Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sienna LE
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about removing my roof rack. I have never used it and don't expect to. Can anyone tell me how they are attached? From what I have seen so far, it looks like they might attach from below, which would mean dropping the ceiling panel. If so, it's probably too much trouble to bother with.

Anyone done this? If so, did you see any improvement in fuel economy?

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
305 Posts
This is a 3rd gen, and they said it was just 3 torx bolts from the top on each end. Roof rack removal

I doubt you’d see a noticeable improvement in fuel economy. The roof rack rails, being longwise, shouldn’t add much drag. If you have crossbars attached those may have a slightly effect on fuel economy, though the crossbars should be really easy to remove.

Make sure you seal the holes afterwards. In the linked thread the OP thought ahead a little bit about making putting the roof rack back on easy to do if a future buyer wanted them.

Funny, I’ve actually wanted roof racks on nearly all my previous vehicles but never got around to adding them. I have them now, but haven’t got crossbars yet cause I was too busy this summer to go camping/start my camper van mods. Planning to add rooftop solar/hot water panels, and also to carry a canoe or kayak.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
If you mean the roof bars that run lengthwise, I do not think you would save a measurable amount of fuel by removing them. Also, in accordance with one of the Murphy's Law's corollaries, as soon as you remove the rails (and especially if you discard them) you will need to use them for something :).

·
Registered
651 Posts
I removed the cross bars for ease of snow removal in the winter. The roof rack is attached from above from the link jseyfert3 provided. Then you would need to fill those holes where the bolts attach to the roof.

I especially bought my 2019 Highlander without a roof rack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thinking about removing my roof rack. I have never used it and don't expect to. Can anyone tell me how they are attached? From what I have seen so far, it looks like they might attach from below, which would mean dropping the ceiling panel. If so, it's probably too much trouble to bother with.

Anyone done this? If so, did you see any improvement in fuel economy?
We used our roof rack on the '91 Previa and again on our '14 Sienna, mainly for road trips. I think it looks nice on the car and can't imagine removing it and then having holes drilled that need to be sealed. That would look way worse than the rack ever could.

·
Registered
Old Sienna
657 Posts
Funny, I’ve actually wanted roof racks on nearly all my previous vehicles but never got around to adding them. I have them now, but haven’t got crossbars yet cause I was too busy this summer to go camping/start my camper van mods. Planning to add rooftop solar/hot water panels, and also to carry a canoe or kayak.
Bought a after market roof rack for my car 30 years ago. Used that same rack on my Nissan van 20 years ago. Now it's on my Sienna. An original rack is available but it's too small and a pain to install. Considering removing the headliner and welding reinforcements.
Removing a spoiler from a different vehicle made zero mpg difference. Perhaps if you averaged 120mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts