Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XSE has minor but consistent noises coming from my second row captain chairs. It sounds like creaking or clicking when going over slightly textured roads. It seems like small shakes cause the chair to move slightly and make this clicking creak sound. It happens when the chair is locked in seating position without anyone sitting in it. When someone sits in it, it does it much less often but still does it. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes for me it comes from the 3rd row, and it would go away if I unlock the seats and slam them back into place. A slight to loud "creak" that vibrates w any bumps I go over. Will try to lube the spot where it clips into a bar if it comes back regularly...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My XSE has minor but consistent noises coming from my second row captain chairs. It sounds like creaking or clicking when going over slightly textured roads. It seems like small shakes cause the chair to move slightly and make this clicking creak sound. It happens when the chair is locked in seating position without anyone sitting in it. When someone sits in it, it does it much less often but still does it. Does anyone else have this issue?
I think I have a similar issue with the right captain's chair and someone else did as well. It turned out to be some loose plastic clip somewhere if I'm not mistaken and would make a rattling sound when there's no weight on the chair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have a similar issue with the right captain's chair and someone else did as well. It turned out to be some loose plastic clip somewhere if I'm not mistaken and would make a rattling sound when there's no weight on the chair.
Can you link me to where you read this? I couldn’t find it with the search feature. Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Theres a loop to unlatch the 2nd row seat on back bottom. Does the rattle continue if you pull it slightly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are having the same issue in our XLE. We have a bench configuration in the second row, and I can't tell if the clicking is coming from the chair behind the driver's seat or the middle drink console. I am planning to have the dealer look at it when I need to take it in, but would love it if someone has an easy fix. It definitely is driving me a little bonkers!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting that it said 3rd row.
I heard this noise from the 2nd row captains chair while sitting in the 3rd. And in zeroing in on it, seems to be the bottom of the chair.
If you sit on the 3rd row, noise goes away. Someone already mentioned its the latch area.
No idea what your next post is about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can hear rattle from my second row too, if I look back I can see them shaking on a bumpier road, not sure if it's normal because of the sliding design.

XSE awd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's nice to know things haven't changed at Toyota because my 2016 (3rd gen) has had the same noise since I bought new. It appears that the only time Toyota fixes a problem is when it's a safety issue (and only when the government forces them) or when they get slapped with a class action. Otherwise the standard line from them is it designed to work or sound like that. This one of the reasons I will probably never buy another Toyota. They are just not very responsive to customer issues after the sale.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My right 2nd row captain chair is stuck on the stowed position. Can't seem to keep it in the seating mode. Anybody has the same problem/solution?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two days ago, our driver-side 2nd row capt chair started the rattle/squeak. ('21 XLE AWD) Very frustrating having to apologize to every customer for this obnoxious design failure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am now having the same problem after a month of having our XSE. Did anyone find a resolution? My son rode in the 3rd row while I drove and claims he thinks its coming from the tilt mechanism of the captains chairs but its driving me crazy when no one is sitting in the back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both my son and I have laid down behind the driver-side, 2nd row chair to both feel and "echo locate" the rattle. It's certainly that chair. Even removing the lower plastic covers, we cannot see a moving piece. I'll be removing the seat entirely today to invert and dissect.
Oddly, this weekend, the rattle would attenuate sometimes and other times disappear entirely only to return.
Because it rattles even with the seat in the "closed/ ready-to-slide" position, I'm concerned it's coming from within the chair frame-plate itself and not easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
787 Posts
I've read of at least one owner resolving it by tightening every nut on every bolt. Some were ever so slightly loose / not torqued properly and the tightening fixed the rattle.
Here is a copy of one post on fixing it: The dealer took the seat out, removed the seat cover, and tightened the bolts.

"Update: it looks like the dealer was able to fix this. They used a "chassis ear tool" to locate the noise, which was coming from the driver's side 2nd row seat. They removed the seat and did a road test without the seat to confirm this was indeed the case. They then removed the bottom seat cover and inspected and re-secured each bolt. They then reinstalled the seat and did a road test to confirm the noise was gone. All this as per the work order."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Removing the seat and zip-tying the cable lines has worked so far (300 miles) in ending the rattle / squeak in the driver-side, second row captain chair.
This Youtube vid shows how to remove the seat. Very simple, though one of the four connecting bolts was torqued down by Angry Hulk himself. youtube.com/watch?v=24cYWBiTUwY (thanks to Brand Ling for creating that video)
I used a cooler to prop up the upside down, removed seat to make it easier to inspect.
Interestingly one cable line already had a loose(!) zip-tie, but I couldn't tell if it was factory installed or because I mentioned the rattle at the latest dealer freebie servicing.
I used a total of about eight zip ties under the seat.
I did not tighten any bolts under the seat.
I often had passengers in that seat who moved the seat, so the zip ties seem durable.
I'll report back if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the rattle was from the cables smacking against the chair and the zip ties keep them separated from it?
Yes, I used the zip ties to either affix the cable to a frame component of the chair or to another cable. I tried to take the free slack or 'bowing' out of the cables.
My rattle always had a bit of "spring" sound to it, the way it would attenuate when going over bumps. Like when you play with a door stopper, it makes the "sproinggggg" sound loudly at first then diminishes.
"Your rattle may vary." :)
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the cable on the door-side of the chair. But since I had the chair out of the van, I decided to do all of the cables.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts