Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost bought XLE AWD and stopped when I noticed it did not have roof rails (front to back runners). Dealer couldnt figure out if they can be installed post-production. Anybody have insight on whether roof rack can be installed onto a existing vehicle?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Roof rails are an option, not standard unfortunately. If you look at the roof again in person, do you see cutouts on the roof that look like they could be removed, and rails installed perhaps? I can't find any pics of the roof online to see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When configuring on Toyota's website you can configure an XLE with roof rails, or roof rails and spare tire package, but you cannot configure one with the XLE Plus package and roof rails. At least in SoCal you can't, which I believe this configurator is based off region. It might be a regional availability thing since there aren't very many on lots right now, or it might be a weight limit thing as discussed in other forums about the GVWR of >6000 lb and loading up on options.

A weird thing for the vehicle I configured an LE AWD with spare tire and roof rails is that it wouldn't let me add the cargo tray mat and stated I must remove spare tire to add a mat. I'm wondering the same thing though can you just add the roof rails after purchase?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I checked the website and could not find an aftermarket roof rails option, so it looks like (for now) you will need to buy it included. Or the dealership will need to special order it as an option for you without going all in on a package option.

If I'm buying this thinking I might need to put something on top at some point, then it's better to get it now than tinker with it in the future.

I bought a car without the roof rails, and in the 7 years I've had it, never even missed it. It's easier to wash the roof as well without the rails in the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW - since the 2nd row seats are now non-removable, maybe it might actually be a good idea to have roof rails going forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From the Mid Atlantic region, configurator shows: an XLE Plus package, XLE Plus Package with options, and XLE Plus package with options & spare tire. All 3 have the black roof rack, but the latter is only available in Ruby Flare Pearl (FWD XLE8) or Predawn Gray (FWD & AWD XLE).

LE Plus package isn't available with a spare tire. FWD spare+rack package is limited to 5 colors, AWD you can get spare or rack but not both, same with the XSE FWD. XSE AWD has 2 spare+rack packages.

Limited & Platinum (chrome rack std): FWD Entertainment package w/spare only comes in Blizzard Pearl. AWD Entertainment package isn't available with a spare.

Anyone else confused?

·
Registered
75 Posts
From the Mid Atlantic region, configurator shows: an XLE Plus package, XLE Plus Package with options, and XLE Plus package with options & spare tire. All 3 have the black roof rack, but the latter is only available in Ruby Flare Pearl (FWD XLE8) or Predawn Gray (FWD & AWD XLE).

LE Plus package isn't available with a spare tire. FWD spare+rack package is limited to 5 colors, AWD you can get spare or rack but not both, same with the XSE FWD. XSE AWD has 2 spare+rack packages.

Limited & Platinum (chrome rack std): FWD Entertainment package w/spare only comes in Blizzard Pearl. AWD Entertainment package isn't available with a spare.

Anyone else confused?
I think the configurator has been modified to reflect what Toyota has manufactured for your area and wants you to buy, vs. a true build tool for you to experiment with.

VW did something similar/more extreme a few years ago, rendered the configurator useless. I recall they eventually realized this wasn't smart and restored it, but I've not been back to a VW configurator in years to check it out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think the configurator has been modified to reflect what Toyota has manufactured for your area and wants you to buy, vs. a true build tool for you to experiment with.
That makes a lot of sense. I hope you are right! This would explain a lot of this option or that being only available in certain colors.

I also hope they change it to a more typical configurator setup!

-Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went to dealer to order a 2021 Sienna LE Silver AWD Spare Tire+Roof Rails. They could order this combo but not in Silver or they could do Silver with Tire but no roof rails. Dealer couldn’t tell me whether I could install the rails myself later. I thought the dealer could configure and order whatever was a viable configuration for the trim you wanted but was told they can only order what you can configure on the Website. Ended up leaving. I’d order if I knew for sure I could install the rails later myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Find another dealer that‘s willing to work a bit harder. Toyota makes it hard for lazy salesmen to be less lazy.

Hard to believe Toyota sparked JIT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts