Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading and trying to figure out just how far back the second row chair's recline. I keep looking for details on the interior but cannot find if the recline is sufficient for a sleeping position. I've seen the video about removing the second, which I would be willing to do but expect the Ms would not want to do that. non-removable would be fine if they tilted back as far as my living room recliner (80 degrees of so) which is sufficient for sleeping. Given how trivial it is to allow a full recline I'm hoping toyota at least gave us that to go with the ottomans and allow good sleeping for 2. Can anyone with a sienna confirm how far they tilt? would you sleep in them ?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
I've been reading and trying to figure out just how far back the second row chair's recline. I keep looking for details on the interior but cannot find if the recline is sufficient for a sleeping position. I've seen the video about removing the second, which I would be willing to do but expect the Ms would not want to do that. non-removable would be fine if they tilted back as far as my living room recliner (80 degrees of so) which is sufficient for sleeping. Given how trivial it is to allow a full recline I'm hoping toyota at least gave us that to go with the ottomans and allow good sleeping for 2. Can anyone with a sienna confirm how far they tilt? would you sleep in them ?
They recline an additional 22 degrees ish. So to a total angle of 112 degrees which is nowhere near flat. I should add my Sienna is the XSE model so the 2nd don't have the ottomans. Not sure if the ottomans seats go further.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They recline an additional 22 degrees ish. So to a total angle of 112 degrees which is nowhere near flat.
Thanks though that is a bummer as it is worse than I thought from the pics/videos.
While I've been working a shorter bed behind them, (been working on a design that I think will work for moderate trips and so maybe only remove them for very long trips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don’t know about the 2021, but we have the Gen 3 Ottoman seats, and they don’t recline anywhere near a sleeping position. That’s a shame because otherwise they would make a reasonable sleeper. The same is true of the 3rd row seats, which if the back were able to recline flat, could make a fairly good base for a bed. The front of the 3rd row seat can be made flatter by folding the front support strut back. I looked at the seat hinge, but so far haven’t figured out a ‘cheat’ to release the hinge stop without destroying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
180 Posts
I'd be curious to see if anything can be done with a Dremel tool =)

·
Registered
261 Posts
In either the manual or one of the videos I've watched I recall it saying that the Ottomans should not be used while the vehicle is in motion because of a particular seatbelt risk. I suspect that the reason for the limited recline comes down to that -- it'd be difficult in software to ensure that the full recline wasn't being used while driving, and thus would destroy the safety rating if they had to factor people laying flat into their crash tests.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In either the manual or one of the videos I've watched I recall it saying that the Ottomans should not be used while the vehicle is in motion because of a particular seatbelt risk. I suspect that the reason for the limited recline comes down to that -- it'd be difficult in software to ensure that the full recline wasn't being used while driving, and thus would destroy the safety rating if they had to factor people laying flat into their crash tests.

While I much prefer AWD and Hybrid there are tradeoffs. We've been comparing this and the new AWD Pacifica and the seating may be the deciding factor. @toyota are you listening?
Since neither is ideal, Covid is happering looking at cars and travel, and our outback is still doing fine we may just wait and see what is up with the 2020 Kia (Carnival?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
They recline an additional 22 degrees ish. So to a total angle of 112 degrees which is nowhere near flat. I should add my Sienna is the XSE model so the 2nd don't have the ottomans. Not sure if the ottomans seats go further.
On 2021 sienna platinum FWD, Has anyone figured out a way to make the captain sets with foot rest recline as much as the onces without? Is there a blocker that can get removed ?

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
26 Posts
I for one am disappointed in the angle, or actually lack of reclining. about 50 degrees total, not near enough for relaxing for long period

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
I think someone determined or very tired can throw a sleeping bag on the floor between two middle chairs and get good sleep ;).

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's my plan!
I think someone determined or very tired can throw a sleeping bag on the floor between two middle chairs and get good sleep ;).
I bought a Klymit Double V sleeping pad. Inflates quickly after folding 3rd row seats down and slide second row seats fwrd. The pad covers this area nicely and overides the small bumps from third row seats etc. Cheap and comfortable solution. Store the deflated bag and pillows in cut out for the middle seat of my 2nd row.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE AWD
26 Posts
I bought a Klymit Double V sleeping pad. Inflates quickly after folding 3rd row seats down and slide second row seats fwrd. The pad covers this area nicely and overides the small bumps from third row seats etc. Cheap and comfortable solution. Store the deflated bag and pillows in cut out for the middle seat of my 2nd row.
Good Idea, any chance you could post a pic of it layed out in the back? Interested in the coverage area. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be curious to see if anything can be done with a Dremel tool =)
I think you might be right. I removed the smaller 3rd row seat and uncovered the hinge- see photo. The seat back rotates against a spiral spring until the seat back part reaches a hard stop on a steel piece welded to the seat bottom part. The hard stop and the corresponding rotating part could be cut back with a Drehmel or grinder to increase the rotation perhaps 5-10 degrees. The hard stop could be cut off entirely and the spiral spring removed, but I’m not sure what would hold the back in place. I haven’t looked at a 2nd row seat hinge yet.

A skilled welder (I’m not one) could probably cut and replace the hard stop at any position.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think you might be right. I removed the smaller 3rd row seat and uncovered the hinge- see photo. The seat back rotates against a spiral spring until the seat back part reaches a hard stop on a steel piece welded to the seat bottom part. The hard stop and the corresponding rotating part could be cut back with a Drehmel or grinder to increase the rotation perhaps 5-10 degrees. The hard stop could be cut off entirely and the spiral spring removed, but I’m not sure what would hold the back in place. I haven’t looked at a 2nd row seat hinge yet.

A skilled welder (I’m not one) could probably cut and replace the hard stop at any position.

Did they do that because of a safety issue to not let it recline fully?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The hard stop could be cut off entirely
That might work but it might be an expensive experiment if it didn't. It looks like it's a matter of drilling or grinding out the center of the seat recline stop in order to remove it. I doubt that the spring should be removed.

2021 Sienna seat recline stop.jpg

I once removed (drilled out) the stops that prevented the front seats of a VW to fully recline but I was following instructions in a car magazine article about how to make a variety of improvements to the car. A more expensive version of the car came with fully reclining seats - the difference was that it didn't have the stops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That might work but it might be an expensive experiment if it didn't. It looks like it's a matter of drilling or grinding out the center of the seat recline stop in order to remove it. I doubt that the spring should be removed.

I once removed (drilled out) the stops that prevented the front seats of a VW to fully recline but I was following instructions in a car magazine article about how to make a variety of improvements to the car. A more expensive version of the car came with fully reclining seats - the difference was that it didn't have the stops.
It isn’t clear from the picture, but only the part of the hard stop outside the weld would need to be cut off. The spiral spring clears the part where the weld is- see photo below. The two visible welds also hold on the center catch for the spiral spring. You’re right, the spiral spring would not have to be removed. If necessary, the spiral spring stationary end could be moved to a different point on the catch. I just wasn’t sure the spring was long enough to handle a full recline without being moved. Also, there is another “sort of” hard stop when the rotating part encounters the straight part of the frame. That might coincidentally be close to a full recline and prevent the seat from collapsing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts