Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Sienna FWD. 130K Miles.

Our van has a serious wobbling issue that is occurring during acceleration. It started on a recent road trip. Starting around 30 MPH or so the van will violently wobble back and forth. The steering wheel does not shake but the floor board and the seats shake. There is no noise or clunking associated with it. It will smooth itself out around 70 MPH and I can actually drive down the highway. I have recently done the following:

Replaced all 4 struts with KYB SR4144 and SR4145 in the front.
Replaced both CV Axles.
Rotated and balanced all 4 tires. Multiple times now.
Alignment performed.

This wobbling started after replacing the struts, CV joints and realigning the suspension. It was smooth as glass for about the first 100 miles into our trip then the wobbling got progressively worse so we turned around and made it home without getting stranded. After inspecting the van I have found no apparent loose wheel bearings, no bad motor mounts and everything looks OK. I did notice the steering rack does have a torn boot and it smells like burning oil and the reservoir is low. It is obvious now this rack needs to be replaced however could the steering rack cause this wobbling? I would think a bad steering rack would just cause the steering wheel to shake when decelerating.

I just don't want to start throwing money at this van and not find the issue. Googling this issue but I haven't found the exact resolution yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any chance you lost a wheel weight either an inner or outer? Also seems like this post should be moved into the Gen2 forum since it's a 2009: https://www.siennachat.com/forums/problems-maintenance-and-repair-gen-2.66/

You don't mention the ball joints did those also get replaced? Everything Torqued correctly? Seems like if it ran smooth for 100 miles and then you had an issue something came loose / jarred perhaps after hitting a hole which is why I am asking about the torque. Good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
First thing to think of with an acceleration wobble are the CV joints.

Although probably not related, my Gen-1 Sienna seemed to eat up its sway bar links. You'd be surprised how those things can effect the ride and make noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! This was a bit frustrating however it turned out to the new passenger side CV joint was defective. I got it replaced and its smooth as glass again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts