Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the call that my 2021 Sienna Platinum van is arriving in a couple of days. I waited for it for about 3 months. Consumer Reports gives a mediocre reliability rating to this model currently. My question is about warranty purchase at the time of buying this van. I want to keep this van for at least 10 years.
Do they offer a warranty for 10 years plus 125K miles or more? If not, what is the max time/miles warranty I can buy?
Should I buy a warranty from the dealer?
What kind of deal/price is considered good?
Are there outside companies that offer Toyota warranty at a better price that is accepted at all Toyota service centers?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don’t think warranty on top of what already comes standard is needed for a Toyota. I’m also curious how CR gets a reliability score like that on a van that only first became available 10 months ago. Do they also know next weeks lottery numbers?

Yes, you can get 10 year coverage. Any dealer can sell it to you, and everyone on every message board says Wolverine Toyota in Michigan has the best prices right now. You can also wait 3 years and purchase it right before the standard warranty expires to save yourself 3 years worth of premiums... same coverage, same protection, less money spent by your family.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know that I can convince anyone who wants an extended warranty to not get one, but since you mentioned consumer reports:
I think the key point is that they wouldn't make such high pressure sales of the warranty if they didn't make a ton on them. The smart money is on self-warrantying. They know their reliability better than anyone, have priced the warranty accordingly, and if you end up on the wrong side of the odds and can't afford a few thousand in repairs then a $50k vehicle is a questionable purchase.
But if you prefer to give Toyota a few hundred dollars in profit for peace of mind... more power to you I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was sure not to buy the warranty but CR reliability rating has got me worried. I don't know how they know about the reliability of such a new van.
Am I reading correctly that I can buy a Toyota VSA extended warranty in 3 years just before the Toyota warranty expired without any detriment? If I go that route how do I do that? Just call any Toyota dealership and ask for a quote?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was sure not to buy the warranty but CR reliability rating has got me worried. I don't know how they know about the reliability of such a new van.
Am I reading correctly that I can buy a Toyota VSA extended warranty in 3 years just before the Toyota warranty expired without any detriment? If I go that route how do I do that? Just call any Toyota dealership and ask for a quote?
Shop around at any Toyota dealer because prices will vary wildly. It is a profit machine for some dealers others are more reasonable priced for the very same thing. Yes you can wait but most likely it will cost you more in 3 years......just like everything else prices will most likely go up. There is a thread already on here on extended warranties, use the search. Some want piece of mind, some are going with Toyotas reputation for quality, some are considering this is a first model year for this hybrid van and sometimes they do not get things right on first year models and need to work out the kinks. You have to use your best judgement, and/or guess and financial situation to determine if an extended warranty is worth the price and trouble. Read through the linked thread below.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don’t think warranty on top of what already comes standard is needed for a Toyota. I’m also curious how CR gets a reliability score like that on a van that only first became available 10 months ago. Do they also know next weeks lottery numbers?

Yes, you can get 10 year coverage. Any dealer can sell it to you, and everyone on every message board says Wolverine Toyota in Michigan has the best prices right now. You can also wait 3 years and purchase it right before the standard warranty expires to save41x yourself 3 years worth of premiums... same coverage, same protection, less money spent by your family.
Normally, I think so too. But way too many electronics with the power sliding doors, Power lift gate, Moonroof(this one especially), parking sensors, etc.

With how cheap Jerry is selling the warranties, you really just need one thing to go wrong to recoup your cost. I think it's safe to say at least one thing will fail in 10 years time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A $0 deductible platinum can be had for:
6/125 $1,250
7/125 $1,375
8/125 $1,670
9/125 $1,915
10/125 $2,070

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna 8-pass XLE FWD
8 Posts
Normally, I think so too. But way too many electronics with the power sliding doors, Power lift gate, Moonroof(this one especially), parking sensors, etc.

With how cheap Jerry is selling the warranties, you really just need one thing to go wrong to recoup your cost. I think it's safe to say at least one thing will fail in 10 years time.
The extended warranty also covers many hybrid battery system components that the standard powertrain/hybrid battery warranty does not cover once the bumper-to-bumper expires. The extended warranty also provides access to loaner/rental reimbursement for any warranty repairs that require an overnight stay and reimbursement for trip interruption. When buying from the dealers that resell for the lowest price, it starts to make a lot more financial sense to those that are risk-adverse.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm with siennafan2. Our 2011 Limited with AT package has 67K on it (yeah, don't drive a lot), is always garaged, and the extended warranty got used on the power mirrors (the problem where they get loose) and on the steering half-shafts. Plus we got free CV joints, because the shop decided it had to be them despite me suggesting it was the half-shafts, so they did the CVs first. Doh.

I never buy extended warranties EXCEPT on vehicles with lots of toys. And ever time I've done so, I've made out like a bandit. Maybe just lucky, but at this point the peace of mind is worth the $$$, plus since I have done so well historically, I'd have to hit a string of two or three vehicles where I didn't use the warranty before I'd be in the hole.

On an LE? Nah. On my 2000 Camry? Nah. On my 2010 Kia? Nah. But on a 1990 Taurus LX, a 1997 Town&Country, and now the Sienna, we've done fine.

YMMV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On buying the warranty before the 3 year coverage expires, when I bought my '04 I was told it had to have at least 1 month AND 1,000 miles left on the factory warranty so, not much of a difference unless you are averaging more than 1,000/month but even then, you should be able to get it at the 34-35 month period.

·
Registered
86 Posts
On buying the warranty before the 3 year coverage expires, when I bought my '04 I was told it had to have at least 1 month AND 1,000 miles left on the factory warranty so, not much of a difference unless you are averaging more than 1,000/month but even then, you should be able to get it at the 34-35 month period.
Usually I buy it right after I buy my car, but with covid, travel restrictions, my businesses, etc. I don't know what kind of mileage coverage I'll be putting on the van. So even if the price increases in the next year or two, I'll have to wait it out to see what my usage is. I'll tell you what though, I can't believe I enjoy driving the van. It's spacious, comfortable, and in my opinion, looks awesome. I'm an old man on the inside lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts