. Will buy KYB when these wear out. The ride with the new Monroes does seem firm so far. But only tested about 3 miles. I am going to stash the old somewhere so that I can save the hardware.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I replaced all 4 with Monroe right before selling my '11 and wouldn't recommend. Only reason was that the Rock was out of stock on KYB and I couldn't find them anywhere. I felt a bit bad, but the struts absolutely had to be replaced due to the strut mount failure all too common in Gen3. I could have done just the mounts, but I vowed a while ago to only buy the fully assembled ones in the future after a bad experience with spring compressors one time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My friend's new 2016 Sienna project might need rear shocks as well. Looks it got Monroe and he's looking to get another Monroe. I'll tip him about getting KYB. The new brake pads and tires from 4Wheelonline will be installed next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts