Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I replaced my shocks for the first time last week. I used Monroe 37301. The tops on these are metal, rather than the plastic that the OEM came with. Unfortunately, there is now a spot on the lower shock where the paint has scraped away. See the attached photos. I also occasionally hear a scraping noise.

Two questions:
1) Does this indicate something wrong with the installation? It was my first time doing shocks.
2) Is there something I can adjust to align the top with the lower shock better and prevent this scraping?

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did you raise the van to take those picture? Looks to my non-expert eyes that the shocks have hyperextended. Did you hold the shaft to prevent it from turning when tightening the upper nut? If you didn't then the inner seal could be damaged causing the shock to extend and the rear to look raised like a 4x4...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These photos are with the rear raised. I am guessing, but I think the area of the scrapes is probably where the end of the top sits normally. I will check tomorrow.

I did hold the shaft when I tightened the upper nut. I did, however, have to flip the lower shock 180 degrees when I installed it because the lower ring that sits on the car's lower shock mount was directional (wider at one end). Is this 180 degree turn enough to break that seal?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did the shocks suddenly expand? (I think you'd notice it's real obvious when they do).

Maybe someone else knows? Or call Monroe?

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Installation is fairly simple and there's not a ton you can do wrong. The only key step with all suspension parts is that you are supposed to just tighten the nuts/bolts and then lower it to the ground for final torque specifications. Other than that, this may just be normal expected behavior. I still have the originals on mine, so I have no experience with these. One possibility I could think of is that your bushings on your rear subframe were worn and, when you removed the shocks, that finished them off and now there's play in them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced my old stock shocks with the same Monroe 37301 shocks. They rubbed the same way your picture shows. There's no real good way to get that metal boot to keep perfectly aligned with the Monroe's. Both Monroe shocks blew out and were leaking withing 1000 miles.

I replaced with KYB Excel-G part # 344480. Way better quality vs the Monroe, in my particular experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @CTCHawaii. That is disappointing to hear, but comforting that my problem isn't unique. I will update this thread and see how they're doing in a thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks @CTCHawaii. That is disappointing to hear, but comforting that my problem isn't unique. I will update this thread and see how they're doing in a thousand miles or so.
No problem. I'd probably run the Monroes till they die. Maybe I just got a bad set. Hope they last you longer than 1000 miles. I never noticed any bad noises from the metal shock boots rubbing. The ride quality seems the same between the KYB and Monroe in my experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked at these again today. I think that by turning the shock top, I gained clearance on all sides. It's cocked relative to the lower shock, and the angle appears worse at some times than others. I hit the lower shock with a bit of paint to cover the scrapes. We'll see if they come back over time or if this helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts