Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
That looks good! How much does the new bike weigh?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
276 wet. Full of fluids. This adaptor is good for 350lbs. With the carrier I am close. Top 2" is only for accessory. Not to be used for towing. When the bike is on the carrier you can not see my tail lights well. I added a strip light to the carrier. It had 3M tape and plugs into the 4 pin trail wiring. People use them on Pickup trucks under the tailgate. It has a bunch of LEDS in it. Running lights/Brake lights/Turn signals. It also has a wire to hook up for back up lights. I did not hook that up. A guy at work gave it to me. He said he payed $20.00 online for it. Well worth it for the added safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

The roof comes down for towing. It weighs a little over 2100 pounds. We have removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats in our Sienna, use WD bars (which have sway control), and a Prodigy2 brake controller. Took a trip to the Atlantic provinces from Ontario and back with no issues towing it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
are you still towing that camper with the sienna ?
If so, how is it going?
Sorry don't log in often anymore.

Yes we still tow that trailer with our 2017 Sienna. Still going strong with zero issues. Just did transmission oil change so all good to go if campgrounds open soon.

Also currently shopping for a 2020 as it appears the 2021 will be Hybrid with the dreaded CVT which are crap for towing. This will be just a back up with little use until the 2017 is put out to pasture in about 4-5 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trailer hitch says 350 max and trailer weight 3500. You are way over that. I am just towing a small population about 1200.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Trailer hitch says 350 max and trailer weight 3500. You are way over that. I am just towing a small population about 1200.
Not sure about gen3, but my 2007 is rated for 525 lbs tongue weight when using weight distribution, according to the owner's manual. My hitch itself is rated at 5000 towing and 500 tongue weight when using weight distribution. Toyota under rates these vans. I believe they can definitely tow more than 3500 safely if setup properly.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
As floridanative stated some hitches have more carrying & towing capacity when WD is used. Our tongue weight is max 625 lbs (measured at CAT scales) and we have an older Hidden Hitch that was rated at 675 lbs tongue and 6000 lbs tow with a WD system in place. Newer ones appear to be maxed at 5000 lbs tow and same tongue as ours.

We have been camping and towing trailers now for 29 years and easily have exceeded 200K++ mi of actual towing. We started out with family station wagons towing 10ft then 12ft pop-up campers. Then with our first Sienna we moved on to a 14ft highwall pop-up, then on to a 23ft hybrid trailer and then on to the Tracer that I posted here and now the Coachmen trailer. We have traveled all over the US and Canada including through the Rockies with these combinations without an issue. We have been to Florida a number of times and as far west as Texas, Washington State and Oregon, but haven't visited California yet that was the plan for this summer but the COVID thing threw a wrench into our plans.

Key thing, again as floridanative stated is the set up of the whole combination. Our set up includes a WD system dual friction sway control bars (due to length of trailer), of course a brake, extension mirrors to see around the trailer and we did have our hitch reinforced by an expert RV place here in Ontario. The reinforcement isn't complicated or extensive it is basically a square tube welded to the back of the receiver tube on the hitch and it extends to just behind the rear axle, bolted in there. This prevents any potential of the tube twisting when the WD is applied which helps in transferring/redistributing the load to the front axle of the van and to the trailer axles. We are fully within specs for our axle capacities on the van.

Finally you have to be comfortable with what you are towing and regardless of size of trailer don't skimp on the set up and the equipment used. Again as stated the Sienna is a very capable vehicle for towing even beyond the factory suggested 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting ready for the 3-4 month road trip vacation
Hi Craigrrr,

I just bought a TM 3023(used) and I believe its also 2900lbs dry (similar to your dry weight since you have the SD-model).
How did the long trip go, how did the Sienna handle?

It will be my first trailer and with a family of 5, I want to be able to feel safe when we start our first trip.
Reading every post I can on here.

This is my Sienna setup/upgrades thus far, anything I am missing thats really needed for a safe tow-vehicle?
2007 Sienna LE V6
Class 3 Hitch
Reese WDH (came with the TM 3023)
Transmission Cooler
AirLift 1000 suspension airbags
Trailer wiring kit (4 pin and 7 pin)
Brake Controller

Thanks in advanced.
Ben

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Craigrrr,

I just bought a TM 3023(used) and I believe its also 2900lbs dry (similar to your dry weight since you have the SD-model).
How did the long trip go, how did the Sienna handle?

It will be my first trailer and with a family of 5, I want to be able to feel safe when we start our first trip.
Reading every post I can on here.

This is my Sienna setup/upgrades thus far, anything I am missing thats really needed for a safe tow-vehicle?
2007 Sienna LE V6
Class 3 Hitch
Reese WDH (came with the TM 3023)
Transmission Cooler
AirLift 1000 suspension airbags
Trailer wiring kit (4 pin and 7 pin)
Brake Controller

Thanks in advanced.
Ben
Hey Ben, it sounds like you should have no problem towing. We drove cross country and had no problems at all. Just remember you will not win a race going up hill. I also did not use overdrive, just 4th gear sometimes we had to go to a lower gear going down steep grades cause you do not want to keep on the brakes all the time. So use the WDH , and keep 35 psi in the air bags. I only drove 60-65 mph No rush when I travel. Oh get some towing mirrors .. I used 2 of these off amazon " CIPA 11950 Universal Clip-On Towing Mirror "

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Ben, it sounds like you should have no problem towing. We drove cross country and had no problems at all. Just remember you will not win a race going up hill. I also did not use overdrive, just 4th gear sometimes we had to go to a lower gear going down steep grades cause you do not want to keep on the brakes all the time. So use the WDH , and keep 35 psi in the air bags. I only drove 60-65 mph No rush when I travel. Oh get some towing mirrors .. I used 2 of these off amazon " CIPA 11950 Universal Clip-On Towing Mirror "
Thanks for the confirmation, yes I will following your driving tips. I grabbed a pair of those clip-on towing mirrors, thanks again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anytime, enjoy the trailmanor. they are a lot of fun and you will get a lot of lookers

·
Registered
54 Posts
  • 1,800 pound pop-up
  • 5-bike vertical bike rack
    Currently limping along with an AirLift 1000 +1” spacer
    Custom rear coils have been ordered....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Sienna family
Since 2019 I've been reading, researching and applying some really helpful ideas from this site.
New brakes, hitch, Air lift and MIT accessories along with Thule roof box for my 2016 Sienna came from this forum.
To keep the long story short - we're a young family heavily involved in tent camping, and we're doing cross country road trips every 2 years.
Our summer weekend road-trips are within 200-300 miles in driving +/-
Family "stuff" used to be small but now kids are growing so automatically everything else is growing with them.
Recently on the gas station I parked next to a Ford Flex with a small open cargo trailer and I really liked it.
Unfortunately since then I am unable to find any reliable sources of information regarding small enclosed cargo trailers.
There is a lot about overlading campers / trailers or work related bigger units but nothing regarding small stuff.
What I'm trying to fit inside would be 2 tents, 2 bigger coolers, 4 camping chairs, camping grill, camping stove and 4 storage bins (66qt each)
on the outside it would be a combination of 4 bikes (dual hitch) and 3 kayaks (on top of the trailer) and Yes I do also use a roof box Thule Atlantis 2100 (688XT "Big Boy")
I did research a lot of different discussions on this forum, without any success.
There is a lot about tow packages and travel trailers and towing limits and brakes but nothing regarding using small cargo trailers.
Anyway I am only looking for someone who witnessed or towed, touched hopefully owned:

Small Cargo Trailers by Hybrid Trailer Co., LLC • Huron, Ohio
or
GO EASY - SylvanSport
or
6500 LowRider ST $2799 - Space Trailers
or
PRICES ON PULMOR LUGGAGE SPORT TRAILERS does anybody had a chance to see them in real life ???

I did also looked at used U-haul enclosed trailers 4x8 and 5x8 but Wow!! most of them are a big project due to a poor, poor maintenance.
From what I've seen I think Haul-mark might be a company supplying trailers for U-haul (with some changes) but they do also tends to be on the heavy side.
I really like Pulmor trailer (size and weight) but their website looks really old school and I cannot find actual users anywhere which make me think it might be some sort of a fishy business.
Please any suggestions are great - I'll try to attach some photos

161 - 179 of 179 Posts