Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is quite an old thread and I'm a bit wary of posting pics of my Sienna and travel trailer because you'll all jump on me and say "Hey you can't tow that trailer with a Sienna!" Well, I can and have been for a couple of years, safely and successfully.

Towed haul.jpg

Set up by Can Am RV in London, the 2011 Sienna LE has a beefed up hitch, an additional transmission oil cooler, a Prodigy P2 brake controller and an Eaz-Lift WD system with a pair of friction sway control bars. She stops and starts well and cruises comfortably at 100 Km/h with no sway and feeling very solid. She'll go faster than that but the gas mileage starts to get a bit scary at anything over 110 Km/h - regular mileage at a sensible speed is about 12 miles to a US gallon, much the same as any other vehicle towing this type of trailer. The trailer is a 28' Airstream International.

I've had no issues whatsoever with the Sienna (and I'm not anticipating any) and I'm keeping to the Toyota service schedule. No issues with oil or water temperatures, even when we were down in Florida in 100F+ heat. My only area of concern is going down steep hills; it's first gear all the way and very sparing on the brakes, although that's as much to do with the trailer's drum brakes than anything else.

Towing an Airstream, apart from its weight, is easier than many a lighter trailer; it's low, has four independently sprung wheels and is reasonably aerodynamic. The aerodynamic drag is about as low as you'll get on any trailer and that is probably the key for towing with a minivan.

I'll mention again that this combination was professionally prepared and I don't want to give anyone the idea that you can just hang such a big trailer on the back of a Sienna and expect it to work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The C-17 looks good ;). looks like the tongue weight isn't sagging the rear of the van too much, but the airbags and WDH make things a lot less bouncy and controlled on the highway.

I've since added airbags and put some miles on. It tows quite nice. A bit under powered in the mountains but doable. I've got a set of Equal-I-Zer bars for it. We'll be trying it out this summer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looks like a sharp trailer. I think your sienna is sagging a bit too much in the rear with it hooked up like that. I would try adjusting the WDH a bit and see if you can flatten the Van out a bit. If it seems like you're putting too much strain on the hitch, I would suggest a set of airbags in the rear springs. They really make a world of difference in stability and the cost is minimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, after looking on here for something else, I came upon a post about air bags... I ended up getting the Air Lift 1000 kit (on Amazon for $80-something instead of $135 on company website) and it did make a world of difference! That undermount hitch was riding pretty low anyway, even without a load.
Of course, I busted an air bag (right on the seam!) during my first 50 miles of using them. Called company and they sent out another one free. Will try a 3 hour tour this weekend and hopefully it stays un-holey!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is our new trailer on the day we picked it up.

IMG-20130621-00014.jpg

London-20130621-00015.jpg

It is a 2014 Prime Time Tracer 240 Air. Towed by a 2010 Sienna CE FWD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
We moved shortly after getting our 2013 V6 AWD Sienna.
Here are some pictures of the family truckster earning it's keep.
GronkyTrailer.jpg
GronkyTrailerAtTheDump.JPG
GronkyTrailerLoadedWithWeldingStuff.jpg
I'm new to the forum but I sure am glad to see lots of people enjoying this van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my 2012 XLE AWD towing my 2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BHT. I am using a Reese WD hitch with 600lb spring bars and a single sway bar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are thinking of buying 2014 Solaire 147X (see below) but in a dilemma if we should since we don't know if our 2013 Sienna LE would be able to handle it. The Trailer specs: 18' lenght, 3011 lbs. ship weight and the 3815 lbs. GVWR. I need your suggestion/advise out if my Sienna can take this load and what are the things we need to modify in order for us to tow this easily. I currently have a Tekonsha P3, Toyota towing package and installed hitch. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2715.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have the final weight figures for the 2011, but the 2010 was listed at 2935lbs prior to any additional items (a/c for instance). Once I pick it up I'll take it to get a final weigh in. As for the type it is the hybrid. It has the hard body shell with 2 fold out beds at each end. I would have gone with the 23B had I been able to tow it (sorry, had I felt comfortable towing it). Otherwise it should work for the family of 5 while the boys are still young (9, 6 & 5).
Hello, I am currently in the same situation. We are interested in purchasing a similar hybrid a 2014 Palomino Solaire 147X with dry weight 3100 lbs. We have a 2013 Sienna LE. Can you tell me if you need to modify your Sienna ie. adding in a sway or weight distribution hitch to tow comfortably?
IMG_2715.jpg

·
Registered
617 Posts
Looks like a great trailer. I would get a good WDH and, if necessary, add airbags to the rear springs. Personally, I would get the rear airbags to keep the back end from sagging just loading the inside. That trailer will tow just fine.

Hello, I am currently in the same situation. We are interested in purchasing a similar hybrid a 2014 Palomino Solaire 147X with dry weight 3100 lbs. We have a 2013 Sienna LE. Can you tell me if you need to modify your Sienna ie. adding in a sway or weight distribution hitch to tow comfortably?
View attachment 3610

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a great trailer. I would get a good WDH and, if necessary, add airbags to the rear springs. Personally, I would get the rear airbags to keep the back end from sagging just loading the inside. That trailer will tow just fine.
Thanks tcp! Would you also know where I can purchase the airbags for the rear spring or installed to Toronto,ON? Thanks again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
2 of mine popped right up near the top. I'm still towing. I'll still admit it's not ideal, but it does the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got back from first 1500 mile midwest trip towing 2013 Jayco X17z. HTT. I upgraded my 2011 Sienna LE (with factory tow pkg) by carefully calculating and adding Curt 5k lb class lll hitch, Firestone rear coil lifters, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Hayden transmission cooler and Andersen No Sway WD hitch. Our trailer and van fully loaded CGVW Was 8760 lbs at local truck scales. If you are smart and safe it will be a good tow vehicle, however no speed demon and stick to the right lane. I manually ran out of overdrive in s-4 going 60 - 70 at 2500 to 3500 rpm. No mountains but not all flat or no grade roads either. MPG was about 11.4 and did not feel much rock of trucks passing or wind blowing. For our family of 5 you can't beat the space, comfort and versatility of the Sienna.

·
Registered
157 Posts
2001 Coleman Westlake

Attachments

121 - 140 of 179 Posts