Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,698 Posts
It always has been!

The original US Generation 1 Odyssey (basically as you said - an Accord wagon) imported to the United States (1995-1998) was identical to the Japanese Odyssey. In 1998 Honda introduced a larger body and a new name for it's second 'minivan'.

The JDM market sold both the Odyssey (Accord sized) and the new LaGreat. Honda America stopped selling the smaller 'Odyssey' as Americans weren't interested in that size class. Instead they built the new LaGreat (IIRC, our's was produced in Canada), and renamed it the Odyssey for North America sales.

My sister bought the original imported Odyssey for her family in 1997, and we bought the new Odyssey (LaGreat) in 2002.

At that time I was still traveling to Japan occasionally doing equipment and factory evals, and we were hosting Japanese exchange students. There was a running joke that we now owned a Leg Rat (questionable pronunciation!). One of the 'kids' family had a Toyota Alphard, a ridiculously huge van given Japanese towns, roads, and taxing system.

By the time we (our whole family went for a visit to attend a wedding in Nagoya) returned in 2006, Honda had again downsized to the Elysion but also kept producing the smaller domestic Odyssey. The new 2005 US Odyssey was just a step too far for them.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Other way around on this product, IIRC. Honda sold a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
It's not all that much different than the 1987 Toyota Corolla I bough in late 1986 from a Chevrolet dealer. It was called a Chevrolet Nova CL, but we all knew what it was!

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety Package
95 Posts
The Isuzu Trooper was rebadged by Honda/Acura, as the Acura SLX 1996 to 1999. I owned a 1997 Trooper Limited and aside from its GM designed engine that filled with sludge even with regular oil changes, it was a great vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.