Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 15 XLE with approx 88k miles, I feel as if the front shocks have gone weak/soft. Am I just assuming things here or is there a solid proven sign to look for and determine that it is busted and needs replacement.

Also, I would like to replace the whole assembly as the springs after 88k miles would have gone softer, Correct ?? or am again assuming this...

If the whole assembly, what aftermarket brand is the best? has anyone gone this route? can you please post your experience.

Can I install SE complete assembly in my XLE just to get the tighter ride?? anyone done this conversion?? what are the pros and cons of doing this??

Any shock experts out there that can throw some light on my above questions or point to the correct posts/links etc..

Appreciate your help.

Javvy

·
Registered
310 Posts
I usually only replace my shocks if I can see that they are leaking and are no longer working. The springs should not go bad (get softer as you call it) that I am aware of. What does go bad is the shocks that dampen the bounce and force of the springs. Usually when you can see they are leaking is when they need to be replaced. FYI, I replaced both my rear shocks on my 2015 at about 55K miles due to both leaking. But the original ones on my 2011 are still good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The fronts are easier to as a package, unless you plan to compress the springs yourself, or have someone else do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At 88k the strut should not have gone bad. I replace mine on Sienna at around 150k. Relatively easy job, except you need a shock wrench to remove the top mount nut, assuming you have a pair of coil-spring compressor. will take you 4 hours for both. good luck and enjoy the thrill completing the job! A shop will charge you likely $800+. It cost me 80, plug a electric shock-wrench from Harborfreight for $59

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you please send me a link to this "electric shock-wrench from Harborfreight" ...

javvy

·
Registered
474 Posts
You can rent the strut spring compressors and other tools from any Advance Auto store in your neighborhood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts