Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Bought my second AWD LE Sienna. Had the 2013 for a little over 5 years. Replaced the brakes, and alternator and traded it in with 153k miles for the 2022. Wasn't sure what the future held with the chip shortage, supply chain mess, high tension with other world powers, inflation and where EPA regs seems to be going so I decided to upgrade. Space is less and the 8th seat probably won't be worth my kids hassle of stepping over the anchor and cover cleverly disguised as cupholders. Gas mileage of 34 with 6 people in the car with 4 car seats is reasonably attainable. Could probably go higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi. Bought my second AWD LE Sienna. Had the 2013 for a little over 5 years. Replaced the brakes, and alternator and traded it in with 153k miles for the 2022. Wasn't sure what the future held with the chip shortage, supply chain mess, high tension with other world powers, inflation and where EPA regs seems to be going so I decided to upgrade. Space is less and the 8th seat probably won't be worth my kids hassle of stepping over the anchor and cover cleverly disguised as cupholders. Gas mileage of 34 with 6 people in the car with 4 car seats is reasonably attainable. Could probably go higher.
Interestingly, the dealership sold it with a compact spare tire. Was initially excited about when I thought that surely a dealership wouldn't sell me a car with equipment that might damage it. Going to try to call Toyota to get a better understanding of the risks of using a tire that has 1 3/4 in less diameter than the other tires with AWD. Any input from technical knowledge or experience would be awesome

·
Super Moderator
433 Posts
Hello and welcome to Sienna Chat! Interesting point you raise about the spare being 1 3/4" less in diameter on an AWD vehicle. Let us know what you find out. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Called Toyota Care. No commitment on warranty even though the spare was factory installed equipment. They recommended calling local service department. What I learned from that conversation was don't drive it with the donut for a month or 5000 miles. Emergency use for less than 200 miles was said to be unlikely to cause undue wear.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Extreme caution for any distance! Want to keep in mind how extensively that donut will impact the multiple brake safety system
I was also wondering how long it would take the smaller donut to confuse the e-AWD, traction control, and also probably TPMS - and could it potentially shut the van down on "multiple emergencies". I hope I will never have to find out :)

My van came w/o a donut, so I got myself a full-size spare wheel with the TPMS sensor so it can be rotated along with the 4 other wheels. But now I am trying to get the donut as well, as the spare wheel is taking a whole lot of space behind the 2nd row, making it harder for the work- and weekend gear to fit in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts