Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got the air bag kit and went to try to do the install this morning and have two issues:

1. I can't find anywhere with instructions for removing the bump stop, the kit install paperwork doesn't mention anything about it.
2. The bottom center of the coil spring mount is solid, I have no idea how the air line would get routed other than drilling a hole through the center of the spring plate.

Would love any insight from folks, I'm not sure I want to be making destructive modifications to the van without knowing exactly what to do :p

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Automotive wheel system Coil

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Bumper Wood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well as much as I want to DIY this install the Jounce bumper removal looks like it is out of my comfort zone. As far as I can tell I need to remove the coil spring top cap to get to the bumper from above to remove the nut holding the bumper in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to try to have the airbags put in at the same time as the 3" Journey lift in my '22 AWD in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

The instructions linked above are more detailed than what came in my 4155 box. I can't figure out why they would say to put the protector on top for toyota vans - unless it's to deflect the edge of the jounce bumper cup.

And then it makes me wonder which toyota vans they're referring to - Gen 2 or 3 or 4. If the protector goes on top should the airline go up?

The shop was talking about installing the airlines upwards which would be preferable as the airlines are less likely to be snagged. It would probably involve drilling into the journey spacers as well.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
169 Posts
I'm going to try to have the airbags put in at the same time as the 3" Journey lift in my '22 AWD in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

The instructions linked above are more detailed than what came in my 4155 box. I can't figure out why they would say to put the protector on top for toyota vans - unless it's to deflect the edge of the jounce bumper cup.

And then it makes me wonder which toyota vans they're referring to - Gen 2 or 3 or 4. If the protector goes on top should the airline go up?

The shop was talking about installing the airlines upwards which would be preferable as the airlines are less likely to be snagged. It would probably involve drilling into the journey spacers as well.
@Husume - Just checking back to see if you have had the airbags put in yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Husume - Just checking back to see if you have had the airbags put in yet?
Not scheduled scheduled to do the install until the end of June.

What I've learned is that the instructions on the e-trailer site for the 4155 bags are the most accurate. If you cut away the jounce stop and drill a hole in the bottom spring mount you can run the airlines out the bottom.

The instructions say to put the plastic plate on top of the bag - presumably to cushion the bag from the remains of the jounce stop. The question then is how does it stay in place?

Running airlines out the bottom seems like a higher chance of snagging. Journey has an AWD Sienna in this week (or maybe last week) and they're going to see if it's possible to run airlines out the top of the spring by drilling through the bottom of the journey spacer, and making a second hole out the side of it for the airline. The saga continues.

Putting in airbags on the models with jounce stops is going to be less DIY if you have to cut away jounce stops and drill holes in spring mounts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm taking the van into a suspension shop on Wednesday to have them remove the bump stop. As much as I want to DIY the install I'm not comfortable mucking with unloading/loading the coil springs. I'm planning on DIYing the rest of the install next weekend. I'll try to set up the GoPro and capture as much of the process as I can.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The nut is only accessible with this top plate unbolted from the chassis and you can only do that with the strut disconnected and the arm lowered to remove any compression from the spring. There are others that have DIY'd this work but I wasn't comfortable taking on work where if I made even a small mistake I could really hurt myself or damage the van. I paid a local suspension shop a few hundred dollars to remove the stops instead. I wish I had known all this back when I got the 2" lift installed and would have just had them remove the stops during that project.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Success! (at least the airbags held ~5psi overnight)

I didn't take video but I have a BUNCH of pictures but here are my quick thoughts first:
  1. It would be WAY easier to drill the 5/8" airline hole in the bottom plate with the spring removed. I managed with a 90 degree adapter and lots of patience.
  2. It would be WAY easier to install WHILE installing the 2" lift kit. That adds a 2nd lower spacer which means I had to drill through TWO plates for the air line :(
  3. I'm ignoring the firestone instructions and put the blue spacer disk at the bottom of the air bag.
    1. To give the air hose more strain relief. Getting the drill hole lined up perfectly with the valve on the bag isn't going to happen and without the spacer the valve is nearly touching the bottom plate.
    2. Even when the van is off the jack the top of the bag + spacer is barely pressing into the bump stop, I'd be seriously worried about hitting a big bump and losing the spacers!
    3. With the bounce stop removed (and not cut) the remaining protrusion is fairly wide and very smooth. I don't see why it would be a problem having that as the top contact vs lip of the spring mount on the bottom.
  4. Triple check the air line connections for leaks. It took me a lot of fidgeting to get them seated well, soapy water in a spray bottle was a lifesaver.

With that, here is the install in pictures:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The one gripe I have with this van is the rear suspension sags A LOT when the van is loaded. The air bags will let me "pump up" the rear end of the van when we're loaded down on road trips.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Doing our first road trip with the air bags today. Normally the bottom of the ecohitch is 11 3/4" off the ground. After loading the van it was 10 1/4" off the ground with the airbags at 5psi. Pumped them up to 35psi and the back end lifted back up to 11 1/4"! Van "feels" level and not nearly so bouncy in the back as it has in the past on road trips. Very happy with the result!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Doing our first road trip with the air bags today. Normally the bottom of the ecohitch is 11 3/4" off the ground. After loading the van it was 10 1/4" off the ground with the airbags at 5psi. Pumped them up to 35psi and the back end lifted back up to 11 1/4"! Van "feels" level and not nearly so bouncy in the back as it has in the past on road trips. Very happy with the result!
Will be interested in MPG after road trip and how it behaves on steep climbs or curvy roads.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts