Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We are purchasing a new Sienna and trading in a 2002 Sienna. My wife has back and hip issues and comfort is a big deal for her. Running boards help her get in and out with less strain ... the 2021 does not have running board options. Does anyone have information on aftermarket products? My understanding from the sales manager is that foot sensor could also be a question.
Thanks, Shawn

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I’m not convinced you’d have enough ground clearance for running boards. There’s only about 8.5” of clearance from the lowest trim piece to the ground. Food for thought.

In case it helps your planning, distance from the ground to the “roof” area at the bottom of door opening is about 18”. .. the max height she’d need to lift her leg from exterior ground to interior van floor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know if you would have the clearance or not, but I can see the attraction. Just had to bring my adult niece home from the hospital after hip surgery. Even with the low clearance, it was extremely difficult for her to get in the van. The front passenger seat sits up quite high, and is not adjustable up/down at all (XSE w/plus). The second row seats sit a bit lower, but are set deep inside away from the sliding door. It was quite the experience getting her in the van. Running boards would have helped immensely. Getting out of the van would have been just as much a challange without a step stool available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for one myself. I have 3 little kids. They can climb in, but they are literally climbing to get in.

I saw this just now. It says the running board is compatible to the 2021 sienna, but their picture is of a previous generation sienna. hmmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m not convinced you’d have enough ground clearance for running boards. There’s only about 8.5” of clearance from the lowest trim piece to the ground. Food for thought.

In case it helps your planning, distance from the ground to the “roof” area at the bottom of door opening is about 18”. .. the max height she’d need to lift her leg from exterior ground to interior van floor.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very nice pics. Thank you for posting.

When get chance could you please post pics with doors [front and sliding] open.

• What was the issue with installation you posted prior and how did you resolve?
  • How long to install?
  • Needed to lift Sienna or can do on driveway?
  • Was it simple bolt on or required some mods?
  • What was cost and did it include everything for install?

Much thanks again and sorry for the many questions.

You're the first that I know of diy running boards other then the commercial installers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice pics. Thank you for posting.

When get chance could you please post pics with doors [front and sliding] open.

• What was the issue with installation you posted prior and how did you resolve?
  • How long to install?
  • Needed to lift Sienna or can do on driveway?
  • Was it simple bolt on or required some mods?
  • What was cost and did it include everything for install?

Much thanks again and sorry for the many questions.

You're the first that I know of diy running boards other then the commercial installers.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk Motor vehicle

Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,the total cost is $340 and I did my self on my dryway but need a power lift to work more easy. If you are not a handy or not have tools just go to any mechanic but they charge a lot of money. Was a 3 hours job. I did one modification on first attach because seller don’t sent me all accessories. Hopefully you got all information you need. If not ask,don’t worry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome!! Would it be possible to post the instructions? Our Sienna has a motorized wheelchair ramp in back so I want to check that the places it wants you to drill aren't blocked by the ramp hydraulics or anything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts