Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the Sienna chat.
I have a 2005 Sienna XLE FWD. I recently had a rear wheel hub go out and both rear brake calipers were stuck and not wearing evenly.
I replaced both wheel hubs, springs, shocks, rotors and pads, front struts and new set of tires @ 216K and I am getting a vibration at 70mph+.
Had rims balanced 2x and I am at a loss to why. Any advice would be a great help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had similar thing happen on my truck after wheel balance rotation done by american tire. Took it back and fixed. It was one of the tires wheels was unbalnced..seems first tire guy did a lousy job of balancing the wheels

Maybe yu can swap the front to back wheels, see what happens. If that don't work, reblance, rotate the wheels. If not, then retrace your work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I had them rotated and balanced checked 2x. I may bring it to a different Firestone dealer, different from the one I am having them balanced at. I have been talking to a few people that said maybe the balancing machine is out of tune. Other suggestion is a bent rim, I am leaning towards a bent rim, as the roads here are very bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You don't say where the vibration is coming from. However, if you rotated, then you would have moved back rims to front. That would make any bent-rim vibrations from the rear super-noticable as severe vibration in steering wheel. I might check the alignment. The rear is not adjustable (AFAIK), but with bad roads, it can get bent out of alignment. They make correction kits which are essentially shims which cost far more than a slightly tapered piece of metal should cost. Of course, if you replaced the front struts, an alignment is mandatory, so I would do that first, before putting any more parts into it. I would also take it to a different wheel balance place and just ask them to check the balance. It may be that the stick-on weights the first shop is using are not staying stuck, throwing the wheel immediately out of balance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't say where the vibration is coming from. However, if you rotated, then you would have moved back rims to front. That would make any bent-rim vibrations from the rear super-noticable as severe vibration in steering wheel. I might check the alignment. The rear is not adjustable (AFAIK), but with bad roads, it can get bent out of alignment. They make correction kits which are essentially shims which cost far more than a slightly tapered piece of metal should cost. Of course, if you replaced the front struts, an alignment is mandatory, so I would do that first, before putting any more parts into it. I would also take it to a different wheel balance place and just ask them to check the balance. It may be that the stick-on weights the first shop is using are not staying stuck, throwing the wheel immediately out of balance.
HI Bill,
I am going to take it to a different Firestone and have them take off all weights and start fresh.
I have a lifetime balance and alignment and may have the alignment checked again. It feel like the vibration is coming from the rear end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Or put new toyota rotors are cheap. 50-60 each i think.. Google it.. Most people dobt resyrface rotors anymore, better off with new one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I believe his rotors were renewed. I replaced the drums in the back of my 06 LE and I went through 3 new sets including genuine toyota and all vibrated from 65mph. I finally took the pair had the least vibration to a machine shop to check for being out of round and sure enough , brand new out of the box, they were. The tech at the machine shop said he has been turning rotors and drums for over 40 years and he is starting to see brand new ones that are out of round. After he turned my drums the vibration went away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe his rotors were renewed. I replaced the drums in the back of my 06 LE and I went through 3 new sets including genuine toyota and all vibrated from 65mph. I finally took the pair had the least vibration to a machine shop to check for being out of round and sure enough , brand new out of the box, they were. The tech at the machine shop said he has been turning rotors and drums for over 40 years and he is starting to see brand new ones that are out of round. After he turned my drums the vibration went away.
I thought it was a given that new drums and rotors were out-of-round? Most places won't turn down rotors when doing pads because, from what I was told, they make the rotors so thin that you can only turn them once when new and one more time when you factor in normal brake wear. As such, if you have any grooving or uneven wear or whatever, they can't turn them down, so they just throw a new set of freshly turned rotors on. As for drums, there should be plenty of meat to turn them down, but I've never had to replace a drum on any car, ever. My oldest drums are on my '38 Cadillac and there's plenty of meat left on them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
In hindsight I should have reused the old oem drums. I created a while back a separate thread about a vibration I was having after replacing the rear drums. Lesson learnt. Also , shortly, I will create a thread about parts that that were replaced and thrown away that one wished they had kept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts