Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I changed the engine oil for the first time. The car has a mileage of 72000 miles. All previous services were done in Toyota dealership. After drilling the oil, it measures around 7 qt and I expected to be around 6.4 qt based on the manual.

Later I refill around 6.75 Qt of Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 and the oil level shows in the middle of the oil stick.

Q1> Is this normal?

Q2> The oil change interval is around 8000 miles and why the Toyota 0w-20 oil shows very dark?

Thank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all,

I changed the engine oil for the first time. The car has a mileage of 72000 miles. All previous services were done in Toyota dealership. After drilling the oil, it measures around 7 qt and I expected to be around 6.4 qt based on the manual.

Later I refill around 6.75 Qt of Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 and the oil level shows in the middle of the oil stick.

Q1> Is this normal?

Q2> The oil change interval is around 8000 miles and why the Toyota 0w-20 oil shows very dark?

Thank you
1. Is there a possibility Toyota dealership overfilled it or unburned fuel in the crankcase? Does the oil smell like gasoline?

2. What do you consider “dark”? How’s the car being driven? Mainly stop/go? Mainly highway? How long ago was the oil last changed? I would not overfilled the oil pan, you will cause engine issue.

·
Registered
879 Posts
At 72K miles, expect that the color of the oil will be dark if you change every 8K or 10K miles. Just follow the dipstick indicator. You will be fine and make sure you use synthetic oil. I change my oil every 10K miles per Toyota recommendation.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will change the oil again in 7000 miles and use a measurement container next time.
On my 2012, 6-1/3 quarts brings the oil level right to the full mark (with filter change).
I find it is difficult to see the oil level through the dipstick. Before I changed the oil, I checked the level and I didn't see clearly where the level is.
Next time, I will stick with measurement container instead.

Thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
When you see the dark oil at oil change, it means the oil is doing its job, and this is normal. Engine oils are manufactured with synthetic base oils and additives at a ratio roughly 90% base oil/10% additives. Part of the additive package are detergents to maintain the engine surfaces clean, and dispersants to keep dirt, moisture, unburned fuel and deposits in suspension until you change the oil and filter. Just follow Toyota's recommendation in the Owner's Manual for oil/filter change intervals and amount of oil or go by the trip computer to tell you when to change them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday, I pumped out some oil and it turns out that my 2012 sienna AWD only needs 6 Quart fresh engine oil to reach the full mark.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just posted the other day on Facebook group about this.

Last month I bought a 2012 and did my first oil change. Let it drain for a while and refilled with just under 6.4 qts

That shot the level about 1.5” above max fill.
Never had that happen on any other vehicle, so I’m gonna start replacing oil with 6qts and add a little as needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts