Why would you listen to people telling to get a SUV? It's ultimately your decision.
I have owned many SUVs, here why I went with a van.
- More space for my wife and the kids in the back
- Van can haul more stuff on the back for trips anywhere
- Crash testing just as good as any on the market
- Had milage is almost as good as our Subaru Ascent
- Comfortable for me 2-3 hr drives so far but I'm planning on a 700 mile trip in the next week
- If you get AWD, it's just as capable as and SUV
So the question is why do you want a SUV? Do you go off road often or just road trips and grocery runs?
I can tell you I'm happy with my 2011 XLE as it has just as much amenities as my Subaru that's made in 2019. Including push start, heated seats, trajectory backup, etc. I actually bought it for $1k under KBB last year from original owners with 58k for $17500.
If you look at my profile I've updated a lot of things due to it being over 10 yrs old now not because if the milage. But it's going to ensure it will last me 10+ yrs without any needed maintenance on the near future.
You can't go wrong with a minivan if you have kids. Trust me, it's easier to get in your kid(s) then a SUV.