Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sienna Limited AWD with the optional OEM HID headlights. I need new bulbs and just bought an aftermarket pair off Amazon. When I ordered them, I hadn't yet noticed the following from the Toyota manual:

Discharge headlights (if equipped)
  • Contact your Toyota dealer before replacing the discharge headlights (including light bulbs).
  • Do not touch the discharge headlight’s high voltage socket when the headlights are turned on.
    An extremely high voltage of 30000 V will be discharged and could result in serious injury or death by electric shock.
  • Do not attempt to take apart or repair the low beam headlight bulbs, connectors, power supply circuits, or related components.
    Doing so could result in electric shock and death or serious injury.
Clearly, they are strongly encouraging people to get the Xenon HID bulbs replaced by a dealer, even though they encourage people with the halogen bulbs to DIY.

Should I give up on swapping out the HID (d4s) bulbs myself? Are the steps for replacing them any different than the steps for replacing the halogen bulbs?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
If you are sensible and careful, you should not have any issues. But like the book says, you are dealing with very high voltage with sufficient current that it can kill. Lights off, ignition off. If you are really concerned about possible faults in your vehicle, disconnect the battery. This is not a 'hot swap' opportunity!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts