Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I currently own a 2003 Sienna, but I'm upgrading to a 2013 (LE), and I just noticed that the new van will NOT include cross bars between the roof rails. Any chance I can just use the OEM cross bars from my '03? Or are they incompatible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
They are not compatible. The 3rd Gen cross bars are clamp on. The 2nd Gen cross bars are not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot!

I'll start digging through these forums for related information, but maybe someone can offer a spoiler:
Should I stick with Toyota cross bars for this purpose, or is it okay to use one of the hundred other options that are popping up on Amazon?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought some used OEM crossbars from ebay for about $50 shipped. Probably a junkyard has them cheap, too. I am not sure how much weight you need to carry. I have a pretty big Thule Cascade cargo box, so I am guessing it's around 150 lbs filled with stuff and I've had it for 3+ years with no issues. We drove it 3k miles in 2019 completely stuffed with suitcases and whatnot for the long trip.

The one thing about it is that the box slightly leans because the rails are curved. I do have a set of Thule straight bars, but they add several inches of height to the overall profile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts