Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LE 163k miles . So today I backed out of my driveway shifted into drive and the transmission was stuck in reverse. I was able to move the lever to all positions and shifted to park and turned off the engine. Well I should not have done that as the car was still engaged in reverse and subsequent start attempts were futile , as the transmission was still in reverse. Nevertheless I was able with the help of my brother to push it back unto my driveway. While applying brakes (very hard) I was able to turn the ignition on and move the lever out of park indicating that the lock solenoid is working. I will soon report back with my findings.
Cheers

·
Registered
409 Posts
Was your van part of the shifter recall? You can plug your VIN into their site and see if it was recalled or if the service was already done if you bought it used.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mine is part of the recall , so from what I gather its just the solenoid that would be changed. I have to check the letter that I received to see if anything else is included.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I replaced the bushing in the linkage and did a visual check on the "bullet" cylinder. Seems fine for now.
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Paul, did you replace the bushing at the gear shifter end or at the transmission end? Do you have the part number? What did you mean by the "bullet" cylinder? My wife's 2004 Sienna had exactly the same problem today and it is now stuck in the garage at her work. Hopefully it is a quick fix. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi caprox. I replaced the bushing at the gear shifter.The bushing is available on amazon , search "shift cable repair kit 2004 sienna" there are two good choices. I used the one from bushing fix as I ordered from them directly not knowing at the time that it was available on amazon. There are videos on youtube showing how it is done. If the the plastic portion that the "bullet " rides in is broken then replacing the shift assembly with a brand new one from the dealer is about 300 bucks , ebay around 75 , and from a salvage yard under 20 bucks. It is not a difficult job to replace the bushing which requires removal of a few panels. Youtube shows this too. Good luck and report back. PS. My understanding is that toyota does not sell that bushing by itself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sure enough, it was the shift cable linkage bushing that had disintegrated. It is incredulous a small rubber ring could completely disabled the vehicle. For anyone interested, I found the Toyota part number for the bushing, 33835-08010, available on Amazon for $7 only: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RX21SMW, much better than what Bushingfix charges for their "kit". It turns out to be a perfect fit. All in all, it was an straightforward fix. Thank you for your help.
IMG_20191009_141641.jpg IMG_20191010_155141.jpg IMG_20191010_155423.jpg

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi caprox, Thanks for reporting back and the photos! I am glad you were able to fix it. Also thanks for the part number. I had no idea toyota even carried that bushing so it is nice to know. Take care
Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts