Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my experience with the y-pipe (that goes from the exhaust manifolds to the main catalyst) on 2004 2WD Sienna in the Chicago area.

1) OEM Pipe Part Number 174100A390
Replaced at 147K miles due to flex pipe hole. I am pretty sure it was leaking a little for 20K before the hole got big
Fit: OEM.
Construction: dual wall pipe for fast catalytic converter light-off
Cost: $270 online price
Bottom Line: Pricey but worth it

2) Walker 54614
Replaced after 59K miles of use due to flex pipe hole
Fitment: Just like OEM pipe. OEM heatshield fits.
Sound: had a lot of pipe expansion ticking, really a lot. Very noticeable when car turned off and cooling down, even driving the sound was there.
Cost: presently $108 at Amazon
Bottom line: the ticking would drive me nuts

3) Bosal 800-041
Just installed
Fitment: fits well. Front o2 sensor location partially blocks one exhaust nut so must install O2 sensor last; may become problem when it is time to remove. Surface for rear donut gasket not as flat as other two, but still seals well.
Construction: single wall pipe. Smoother bends than OEM, a proper collector instead of the OEM design where one pipe tees into the other, looks like superior flow. The collector shape, though, prevents you from moving the OEM heat shield over to the new pipe.
Sound: Quiet, no excessive ticking.
Cost: $98 delivered at Rockauto, special order from Advance Auto for $70 if you can get the store manager to use the right online coupons.
Bottom Line: budget racer part, unknown longevity

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Here is my experience with the y-pipe (that goes from the exhaust manifolds to the main catalyst) on 2004 2WD Sienna in the Chicago area.

1) OEM Pipe Part Number 174100A390
Replaced at 147K miles due to flex pipe hole. I am pretty sure it was leaking a little for 20K before the hole got big
Fit: OEM.
Cost: $270 online price
Bottom Line: Pricey but worth it

2) Walker 54614
Replaced after 59K miles of use due to flex pipe hole
Fitment: Just like OEM pipe. OEM heatshield fits.
Sound: had a lot of pipe expansion ticking, really a lot. Very noticeable when car turned off and cooling down, even driving the sound was there.
Cost: presently $108 at Amazon
Bottom line: the ticking would drive me nuts

3) Bosal 800-041
Just installed
Fitment: fits well. Front o2 sensor location partially blocks one exhaust nut so must install O2 sensor last; may become problem when it is time to remove. Surface for rear donut gasket not as flat as other two, but still seals well.
Construction: single wall pipe. Smoother bends than OEM, a proper collector instead of the OEM design where one pipe tees into the other, looks like superior flow. The collector shape, though, prevents you from moving the OEM heat shield over to the new pipe.
Sound: Quiet, no excessive ticking.
Cost: $98 delivered at Rockauto, special order from Advance Auto for $70 if you can get the store manager to use the right online coupons.
Bottom Line: budget racer part, unknown longevity
Let us know how it works out. I just changed the flex pipe with cat and rear muffler on my 98 this past weekend. OEM is way overpriced.
Regards, JC.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Thanks for the excellent review

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick Muffler Shop, 2834 Dufferin St in Toronto did my 2004 for around CAD$150. I had a good look at the replacement before they cut off the old and welded on the new. Looked high quality to me and these guys have a good reputation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree -- another good option is to have a shop replace just the flex section. I was looking into whether there was a DIY version of doing the same but it did not look feasible without a welder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
great review, thanks. We've had the flex part replaced by Cole Muffler here in NY. They now tell me the inner pipe is getting lose and rattling, so we're facing a repair decision.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have replaced my flex pipe twice on my 2004 Sienna CE. The original lasted over 9 years. The replacements, no where close.

• 9/2013, ODO @ 77k miles - Walker Exhaust Pipe - Part No 54614
  • 8/2016, ODO @ 103k miles - Bosal Exhaust Products - Part No 800-041
Currently, ODO @ ~113k and I'm looking to replace the Bosal exhaust pipe soon. This got me thinking if the ones I got are bad quality or maybe my engine mounts are worn and causing excessive stress on flex pipe. How do I know if I need new engine mounts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time to update: the Bosal pipe now has 90k miles on it and still going strong. Will sell the car soon, so I won't be able to provide further updates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can add another alternative part, the one I used on my 2004 FWD (also, as it happens, a victim of Chicago salty winters). I got the ANSA TY3901 from Rock Auto for $88 because the pictures looked more like the stock part than most of the aftermarket options I saw online.

In real life it also looks very much like the stock part, with heat shields in exactly the same places and the O2 sensor ports lining up the same. It is made in China, so we're not talking fine Italian craftsmanship on this part.

The ANSA bolt & spring kit (HW49909) for the rear connection was also a perfect fit for the stock nuts on the flange. The ANSA HW7072 rear gasket and qty 2 of ANSA HW7121 manifold gaskets rounded out what was needed.

It was an easy install with no drama. I haven't had it in long enough to speak to durability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How difficult was the old flex pipe to remove? Did you have a lift or were you able to get in to it enough to remove it? I assume that you used an impact gun to remove the bolts to the manifold/converters on each bank but how about the bolts on the flange to the converter? They look like they will be a real problem unless you used a torch. From what I can see the bolts on the engine side go into threads in the manifold but what about on the converter end, are there nuts on that or is it also threaded?

I have a hole in mine and really don't see taking it in somewhere if I can avoid it. I am thinking that the Bosal part is the one that I will go with as it looks better made than the Walker and the OEM price is way to expensive.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
207 Posts
remove the bolts to the manifold/converters on each bank... bolts on the flange to the converter? They look like they will be a real problem
No experience on your particular model but have replaced many flex pipes. I just cut out the flex part of the pipe with a cut off wheel then weld a new one in place. No broken studs, donuts gaskets, far less time, costing $10 to $25 for parts. Maybe hiring someone with experience would make sense. At least someone with a welder.
Make sure the battery is disconnected and place the welder ground on the pipe being welded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, the issue is that I am in the NYC area and labor costs are just crazy. I checked with one guy who wants 250-300 to do it. Crazy living around here

·
Registered
71 Posts
How difficult was the old flex pipe to remove? Did you have a lift or were you able to get in to it enough to remove it? I assume that you used an impact gun to remove the bolts to the manifold/converters on each bank but how about the bolts on the flange to the converter? They look like they will be a real problem unless you used a torch. From what I can see the bolts on the engine side go into threads in the manifold but what about on the converter end, are there nuts on that or is it also threaded?

I have a hole in mine and really don't see taking it in somewhere if I can avoid it. I am thinking that the Bosal part is the one that I will go with as it looks better made than the Walker and the OEM price is way to expensive.

Thanks in advance
From what I remember:
  • Remove 6 bolts and Oxygen sensor and the flex pipe should come out.
  • Just drive your Sienna up a ramp, no lift needed.
  • Impact wrench made things easier. I believed I used a propane torch to heat thing up too.
  • A stud came out with the the bolt when I did it. I remember that I had to buy a replacement stud and bolt from the dealer.
Make sure you wear protective glasses because rust will be dropping from everywhere when using the impact wrench.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Great advice!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have replaced my flex pipe twice on my 2004 Sienna CE. The original lasted over 9 years. The replacements, no where close.

• 9/2013, ODO @ 77k miles - Walker Exhaust Pipe - Part No 54614
  • 8/2016, ODO @ 103k miles - Bosal Exhaust Products - Part No 800-041
Currently, ODO @ ~113k and I'm looking to replace the Bosal exhaust pipe soon. This got me thinking if the ones I got are bad quality or maybe my engine mounts are worn and causing excessive stress on flex pipe. How do I know if I need new engine mounts?
Quick update - I'm still using my Bosal flex pipe. Currently at around 130k miles. I thought I had to replace it soon, back in 2016, but it turn out to be a hole in the gasket. New gasket quieted it down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No experience on your particular version however have replaced many flex pipes. I simply cut out the flex a part of the pipe with a cut off wheel then weld a brand new one in area. No damaged studs, donuts gaskets, a ways less time, costing $10 to $25 for elements. But if you really need help to buy afforable baby walker, then you should to see the list of best baby walker and their reviews. Maybe hiring someone with enjoy could make feel. At least a person with a welder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts