Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one has set up a rooftop tent on a Sienna? This tent is set up on the roof rail of the van
I wan to buy a rooftop tent on my sienna 2011 however I am concern about the weight limitations. The tent is for 4 people so I think it will be holding 700 pounds.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,446 Posts
The rails are rated for 150 lbs. While the van meets federal rollover standards for crush resistance, that's not the same as being cosmetically unblemished. I can't even conceive of 700 lbs on the roof without something taking a beating.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,446 Posts
600 lbs carefully loaded and evenly distributed is a bit different from 4 adults moving around, but hey, give it a try if that's your thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don't try it on the OEM crossbars. No way will they hold that. They are pretty flimsy. I've got them and moving to a higher grade crossbar.

They side rails are much stronger.

Strength Ratings - just my opinion here
If fibber2 says so the rails must be rated for a static capacity of 150 lbs. IMHO this has to be the dead load rating based on the maximum live load under braking/accident conditions. The true dead load rating is higher surely. You wouldn't drive around with 700 lbs up there. However, movement up there will cause some live load but much much less than under braking. You can look here at a car crash calculator. 150 lbs becomes 6,000 lbs of force in an accident at 35 mph.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/carcr2.html

Yakima has a 3 person tent and says 600 lbs of people and 115 lb tent. I'd write them and ask about the ratings. They are a solid long standing company. If this was sketchy I don't think they wouldn't sell it.
https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-tent-medium

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you go through the fit my car on the home page it shows up as fitting but then says this if you add it to the car:
"At Yakima, your safety is our number one priority. After careful evaluation, we have determined that your vehicle is not certified for use with Yakima SkyRise tents. Not all vehicles have the necessary strength to support the required loads of a roof top tent. Purchase at your own risk"

I'd think 4 people on the roof is a lot but 2 people maybe more reasonable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen pictures of people with roof top tents on their Siennas. I also wrote Toyota (no reply) regarding the static and dynamic weight limits for the factory rails. I'd love the opportunity to add a roof top tent and do some carcamping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no telling what the Yakima website is basing its evaluation on:
if they go by the 150lbs factory max load, obviously they recommend not to put on a tent that is 170/180 lbs
but if you change the cross rails to better specs, the question remains ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does any one has set up a rooftop tent on a Sienna? This tent is set up on the roof rail of the van

I wan to buy a rooftop tent on my sienna 2011 however I am concern about the weight limitations. The tent is for 4 people so I think it will be holding 700 pounds.

Thanks

Just curious what you ended up doing here. Did you do the rooftop tent??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

So we put this Smittybuilt XL tent on our roof and traveled 3,000 miles with it sleeping 5 (2 adults, 5,3,1yo kids, maybe 450# plus the #140 tent) at least 7 nights. I was worried about the roof rail on the side of the van that supports the middle of the tent as there is some flex with the weight. I took of the roof rail cover in the back and the plastic internals made me more nervous. I started off by putting two wedges (wood door stops) together with a strap to create a mid-span support but honestly after a few very windy nights I stopped worrying about it an forgot the additional support. No problems to report. We had a blast.

One unrelated note, with our stuff, tent and bikes on the hitch, I did decide to add Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit to support the rear suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 49935

So we put this Smittybuilt XL tent on our roof and traveled 3,000 miles with it sleeping 5 (2 adults, 5,3,1yo kids, maybe 450# plus the #140 tent) at least 7 nights. I was worried about the roof rail on the side of the van that supports the middle of the tent as there is some flex with the weight. I took of the roof rail cover in the back and the plastic internals made me more nervous. I started off by putting two wedges (wood door stops) together with a strap to create a mid-span support but honestly after a few very windy nights I stopped worrying about it an forgot the additional support. No problems to report. We had a blast.

One unrelated note, with our stuff, tent and bikes on the hitch, I did decide to add Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit to support the rear suspension.
Was that on the OEM crossbars? Your setup makes me hopeful to do a similar thing on mine. TYIA!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was that on the OEM crossbars? Your setup makes me hopeful to do a similar thing on mine. TYIA!
No, my Sienna didn’t have the OEM bars and it seemed like a PITA to try to get my hands underneath to bolt them on. Instead I got the Malone SteelTop crossbars from e-trailer mostly because they added the least high and because I could install the tent to the rails then put the entire thing on the Sienna and lock down the crossbars to the factory rails. Works great plus it gives you something to grab when you take it on/off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts