Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this discussion come up in a few different threads and thought I'd post some data here for others to add to.

We have a 2021 Limited AWD (AWD does not have ottomans and I'm not sure whether ottomans would affect the measurement). Last night after arriving home I moved the driver's seat as far forward as I could then the seat behind that as far forward and tilted down (i.e. maximized the rear space).

I'm 6'4" and I was -- just barely -- able to lay in the back of the van. My head and feet were both close so I wouldn't say this was ideal but one person my height could definitely sleep on a diagonal and a couple of people a little shorter could likely sleep side by side.

This isn't something we're planning on doing but for anyone who is it also occurs to me that if you get a foot or so off the floor of the van you reach the part where the middle seat tapers forward (when it's in that stowed position). The dimensions of a twin or full air mattress are 75" long which would just fit in that space. The twin would definitely fit width-wise, the full is probably a few inches wider and I'm honestly not sure what happens if you inflate an air mattress inside a narrower space like that. Not sure if it still gets firm or if it moves around or bends, etc. But a single sleeper taller than me on a twin air mattress could probably put their head at the tailgate and put some kind of foam/pillow/stand between the seats to extend their space.

For your reference if you're contemplating purchasing the Sienna and are thinking about what sort of mattress/pad/etc will fit in the back, here's a 75" Sony TV slid into the back of a model we test-drove. The dimensions of this box are 71.5 x 43.63 x 7.5 and with the seats slid forward as I've described above it fit snugly length wise (the rear hatch does close) and with a very small bit of room left and right. In the picture below the driver's seat was still in my normal driving position so the middle seats might have been an inch or two from full forward. Anyhow, hopefully it gives a better sense for what size of mattress might fit in there.

Definitely not as convenient or spacious as if the seats were removed but wanted to mention the option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the added report confirming data (which really toyota should be putting on formal spects -- I saw 72" mesured in a video but the guy was not being very precise. Been looking as we are considering for a camper van usage (we DINKs) and it has been hard to find solid numbers. Based on this one of the "camper conversion" kits I was looking at (Arches | RiverLeaf Camper Con) will just fit with the seats left in and will have plenty of room if we remove them. I figured it would fit base on 6' length and the fact that it fit behind seats in the 2020 model, but real world measurements showing fit increase the chance we'll consider a 21 Sienna AWD.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the added report confirming data (which really toyota should be putting on formal spects -- I saw 72" mesured in a video but the guy was not being very precise. Been looking as we are considering for a camper van usage (we DINKs) and it has been hard to find solid numbers. Based on this one of the "camper conversion" kits I was looking at (Arches | RiverLeaf Camper Con) will just fit with the seats left in and will have plenty of room if we remove them. I figured it would fit base on 6' length and the fact that it fit behind seats in the 2020 model, but real world measurements showing fit increase the chance we'll consider a 21 Sienna AWD.
Great! Whether it would fit that size TV box was a must-have for us. There's often a disconnect between measurements and what will actually fit because of bulges/curves/bumps/etc so knowing that it will fit a solid box with those dimensions I thought would be useful info.

I assume you've seen the video posted elsewhere about removing the second row seats, right? Looking at those (very cool) camper conversion photos I have to say I'd probably consider the seat removal. It's not something I'd want to go back and forth with but if your DINK and it's mostly going to be 2 people riding the seat removal doesn't look like especially challenging, appears to be reversible and would give you a lot more room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great! Whether it would fit that size TV box was a must-have for us. There's often a disconnect between measurements and what will actually fit because of bulges/curves/bumps/etc so knowing that it will fit a solid box with those dimensions I thought would be useful info.

I assume you've seen the video posted elsewhere about removing the second row seats, right? Looking at those (very cool) camper conversion photos I have to say I'd probably consider the seat removal. It's not something I'd want to go back and forth with but if your DINK and it's mostly going to be 2 people riding the seat removal doesn't look like especially challenging, appears to be reversible and would give you a lot more room.
Thanks; Yes I've seen the videos (even reposted it another link for others) and even asked the video poster if they fit back on facing backwards (I doubt it given the asymmetric shape of slide). While our common multi-day trip to/from various families would be just 2, at the destinations we would have multiple people for local trips. And back at home we do lots of trips with students and guests around town, so while I may take them out now for some long trips, and then want a solution that does not require it for lots of our trips.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For car sleeping I highly recommend the much warmer, quieter, and leak proof TRI-fold memory foam mattresses.

Can't wait to car camp with full blown HVAC while being surrounded in glass/steel. Im usually in wide open spaces with high winds so its much better than any tent.

How long can you run the AC/heater before the engine kicks on? I used to get 20mins on our Prius when using AC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For car sleeping I highly recommend the much warmer, quieter, and leak proof TRI-fold memory foam mattresses.

Can't wait to car camp with full blown HVAC while being surrounded in glass/steel. Im usually in wide open spaces with high winds so its much better than any tent.

How long can you run the AC/heater before the engine kicks on? I used to get 20mins on our Prius when using AC.
Unless I'm mistaken there was a discussion elsewhere indicating that the van can only run idle for an hour before turning off for safety reasons. It didn't sound like overnight HVAC was a possibility.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken there was a discussion elsewhere indicating that the van can only run idle for an hour before turning off for safety reasons. It didn't sound like overnight HVAC was a possibility.
The discussion was that it CAN run for an unlimited time (per the owners manual). I believe there is a prompt on-screen to allow it to keep running.

-Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The discussion was that it CAN run for an unlimited time (per the owners manual). I believe there is a prompt on-screen to allow it to keep running.

-Mike
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Found the comment here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts