Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
35 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I did this repair about 2 years on my Sienna and I notriced that the screws are very rusty and I want to replace them before they can't be removed. Anyone know if you can get these somewhere in stainless? TIA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I did this repair about 2 years on my Sienna and I notriced that the screws are very rusty and I want to replace them before they can't be removed. Anyone know if you can get these somewhere in stainless? TIA.
You can get basically any screw in any material. Back in the day, McMaster Carr was the place for stuff like that. At some point, Amazon bought a small-parts company and now you can get all that same stuff on Amazon. You'd just need to find exactly what the specs of the screw are. That said, I can't seem to find any specs for the screws on the parts sites. You may have to pull a screw and measure it to find the right one. Or just buy one of the off-brand replacement switches which come with new screws. They wouldn't be stainless, but you would start the rust clock at zero again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take the screw to a hardware store, ideally a real one dedicated to fasteners as opposed to home depot. They should be able to help you. I've found the craziest screws/bolts I've needed over the years at Fastenal and ace hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been wanting to fix my sticky mess but all the reviews on aftermarket rubber pieces seem to be mediocre :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced the old melted stuff today with this: Amazon.com: Trunk Rear Hatch Liftgate Door Handle Switch Latch Cover Release Button Rubber Cover for Prius Avalon Sequoia Camry 4Runner Sienna Scion 84905-47010 84840-21010 926-098 84840-47020: Automotive. Micro-ratchet driver with phillips bit made the screws a lot more manageable. I used Goo-Gone to loosen up the remaining rubber after the big bits were stripped off. A VERY sticky job!
p.s. There are two small plastic washers on the "switch" side of the cover, one for each screw. Mine were lost in the tar and would have been easy to inadvertently toss away. They cleaned up to light-colored plastic and keep the rubber from splitting when everything's put back into place. I took care not to overtighten the screws.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been wanting to fix my sticky mess but all the reviews on aftermarket rubber pieces seem to be mediocre :(
Just get the Toyota-branded switch. It's relatively cheap and will eliminate the sticky mess and, if you're like me, the impossible-to-open-in-Winter symptom. You start the clock at factory-fresh. It took my van at least a decade to get to that point. Another 10 years will make it ancient.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Here's my history with the rubber switch cover...

Toyota - 35k miles
Toyota - 83k miles
Amazon - 32k miles and still going with no signs of stickiness

Amazon rubber switch cover was about 20% of the Toyota switch and so far is no worse and much easier to install.

Here's the one I purchased...

New Kit Trunk Hatch Liftgate Release Switch Button Cover Replacement for Toyota Scion Lexus with Husky Offset Screwdriver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4NAGP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_NDzHUF5ELmLbK

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts

Toyota - 35k miles
Toyota - 83k miles

Amazon rubber switch cover was about 20% of the Toyota switch and so far is no worse and much easier to install.

New Kit Trunk Hatch Liftgate Release Switch Button Cover Replacement for Toyota Scion Lexus with Husky Offset Screwdriver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4NAGP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_NDzHUF5ELmLbK

-Mike

Just ordered. Has much better reviews than others on Amazon and elsewhere..hope it works well in this California heat!

·
35 Posts
Just got back from a short break. Thanks for everyone's suggestions regarding the screws, much appreciated. Based on your collective comments, looks like I'll have to replace the rear latch cover again down the road although the replacement has lasted several years now (installed mid-2018), oh well. Safe travels everyone!

·
35 Posts

Toyota - 35k miles
Toyota - 83k miles

-Mike

This is the exact same unit I have on my van right now (Amazon USA) and I used this tool to install it (from Amazon Canada): Neiko 03044A 1/4-Drive Mini-Size Ratcheting Screwdriver and Bit Set, Cr-V Includes 7-Bit: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

·
Registered
582 Posts
For the install, I removed the license plate (and frame) and then could use either the offset screwdriver it came with or (more easily) the ratcheting offset screwdriver I already had.

-Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang, wish I would have read this thread before I replaced mine. I went to the junkyard, found a good switch with good rubber on it, and bought the whole rear panel assembly with lights and everything. Just replaced the rubber on my still good switch. Granted, my panel had a bolt missing from a previous rear camera install, which is why I bought the whole panel, intended on replacing the whole panel. Until I found out that the exact same bolt (the part where the bolt is held in the panel) was also broken on the replacement I bought lol. Oh well, I have good rubber on there now. And I'm keeping the amazon one in mind for when this one inevitably goes bad!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts