Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a Sienna to go on long trips with my family. It needs to be very reliable, that is why I am looking for either a new one or very low milage.

I would be so happy to hear your experience/recommendations.

Thanks much

·
Registered
'07 XLE FWD, '18 XLE AWD
156 Posts
I think if you want a reliable road-trip car, you can't beat the 4th gen Sienna with its incredible mileage. While I can't personally comment on 4th gen reliability, Toyota's hybrid powertrain is absolutely over-engineered and bullet-proof. Heck, taxis love Toyota hybrids -- they can take abuse!

(BTW I test drove different 4th gen trim levels, and liked the road feel of the XSE AWD the most.)

I needed to be able to remove the middle-row seats on a whim, but that's not possible on the 4th gen. That was the deal-breaker for me.

As for used 3rd gen, prices are really high right now. It would make more sense to buy a new 4th gen if you can get one at sticker versus a 3rd gen.

But if you want to hear about 3rd gen...

As a 2-time 3rd-gen owner (bought-new 2012 and now a used 2018), they have been incredibly reliable over the past 10 years of ownership. In fact, I've never had more reliable cars in my 35 years of driving. Not Honda, not Acura, not GM, not Ford, not Chrysler. Certainly not European (albeit I've only owned a Saab.) The Sienna has never broken down on the road -- not once. Rarely been back to dealer for repairs (a few TSBs.) Brakes last a long time for such a vehicle...expect 60K miles or more. No timing belt to change at 100K. Tires wear out evenly and not at accelerated rate. (I had a set of Goodyear Assurance Tripletred, the precursor to the current Assurance Weatheready, that went 80K and still had 3/32nd left.) Never a fluid leak. No issues with sliding doors or tailgate. Always started in cold Chicago winters, with battery lasting about 5 years. The spark plugs out of the 2012 @ 125K miles looked like new. 2018 will be different with DI engine though. Parts are relatively cheap and many local mechanics can handle maintenance and repairs.

With routine maintenance, I think these would be the things you may encounter on a 3rd gen WITH HIGH MILEAGE:

Rear wheel bearings (all 3rd gen)
Rear differential coupler front bearings (on pre-2015)
Front upper engine mount (on 2011-2016...2GR-FE engines)
Stock Bridgestone run-flats on AWD -- horrible, replace them with something like Michelin CrossClimate2's or Goodyear Assurance Weatheready.

My 2018 XLE is quieter than the 2012 Limited I had. Not sure if this is indicative of 2018-2020. I also like the revised front-end styling versus pre-2018.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying. It is very helpful. As you emphasized there won't be much difference in terms of price point between like new 3rd gen or 4th gen. That is why I am more into buying a new 4th gen. I know middle row is normally not removable on 4th gen but I do not need to do that. I want it to be loaded that is why I am trying to find either limited or platinum but it is almost impossible to find and wait times are long.

I did not decide yet what to do, I will let you know when I decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a Sienna to go on long trips with my family. It needs to be very reliable, that is why I am looking for either a new one or very low milage.

I would be so happy to hear your experience/recommendations.

Thanks much
If you do, please make sure it is certified. You have a year for them to fix problems. Oh, and check the CarFax fir recalls. In my search, there was a jade green one where CarFax suggested to have it checked at a frame shop, yet is showed no accidents reported. Be careful buying privately unless you do your homework.

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
642 Posts
The only experience I have with Gen4 is seeing them on the road.

My previously-owned '18 XLE AWD is absolutely GREAT. I like it a lot better than the '05 LE AWD that I had for about 11 years.

I got my '18 with just under 30,000 miles on it. The (stock, run-flat) tires were worn, they were replaced with Michelin Defenders. I have had them on other vehicles with great results. The brakes were a bit sketchy. Looked at the rotors, some of them only had about half the surface contact they should have, so I replaced rotors, pads and calipers. Great braking now.

The only mechanical 'issue' was the fuel pump recall. I never had problems with it, but had it changed. Also had CarPlay added to the radio at that time.

Anything else has been merely for the sake of making it "mine".
  • converted all exterior lights to LEDs.
  • added LED strips under front doors for 'puddle lights'
  • replaced rear reflectors with LED tail/brake lights for better conspicuity
  • added DrawTite trailer hitch
  • added Tekonsha P3 brake controller
  • added CB radio with mag-mount antenna that fits in 8th seat storage bay when not using it (yes, I'm old school)

I fully expect this van to see 300,000 miles like many of my other Toyotas have (4, so far, the 5th one was at 275k and going strong).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts