Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Toyota sienna se with tech part
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, dear all.
i bought the 2015 sienna se 3 weeks ago.
after change the engine oil, they suggest me change the transmission fluid.
my sienna has 115k miles already, i had check the owner book, and did some research, in the owner book, it doesn't have the information about transmission fluid change interval. in the internet, someone said This transmission is Maintenance-free.
now i am confuse.
would you please let me know how do you deal with transmission fluid change.
thank you very much.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Although it isn't required by the maintenance schedule, a transmission fluid change at this milage is recommend for long transmission life. You should also think about having the spark plugs replaced. They are due at 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you don't have the maintenance history on the van then at this mileage i would avoid a full tranny flush and would only do multiple drain and refills. Start with one now and then do two more, 1K miles apart. After that get the van on a flush schedule every 25-30K.
I would say taht stick with the OEM WS fluid from Toyota. Nothing against other aftermarket equivalent fluids (Valvoline etc) that are spec'd to the same WS standard but with that high a mileage with lack of maintenance history, you would want to minimize the variables that could cause potential trouble

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The maintenance schedule for my 2014 specifies a transmission fluid change every 60,000 miles only when the vehicle is used under "special operating conditions" which includes "towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading". My towing is pretty light weight so I compromised and had a Toyota dealership change the transmission fluid at 90,000 miles. Maybe it wasn't necessary but I tend to be cautious.

I generally maintain vehicles under the special operating conditions or severe service maintenance schedule. Maybe it's wasteful but we've passed a number of vehicles to family members and friends that eventually went 300,000+ miles with no engine or transmission issues.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Using a roof box is heavy use? That's so strange, at most you're adding like 100/150 pounds.
Wind resistance makes the transmission work harder although it's probably not as bad with modern aerodynamic roof boxes. I remember the removable metal roof rack I used on a VW Rabbit I bought in 1975 - it was an official VW accessory. Piling luggage on it turned the car into a unstable slug on the highway due to the wind resistance. There's nothing like driving across Kansas in summer in a VW Rabbit with the windows down (no optional A/C) and luggage piled on top while dodging tumbleweeds flying across the highway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts