Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got in a wreck earlier today, other driver ran the red light him having front end damage not as bad as the damage as on my sienna.

I on the other hand have the whole entire side destroyed, I'm betting insurance is going to total it.

I've had her since 2014 when I bought with 98k miles she was always serviced at the dealer before me, Engine and trans are still good and have been regularly maintained.

261k miles, recently replaced the driveshaft and radiator actually last week for the radiator.
I'm probably going to look for a 2nd gen or early 3rd gen as a replacement but if insurance gives me barely anything I'm going to part it out instead of accepting their offer.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,599 Posts
Hey Jagz, sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you find another to take its place. Glad you are ok!

Reactions: SilverMachine

·
Registered
2016 Sienna XLE FWD
162 Posts
Sorry to hear, looks like it did it’s job!

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jagz, sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you find another to take its place. Glad you are ok!
Yeah, I'm glad no one was sitting in the middle row else that could have been way worse, door went inside about 6 inches and the seat prevented it from going any farther in, Just looking at the current prices of sienna's I'm not liking it and I need a minivan badly as I need a lot of room.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
101 Posts
multiple air bags were deployed. 99-100% most insurance would total it.. especially, considering the other structural damages as well.

each airbag by themselves are very expensive and then you have to account for it's also expensive modules and sensors.. Often, just like the airbags, those modules and sensors are designed to be a one-time use item(s).

·
Registered
2004 Sienna 210,000 miles
58 Posts
Got in a wreck earlier today, other driver ran the red light him having front end damage not as bad as the damage as on my sienna.

I on the other hand have the whole entire side destroyed, I'm betting insurance is going to total it.

I've had her since 2014 when I bought with 98k miles she was always serviced at the dealer before me, Engine and trans are still good and have been regularly maintained.

261k miles, recently replaced the driveshaft and radiator actually last week for the radiator.
I'm probably going to look for a 2nd gen or early 3rd gen as a replacement but if insurance gives me barely anything I'm going to part it out instead of accepting their offer. View attachment 52203
How do you part it out? Is it legal to sell used parts? I’m just curious, maybe I could do that with my 2004 eventually

·
Registered
281 Posts
Glad the Sienna kept you safe. Thankfully, yeah, nobody was sitting in the 2nd row. 100% totaled.

Do NOT settle for a measly amount with the insurance company. Accident is not your fault, they are legally required to make you whole. Fight them as necessary. Challenge them to find comparable Siennas for sale if they lowball you. Show them the receipts of the recent parts you put in and that the van was in tip-top shape. With the market the way it is now, don't let the insurance company give you less than it would take for you to replace it with a similar van. You are also entitled to sales tax, registration fees, etc. that you would need to incur to buy the same exact van back.

You can also inquire about buying back the totaled van, but make that a separate negotiation after you agreed on a settlement price. If the buyback price is low, you could buy it back for parts. It will have a salvage title, but that won't matter if it's only for parts.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
multiple air bags were deployed. 99-100% most insurance would total it.. especially, considering the other structural damages as well.

each airbag by themselves are very expensive and then you have to account for it's also expensive modules and sensors.. Often, just like the airbags, those modules and sensors are designed to be a one-time use item(s).
The only airbags that deployed were the roof airbag and seat airbag, though the rear axle beam has also bent, somehow the right side quarter also got a dent during this crash even though it didn't hit anything,

I'm assuming something shifted badly as the trunk has a gap on the right side where you can put your hand in it pretty much and the trunk suffered no damage.
hopefully on Monday I'll get some good news as this year for me has been slowly getting worse and worse.

Glad the Sienna kept you safe. Thankfully, yeah, nobody was sitting in the 2nd row. 100% totaled.

Do NOT settle for a measly amount with the insurance company. Accident is not your fault, they are legally required to make you whole. Fight them as necessary. Challenge them to find comparable Siennas for sale if they lowball you. Show them the receipts of the recent parts you put in and that the van was in tip-top shape. With the market the way it is now, don't let the insurance company give you less than it would take for you to replace it with a similar van. You are also entitled to sales tax, registration fees, etc. that you would need to incur to buy the same exact van back.

You can also inquire about buying back the totaled van, but make that a separate negotiation after you agreed on a settlement price. If the buyback price is low, you could buy it back for parts. It will have a salvage title, but that won't matter if it's only for parts.
Thank you for those tips, I'm hoping they don't lowball me but knowing insurance companies they will try their hardest to not payout a lot.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
173 Posts
Vans are super expensive right now and that makes your van expensive to replace. Be sure you can actually get a comparable van for that money before you accept. You may have to ask for what seems like a ludicrous increase in payout, but do it if needed.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,599 Posts
A neighbor of mine rebuilt two cars a while back. He had both inspected by the authorities and they are back on the road. The first inspection was "easy" but the second one was not as he had to show legitimate receipt for just about all major parts that were installed. So if you decide to part out to a rebuilder be prepared to provide pertinent proof that your vehicle was sold to you by the insurance company and that you are the legitimate owner selling the parts. A bill of sale to the purchaser with all pertinent information will help the rebuilder immensely. Just saying.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on this, Insurance is offering me $6k for it, I'm probably going to take it and put it as a down payment towards a older 3rd gen, I don't want to give the engine up as it doesn't even burn 1 drop of oil, but I need a minivan.

For the cosmetic condition it was in before the wreck 2 right doors dented and right rear quarter and one door the wrong color I feel like it's worth it, It probably could have lasted up to 300k miles but life doesn't give you want you always want.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
173 Posts
That sounds pretty good for a 250k+ mile car that wasn't cosmetically great. Depending on how picky you are about the replacement, that will get you 40~60% of a 150k mile replacement early Gen3.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Update on this, Insurance is offering me $6k for it, I'm probably going to take it and put it as a down payment towards a older 3rd gen, I don't want to give the engine up as it doesn't even burn 1 drop of oil, but I need a minivan.

For the cosmetic condition it was in before the wreck 2 right doors dented and right rear quarter and one door the wrong color I feel like it's worth it, It probably could have lasted up to 300k miles but life doesn't give you want you always want.
Have you completely ruled out the Gen 4? I know it's expensive and not very easy to get hold of, but a new hybrid sienna might save you like 15 grand over 200k miles, or even more if the gas prices continue to creep up

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you completely ruled out the Gen 4? I know it's expensive and not very easy to get hold of, but a new hybrid sienna might save you like 15 grand over 200k miles, or even more if the gas prices continue to creep up
Right now I'm really struggling with money, so a 4th gen is out of the picture for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,522 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK.

Used car prices are pretty crazy right now, and pricing something is highly dependent on daily market changes. You have nothing to lose by putting up a bit of a challenge and asking for $1-1.5k more and see if they bite.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna LE
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear that you are OK.

Used car prices are pretty crazy right now, and pricing something is highly dependent on daily market changes. You have nothing to lose by putting up a bit of a challenge and asking for $1-1.5k more and see if they bite.
I tried asking for a $1000 more but they wouldn't budge, especially because I had some damage on the right side.

But yeah, a little bit more and it could have hit the drivers side door and been way worse.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree that $6K is a very fair (actually, quite geneous) offer for your van.

That being said, it will probably be hard to fight them on the valuation itself. Make sure they are adding back the appropriate sales tax, registration, license plate, title, inspection fees on the offer they are giving you. If they are saying your Sienna was worth $6K, you will need to pay all these fees when buying the exact replacement car, meaning it would cost you $6500-7000 to "make you whole" with the same exact car. If they aren't providing a rental, you could also ask for a small amount as compensation for "loss of use" since you will "need" to rent a car for a few days while you are shopping for a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts