Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sienna Limited AWD with the optional OEM HID headlights. I need new bulbs and just bought an aftermarket pair off Amazon. When I ordered them, I hadn't yet noticed the following from the Toyota manual:

Discharge headlights (if equipped)
  • Contact your Toyota dealer before replacing the discharge headlights (including light bulbs).
  • Do not touch the discharge headlight’s high voltage socket when the headlights are turned on.
    An extremely high voltage of 30000 V will be discharged and could result in serious injury or death by electric shock.
  • Do not attempt to take apart or repair the low beam headlight bulbs, connectors, power supply circuits, or related components.
    Doing so could result in electric shock and death or serious injury.
Clearly, they are strongly encouraging people to get the Xenon HID bulbs replaced by a dealer, even though they encourage people with the halogen bulbs to DIY.

Should I give up on swapping out the HID (d4s) bulbs myself? Are the steps for replacing them any different than the steps for replacing the halogen bulbs?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,945 Posts
If you are sensible and careful, you should not have any issues. But like the book says, you are dealing with very high voltage with sufficient current that it can kill. Lights off, ignition off. If you are really concerned about possible faults in your vehicle, disconnect the battery. This is not a 'hot swap' opportunity!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Sienna Limited AWD with the optional OEM HID headlights. I need new bulbs and just bought an aftermarket pair off Amazon. When I ordered them, I hadn't yet noticed the following from the Toyota manual:

Clearly, they are strongly encouraging people to get the Xenon HID bulbs replaced by a dealer, even though they encourage people with the halogen bulbs to DIY.

Should I give up on swapping out the HID (d4s) bulbs myself? Are the steps for replacing them any different than the steps for replacing the halogen bulbs?

thanks.
So what did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat. Bought the $150 light bulbs thinking I could change it in a jiffy but after taking apart the headlight housing, I quickly figured it out was not going to be so simple. Now I'm thinking I should pony up the $160 installation fee as well. Sounds a little hazardous, especially for someone like me who is barely a weekend warrior under the hood.

·
Registered
211 Posts
easy swap out guys. the ballasts for the OEM HID are part of the cap. Twist off, turn the igniter to remove from bulb. Undo the "paper clip" style retainers and remove bulb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
easy swap out guys. the ballasts for the OEM HID are part of the cap. Twist off, turn the igniter to remove from bulb. Undo the "paper clip" style retainers and remove bulb.
Thanks for this. I'm picking up a 2016 with 50K miles on Saturday and was wondering what was involved in the HID replacement when the time comes that I need to do so. I honestly don't know how long to expect these to last. I know HIDs of old were rated around 3,000 hours but I'm not sure how that typically translates to cars as I was using them in spotlights and they pretty much never went out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for this. I'm picking up a 2016 with 50K miles on Saturday and was wondering what was involved in the HID replacement when the time comes that I need to do so. I honestly don't know how long to expect these to last. I know HIDs of old were rated around 3,000 hours but I'm not sure how that typically translates to cars as I was using them in spotlights and they pretty much never went out.
I would recommend picking some Osram CBI or CBB from Lightwerkz.net or The Retrofit Source. They are authorized dealers and will have the real genuine stuff. I don't trust most other sellers online to be genuine.

Lightwerkz has an eBay store and sometimes its cheaper on their eBay store than on their site.

I just picked up some new D2S CBB for my wife's retrofitted lights for $125 from Lightwerkz' eBay store compared to $155 on their site. I'm currently running some 6 year old D4S CBIs from my Lexus IS' on her car.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Factory installed HID bulbs often last the life of a vehicle with their efficiency declining shortly before they fail. My last vehicle with factory HID headlights was still on its original HID bulbs when I sold it at 14 years / 180,000 miles.

If you do need to replace an HID bulb, replace both at the same time, avoid high Kelvin "cool blue" bulbs and buy bulbs similar to OEM that have Kelvin ratings no higher than 4,300. Bulbs with higher Kelvin ratings produce less usable light for the driver and more glare for oncoming drivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts