Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sienna LE FWD (2008) with 55K miles has started Squeaking noise while making left turn. More so when making U turns. Never on right turns

Have not been able to take off the wheels yet. But here is the audio of this noise recorded while driving at ~5 mph in a parking lot. It sounds like metal grinding against metal. Starts at 3 sec in audio file. It appears to be originating from front right (passenger) side of minivan, close to the wheel.
I did not see any leaks in power steering. Tires and Brake pads have ~2K miles on them. Any clue on what could be going on?

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV
419 Posts
Does it only make noise at left turn? If so, it mostly likely the right axle is worn out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think it's a wheel bearing. Axel would make a clicking sound.

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV
419 Posts
If it was wheel bearing, it would make noise regardless driving straight or make turn. It's my two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes noise only during left turn. More so with hard left. And the noise seems to be originating passenger side front wheel.
If it is axle, does this imply bad CV joint?
Could it be due to poorly installed brake pad?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV
419 Posts
1. Get under your vehicle to check if your have oily CV bolts. 2. Did the noise happen after you changed brake pads? if so, it can be caused by the squeaking of metal clips from the brake pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I took off the wheel. Did not find oily CV boot but found Rack and Pinion Boot was damaged and leaking. Hardly visible from top. Image attached. Will I need to replace the entire joint or just the boot?
Is it fair to the assume this causing the noise or I have two issues to deal with.
Brakes were replaced about 8 months back I noticed the sound a few weeks back. Does not mean it was not there may be I did not notice.

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV
419 Posts
The leak looks very bad. How is the power steering fluid level in the reservoir? I had mine replaced a few years back. You can just replace the boots. I would suggest to replace it if you plan to keep your van for a few more years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks @thanwu .
Did you replace just the boot or entire rack?
I don't drive it much but plan to keep the van for ~5 yrs. Power steering fluid level in the reservoir is between min and max. I don't recall topping it up in last 12-18 months or finding a leak underneath the minivan. I did not feel any perceivable deterioration in steering. Could be a small leak. Wish it was possible to find when did the boot crack..
Can the leak from the joint cause boot to crack? Will replacing the boot be a permanent fix? I plan to get the boots replaced ($200), but want to know if I will need to replace the rack (~$1k) too. Not sure if it is worth fixing just the boot if it will crack again due to the leak.
Do you think this issue can cause grinding noise while turning left or is that a separate issue?

·
Registered
2006 Sienna XLE with NAV
419 Posts
I would replace the rack and pinion if l were you. I did replace the rack and pinion as well in my Sienna. It will also help to identify the problem if it did not get rid of the noise after replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts