·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is chance that I will be offered:
1. 25th anniversary edition FWD
or
2. XLE AWD (no plus package)
Price difference is about $3.5k since the XLE had more useless accessories.

I really like the look on the 25th, but I live in Philly area where there is moderate amount of snow. In the ideal world I would probably get a 25th AWD (only ~$800 more), but in reality that is not an option.
What would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I give up all the bells and whistles on the 25th, but save the $3.5k and get AWD? Or should I get some snow tires for the 25th, or should I even wait for something else?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
decades ago how people drive their cars without AWD/FWD, ESP/ESC and ABS in snow season?
If I understood Juvleo's message correctly, they are asking about now and not decades ago :)

or

I really like the look on the 25th, but I live in Philly area where there is moderate amount of snow. In the ideal world I would probably get a 25th AWD (only ~$800 more), but in reality that is not an option.
What would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I give up all the bells and whistles on the 25th, but save the $3.5k and get AWD? Or should I get some snow tires for the 25th, or should I even wait for something else?
Myself, I would definitely get the XLE AWD, unless there are some features in the 25th that you can't live without. I have an LE Plus, and the only thing I really miss is the heated front seats. The safety suite and the power sliding doors are on all trims.

The e-AWD will kick in not only in the visibly slippery conditions like snow, heavy rain or mud, but also for improving grip while going through tight curves at highway speeds, and for climbing steep mountain roads - especially with a heavy load in the back. Perhaps more importantly, for better regenerative braking.

Since with e-AWD the rear axle is always engaged during the first few seconds of acceleration from stop, I speculate this may help to keep the tire wear a little bit more even.

·
Registered
2021 LE
121 Posts
or

Oh no, pounce on that AWD one. AWD is what I miss big time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's just such a personal preference in what you like/dislike enough that it has to be totally up to you. For me? The only "bells & whistles" that 25th edition has that I consider worth paying attention to are the memory seats. My NX200t has them and it's great if multiple people use it often, pointless of course if they don't. Outside of that one feature it has nothing I would rank over the AWD benefits (folding mirrors..pass) I also like you do like the external looks of the XSE more though I think the interior tries too hard to look like a Lexus and feels a little silly on a minivan but that's again, just me.

As someone who lived outside of Denver for some years and never missed a ski season while never owning anything more than a FWD vehicle with snow tires... sure we all survived, but technology advances and if I lived somewhere I could use AWD today and had to choose between that or memory seats with a Lexus style grill on the front I'm choosing the AWD.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,232 Posts
What all have you been driving so far? Have they all been AWDs? If so, AWD is your answer.

If not, I have read here that an FWD with winter tires beats an AWD with stock tires. So there's that.

One other option is to get the conservative choice now, and get in line again with another deposit. There's a good chance you can trade in your current one with minimal losses, or even possibly make some. However, you won't have chance to buy a 25th anniversary again for sure.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What all have you been driving so far? Have they all been AWDs? If so, AWD is your answer.

If not, I have read here that an FWD with winter tires beats an AWD with stock tires. So there's that.

One other option is to get the conservative choice now, and get in line again with another deposit. There's a good chance you can trade in your current one with minimal losses, or even possibly make some. However, you won't have chance to buy a 25th anniversary again for sure.
Having lived in snow country all my life and from parents' and grandparents' experience:

Yes, you are right.

Tires help you stop not the drivetrain.

AWD helps to get moving.

On our FWD and AWD vehicles with stock all seasons... the FWD does better in winter especially on the hilly road trips through PA and the Virginias. We're talking based on road trips about 15k+ miles each for vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

All my past vehicles are AWD so far.
But really interesting thought on buying it now and getting in line for another one b/c I might only have the 25th FWD option for now, haven't got the definite answer. I wonder if being 25th years edition would add or decrease the resale/MSRP ratio compared to the common trims. I tried putting in a Woodland edition VIN into Carvana and the instant offer is ridiculously lower than a XLE...

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,232 Posts
All my past vehicles are AWD so far.
But really interesting thought on buying it now and getting in line for another one b/c I might only have the 25th FWD option for now, haven't got the definite answer. I wonder if being 25th years edition would add or decrease the resale/MSRP ratio compared to the common trims. I tried putting in a Woodland edition VIN into Carvana and the instant offer is ridiculously lower than a XLE...
Interesting tidbit on woodland. I suppose woodland retail might be hurting because it doesn't have rear kick sensor, and that the inflated priced hitch mount isn't worth its price? Just a guess.

How about woodland going rates on other retail websites?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is chance that I will be offered: 1. 25th anniversary edition FWD or 2. XLE AWD (no plus package) Price difference is about $3.5k since the XLE had more useless accessories. I really like the look on the 25th, but I live in Philly area where there is moderate amount of snow. In the ideal world I would probably get a 25th AWD (only ~$800 more), but in reality that is not an option. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I give up all the bells and whistles on the 25th, but save the $3.5k and get AWD? Or should I get some snow tires for the 25th, or should I even wait for something else?
What are you driving now? FWD or AWD? If you think you can live with FWD now then 25th ed the way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting tidbit on woodland. I suppose woodland retail might be hurting because it doesn't have rear kick sensor, and that the inflated priced hitch mount isn't worth its price? Just a guess.

How about woodland going rates on other retail websites?
I think it is because there are too few past sales of that particular trim for the car website to generate a reasonable price using its model behind the scene. The Woodland edition was only quoted for ~25K, which they know themselves it's ridiculous and put a line that says "looks like your car is out of our sweet spot". So I think the situation will be even more so for a 25th anniversary edition. I probably won't be able to get a reasonable instant offer from these website dealers because there is not enough data to make a prediction. However, I noticed that the Woodland I found on Carmax was already sold, well above MSRP.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
@juvleo
If you can wait for a couple of months, that would probably pay off. Looking at the Sienna monthly production figures in the US, they bottomed out in June at <4,000 units, but since then have steadily climbed, reaching 7,500 units in October. This should help the dealerships to come to their senses as far as the prices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where I live, AWD is not a personal choice, it's a damn necessity.
I live in upstate NY and have had to commute to Rochester for many decades. My 2004 Sienna was AWD and that car saved my life many times over. I was able to get to work and get home, even if I had to go 20mph. It never skidded, I never got stuck anywhere, it handled perfectly on every ramp and tight turn, it stopped when I needed it to. I sold that 2 years ago, with close to 180k on it for $6,000 and the new owner is still driving it today! He loves it! Bought a 2019 Sienna with AWD and I'm extremely happy with it's performance. If you want to go everywhere with the extra safety the Toyota AWD is amazing.

·
Registered
2021 Blueprint Sienna Platinum AWD “The Cruising Vessel”
77 Posts
or

get the AWD. You’ll be sorry you didn’t in the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
I had same situation while deciding ,i went with XLE AWD .. now i am very happy on my decision, the features / esthetics , vs AWD .. AWD wins always as its major vehicle specification. The reselling value is in AWD not in features . So go with XLE AWD .
The reselling value is another good point. I really believe in the next few years AWD will become standard - first on larger/more expensive vehicles, and then on most if not all (pretty much like all ABS, backup camera, and other safety features have done in the past).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts