Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boat, motor, trailer, gas and gear is almost 2500 lbs. I use airbags and surge brakes.

I also tow a 3100 lbs dry weight rock wood roo camper and use an a WDH and prodigy p2 controller. Air bags are the key to smoother towing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2004 LE front-wheel-drive hooked up to our 1979 Boler B1700RGH (17-foot moulded fiberglass travel trailer).
Hey Brian - too funny I just found this post as well as the one on Lightweightcamper forum. In case the other one doesn't ping you, we have a 2015 AWD Sienna and looking to upgrade from our Boler 1300 to a 1700 in the not to distant future. Was wondering how you found towing yours... does the engine labour at all or is it decent? We have some hills out here on the west coast though we aren't going far. But... we would like to go on long trips provided the van is a good TV for one of that size. Is she around 2500lbs?

Would appreciate any insight you have :)

With thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
157 Posts
Upgraded from pop up to Hybrid, 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 18F!

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
here's another one

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
We tow a 19ft boat and soon (as soon as I get the break controller wired a pop up camper. a bit on the heavy side 3,166lbs dry. We have air bags and a WDH.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
We tow a 19ft boat and soon (as soon as I get the break controller wired a pop up camper. a bit on the heavy side 3,166lbs dry. We have air bags and a WDH.
3166lbs may be a bit on the heavy side, but with the low drag of a pop up, I think it'll be very manageable. Have fun!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a trailmanor travel trailer and located in Arizona weight of Trailer is 2900# now we travel East in the summer which means climbing up to 7200 feet elevation going through flagstaff and into NM will a sienna have the power to pull this through the mountains? I plan on getting a 2004 or a 2009

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a trailmanor travel trailer and located in Arizona weight of Trailer is 2900# now we travel East in the summer which means climbing up to 7200 feet elevation going through flagstaff and into NM will a sienna have the power to pull this through the mountains? I plan on getting a 2004 or a 2009
That's one of those pop up (or something to that effect) ones right? The low drag helps a LOT. If properly equipped (factory tow package) you can pull up to 3500lbs, so you have a little room for cargo but not much. (many here have reported towing more with no problems) At a minimum you'll have to add a trailer brake controller and trailer wiring (not included in the factory tow package), and may want to add a weight distribution hitch with sway control, possibly air assist bags for the rear suspension and maybe upgrade the front brakes to those from the 3rd Gen Sienna's. You don't have to do these all if it's too much all at once...get the sienna (with tow package), hook up the trailer, do some short trips, read what we all hear on the forums have done, see how it compares with your experience and go from there. OR just do it all at once and you can tow pretty comfortably right away!

Reactions: Craigrrr

·
Registered
285 Posts
We tow our 2005 17' Hybrid with our 2007 Sienna. We have air bags and brake controller. It tows pretty good, but you know it's back there in the wind on the flats or the mountains. I'd never try a mountain pass with it. Mountains yet, but not a pass. It weighs in between 3200-3600lbs depending on how we're loaded. We usually leave water behind. Wife packs heavy, I pack light. Profile is huge. I'm sure I'd barely notice a tent trailer behind me, butnfull size gets some serious wind resistance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very interesting trailer. Offers the height of a tent trailer for towing and the space and size of a full size when parked. Bet it pulls awesome.

Reactions: Craigrrr

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very interesting trailer. Offers the height of a tent trailer for towing and the space and size of a full size when parked. Bet it pulls awesome.
Pulls very well, most times you don't even know it's back there. here it is opened up

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Towing our Trailmanor with the 08 sienna xle fwd I need to lube the anti- sway pivot points not the friction bar if anyone is confused plus I am getting some groan from the wdh links, I was trying which link to use for best results.. it was set too tight

https://youtu.be/6qkyAN4a4Mg

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have been messing around with my bike carrier and setting it up. First pic is my old 2007 with my old bike. It sat low but worked. You can see the back lights ok.

Now that I got a 2011 and a new bike. It still sat a bit low. I picked up a CURT 45792 Tube adapter. It will raise it up about 6". I had to grid a bit off the back as it was up against my rear bumper. It will not take away anything as the carrier does not sit that far back into the top receiver. 2nd pic is still without the adapter. So it will be 6" higher. Issue is the tail lights/ turn signals are blocked... I am going to add lights to the carrier. Universal trailer lights. All said and done. I will have $200 into the carrier for the bike.
Carrier $50.
Adapter $100
Lights. $50
Sold the trike (3 wheeler) o_O

Attachments

141 - 160 of 179 Posts