Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve searched high and low and have turned up zero information.
Has anyone tried, succeeded, or failed with mounting a rooftop tent to their Sienna? I can be the only guy with an AWD Sienna that wants a rooftop tent.
Or am I?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
A tent on your roof would probably be fine as long as people didn't get in it. My 2014 Sienna owners manual includes the following text:

"Do not exceed 150 lb. (68 kg) cargo weight on the roof luggage carrier."

There is also a caution from Yakima at https://yakimasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235808548-Will-a-Roof-Top-Tent-Fit-my-Car- :

"Never use a rooftop tent with any vehicle whose rooftop load limit is under 165 lbs."

I've seen a collapsed minivan roof. I didn't check a rental before I accepted it about 15 years ago and found when I returned it that a previous renter had damaged the roof by overloading the luggage carrier. The rental agency tried to charge me for the damage but I convinced them that I had only carried passengers during the one day rental. As much as the roof was collapsed, I was surprised it wasn't obvious from inside the van.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't mix up static and dynamic loads. Dynamic (while driving) load shouldn't exceed 150 pounds. Can you go higher safely? Maybe. Static (parked) loading can be much higher. How high? Who knows, manufacturers don't publish that info. But two people in a RTT on a parked Sienna should be ok. And yes, do not drive with people in the tent!

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Don't mix up static and dynamic loads. Dynamic (while driving) load shouldn't exceed 150 pounds. Can you go higher safely? Maybe. Static (parked) loading can be much higher.
It might depend on how "dynamic" your two people in the tent get! >:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love this dialogue. Thanks for the input guys. I can’t believe this haven’t been tried yet...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Here's a fun and informative video about the pros and cons of roof top tents that includes information about static and dynamic loads:

And this video shows 14 pretty amazing roof top tents - I had no idea this was such a developed industry:

One small roof top tent is shown on a Subaru wagon and another on a Mini Cooper. I apologize if this is old news.

This thread reminds me that I have five tents in my storage room ... from a 6 lb. backpacking tent to a huge tent that can sleep 6 to 8. I need to be getting rid of this stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the video and info. I was suspicious about static vs dynamic. I’m leaning more and more toward this can happen and should be a thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the load rating is for the roof rack. The 150 lb. rating is likely designed with a factor of safety such that you could put 150 lbs. the center of the rack and not cause damage. However, I have absolutely put more than 150 lbs. on it, without issue, distributed closer to the outside edges. In addition, I am confident that, if you secured your roof tent platform over the rails rather than the cross pieces it will be totally fine. Depending on how you do it, you could also distribute additional load to the roof itself. I typically buy 3 dozen bags of much every Spring. If I get them a day after it rains, they are dripping mulch-water. I will just toss them right on the roof. I have tossed 4 in between the front and back crossbar and 2 more between the back crossbar and the "spoiler". So, that would be about 200 lbs. of weight directly on the roof sheet metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are some expensive options... These are some pretty sleek roof top tents.

Auto home us dot com

Don't know why it's rejecting the link...

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I’ve searched high and low and have turned up zero information.
Has anyone tried, succeeded, or failed with mounting a rooftop tent to their Sienna? I can be the only guy with an AWD Sienna that wants a rooftop tent.
Or am I?
Thanks.

We have had great success! The static weight limit is 150 but the dynamic limit is not listed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts