Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lovely little problem here. I live in SW CO and I've been besieged by rodents this year. I've had to seal off my cabin air intake with chicken wire after they made a nest on top of the cabin air filter. I've cleaned a nest out of the engine air filter box. I've cleaned a nest out of the space just beneath the windshield, just outside the cabin air entry point. I've cleaned a nest from under the foam engine cover.

And now, I just cleaned a nest off the top of the air intake. A big nest. They chewed through the extra foam surrounding the large engine breather hose and they chewed clean through one of the small evaporative lines that goes up and over the engine towards the back of it.

You can see the severed hose in the pics. Its the one that sticks up in the air and is cut off at about a 45 degree angle. It appears to go towards the back of the engine, and that is my question: Anyone know where it does go?

Since I've already had to fix a wiper washer hose these rodents chewed through, I am skilled with the brass barb connnector method. I also have extra hose...

If you have any other tips about how to try to stop these rodents from attacking my Sienna, lets hear em. I am gonna be checking under there at least weekly for a while to try to keep this from happening again. PITA.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
263 Posts
That must be super frustrating. Sorry you are going through this. I would set out a lot of snap traps in the engine bay and around the car. Maybe zip-tie some to things in the engine bay so they stay in place and are easy to reset when you park.

·
Registered
2016 Sienna XLE FWD
166 Posts
I suppose its better than electronic wires. Maybe a pet ( outdoor only ) farm cat would fix things.
I had similar issues in CA with ground squirrels eating electrical wires on a VW. I’ve had to chicken wire x3 Toyotas to keep mice out of the cabin air filters. Ultimately I had to go to war with the ground squirrels. I picked up a super quite Remington Vantage 1200 pellet gun that did the trick.

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
451 Posts
I have heard that Irish Spring soap is not tolerated by the critters. If the van is being stored, cut a cake of soap into a few pieces and place them in various places under the hood. Put them in a paper bowl or some other shallow container, as they tend to slime up a bit, sort of a slow 'melting', which makes a mess.

Critters chewed through some wiring on my son's truck that is stored at my place. I did not have any Irish Spring on hand, so I tried Coast soap. So far, the repaired wires are still intact and I have not seen any further damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts