Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried ordering a bunch of parts from Rock Auto. Here is the message I received:

"We cannot ship to this address because it requires sales tax paid separately to state and city governments. We comply with state-administered taxes nationwide but we do not have the capacity to file city tax returns in places where we have no physical presence. "

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's weird, what are you going to do? Hope it's not a trend. Maybe soon everybody will have to get a sales & use tax permit to pay the sales tax themselves just to buy online. Then you'll have to fill out the stinking form, once a year at least. One advantage is often the prices are less because sellers think your a business.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colorado, Boulder County, Longmont. Not sure what my next plan is. Tried the same order on carid but the total was a lot more. Maybe ship to a friend's house that lives in the county? Anyone have another on-line suggestion? Started filling out on partsgeek but shipping was racking up quickly. Higher cost on Amazon too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the order sent to a colleague that lives in an unincorporated part of the county.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You have no idea the nightmare that sales tax has become for companies.

You know that tax return you have to file every year? You have to file maybe two or three (federal, state and maybe city) each year. Now imagine that your business has to file THOUSANDS of returns every year. Federal, state, and then sales tax returns to all 50 states and then all these local counties in each state that collect sales tax and then local cities that collect sales tax. It's a nightmare.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I think I have a pretty good idea what the nightmare entails. It's BS. We never should have allowed on-line taxes. Brick-and-mortar pay sales tax, no shipping. On-line pay shipping, no sales tax. It all came out in the wash. The consumer should win, not government.

Was chatting with a colleague about this. Same guy I had the parts shipped to. For decades we did not pay sales tax on catalog orders. That was extended to the Internet. Then laws were passed compelling on-line merchants to collect sales tax. I'm curious if it would be possible to go back to a strickly catalog business, with all orders placed over a phone, and not collect sales tax? If the answer is technically, yes, then the search would be for a business that could fill that niche.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts