Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
34.4MPG on the first tank doing 70mph from Seattle to Eugene. Van handles MUCH better fully loaded with the bags inflated to 35psi, feels like less backend roll on turns. Only real negative to the install I've observed so far is the rubber "squeak" sounds when the van is unloaded and the bags are at only 5psi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for updating us. Any other difference in ride quality, besides less bounce?

Doing our first road trip with the air bags today. Normally the bottom of the ecohitch is 11 3/4" off the ground. After loading the van it was 10 1/4" off the ground with the airbags at 5psi. Pumped them up to 35psi and the back end lifted back up to 11 1/4"! Van "feels" level and not nearly so bouncy in the back as it has in the past on road trips. Very happy with the result!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
@EricD I believe you are supposed to inflate the air bags before adding the weight to the van. Not entirely sure of the implications of the reverse, but I am guessing you would get slightly more inflation and therefore stiffness by inflating first. Check the instructions for your airbags to be sure.

-Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks for updating us. Any other difference in ride quality, besides less bounce?
It is hard because it is so subjective. I do think it handles better loaded with the air springs, the van rides level, without them it would feel like the back end was rolling side to side and with it feels like there is less body roll on turns.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
@EricD I believe you are supposed to inflate the air bags before adding the weight to the van. Not entirely sure of the implications of the reverse, but I am guessing you would get slightly more inflation and therefore stiffness by inflating first. Check the instructions for your airbags to be sure.

-Mike
Thanks for the tip, I'll double check. I only remember seeing the 5psi min / 35psi max

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
FYI, I just double checked the instructions for the Airlift 1000 for my gen2 Sienna and here’s what it says (it has the same 5-35psi min-max range):

Inflate your air springs to 30 PSI before adding the payload. This will allow the air cylinder to properly mesh with the coil spring. After the vehicle is loaded, adjust your air pressure down to level the vehicle and for ride comfort.
So, the 35 psi max would be measured WITH payload.

-Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great thread - thank you @EricD!

I am not capable or interested in installing these myself - do you think a suspension or other shop could safely do this? Did we ever get resolution to the question of why they said these wouldn't work with AWD?

Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Great thread - thank you @EricD!

I am not capable or interested in installing these myself - do you think a suspension or other shop could safely do this? Did we ever get resolution to the question of why they said these wouldn't work with AWD?

Thanks!
Yeah if you can convince a suspension shop the compatibility is wrong it should be an easy install. The hardest part was drilling for the air hose and that would be WAY easier with the spring off when removing the bump stops.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts