Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was just wandering if 3.5" lift would void the insurance, especially roll over. But you know how they are, they would void insurance for any coverage if they find out about modification... for any accident. Anyway, what is your input? Thank you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My "input" is merely one statement and one question.

Q: why would you possibly want to lift a Sienna 3.5"?

S: I believe that lifting a Sienna will certainly make you "wander" [sp]. (the correct word is "wonder")

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My "input" is merely one statement and one question.

Q: why would you possibly want to lift a Sienna 3.5"?

S: I believe that lifting a Sienna will certainly make you "wander" [sp]. (the correct word is "wonder")

Sorry, my bad. Well, lifted sitting higher, better clearance...

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Sienna (LE) FWD
22 Posts
Sorry, my bad. Well, lifted sitting higher, better clearance...
Don't feel insulted or anything like that, but that's not bright at all.

In such a case, you're planning for a disaster. A huge (for me) advantage of the Sienna is that it's:
  • Heavy
  • Long and wide
  • Clearance is low.

That means that Sienna is extremely stable on Canadian slippery roads. Lifting it will jeopardize that. Sienna will be much more tending to roll over.

Quick story here. My buddy got a brand new truck. He decided to lift it to put 33" wheels. I told him that it's a stupid idea, but how cares, right? In a few weeks (during the winter period), he was going down the hill and flipped his truck over. Insurance declined his claim stating that he made modifications that led to the accident. He even went to court, but the judge ruled the same. So he ends up with 2 tons of scrapped metal and $60k debt. That's not even to mention his back imjury.
Do you really wanna follow that path?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't feel insulted or anything like that, but that's not bright at all.

In such a case, you're planning for a disaster. A huge (for me) advantage of the Sienna is that it's:
  • Heavy
  • Long and wide
  • Clearance is low.

That means that Sienna is extremely stable on Canadian slippery roads. Lifting it will jeopardize that. Sienna will be much more tending to roll over.

Quick story here. My buddy got a brand new truck. He decided to lift it to put 33" wheels. I told him that it's a stupid idea, but how cares, right? In a few weeks (during the winter period), he was going down the hill and flipped his truck over. Insurance declined his claim stating that he made modifications that led to the accident. He even went to court, but the judge ruled the same. So he ends up with 2 tons of scrapped metal and $60k debt. That's not even to mention his back imjury.
Do you really wanna follow that path?
Thank you for sharing ur opinion... Sure, it's logical about CG... I was just encouraged by the bunch of guys lifting Sienna... It is less stable ... who knows by how much, but has higher clearance for off-road driving, deep snow or sand driving. May be I'll just think about air bags installation in the springs.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Sienna (LE) FWD
22 Posts
Thank you for sharing ur opinion... Sure, it's logical about CG... I was just encouraged by the bunch of guys lifting Sienna... It is less stable ... who knows by how much, but has higher clearance for off-road driving, deep snow or sand driving. May be I'll just think about air bags installation in the springs.
If you really need to drive a lot with gravity center high up in the air, then probably Sienna is not a thing for you.

I would like for some SUV or truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nikki,

Does your insurance regularly check your vehicle? Like an annual inspection? I am not familiar with Canadian insurance or any Canadianvehicle inspection requirements. I am in California and have had no problems with insurance with any modified vehicles: I currently have a lifted Sienna, lifted Tundra and a modified Miata.

My experience with my lifted Sienna:
I have the JourneysOffRoad 3.5-inch lift kit on my 05 XLE AWD. Purchased in early March 2019 and had the kit installed by my mechanic March 20, 2019. Definitely improved my ground clearance. I pretty regularly drive Forest Service, BLM and farm roads. With the lift I can get many places that I would not be able to otherwise. The kit is very solid and quite well made. One could put the kit on at home with some serious jacks and jackstands. It would take a full day, maybe more.

My Sienna is a daily driver and a road trip/vacation vehicle. I live in Concord CA and drive extensively. Shortly after the lift kit installation, I drove to the Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories with no problems (approx 6K miles). I have driven a bit over 40,000 miles with the lift kit. I am quite pleased with the setup. The van handles fine both on and off the pavement. It corners well, brakes fine, and doesn’t feel "tippy" at all. The added height was a notable change when getting in and out at first, but I adjusted quickly.

I have not had any problems with the CV joints, boots, alignment or handling.

JourneysOffRoad was very willing to answer all my questions during my pre-purchase investigation. I am very satisfied with their kit and their customer service.

I put Yokohama Geolander 235/65 R17's on my stock rims. They seemed fine. I wanted to run Bridgestone Duelers after the kit was installed. I have them on my Tundra 4x4 and really like them: good off-road traction, quiet on the highway and they last about 80,000 miles. Unfortunately the smallest Dueler size rubs the spring collar on the front suspension. Thus the switch to the Geolanders. I now have Toyo Open Country AT II 225/65 R17's on the van. They seem to have better traction on dirt than the Geolanders.

The only drawback is the scratched paint from driving down Forest Service roads that are overgrown with brush.

GreggB

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree with GreggB, JourneysOffRoad 3.5-inch lift kit is really solid an improve the clearance and how long the Sienna is having a "family" suspension (meaning soft) the rising is not create to much problems but is also expensive.
I used on a 2015 XLE air bags and raised the car approximately 2.75 inches without any problems. do to much maintenance to air system i decided to my new 2018 XLE to use something similar to JourneysOffRoad 3.5-inch lift kit. The product is
Traxda Leveling Kit 2011-2020 Toyota Sienna - 2 Front / 1.8 Rear 906025

TRAXDA LEVELING KIT 2011-2020 TOYOTA SIENNA - 2" FRONT / 1.8" REAR 906025
for 260 $ and i must to say that back is actually lifting around 2.5 inches. Now... because i take in consideration the gravitational point will be higher and may be a problem i add to the wheels spacers 1.5 inch. I know, a lot of pro and cons about spacers but by mi personal experience I have on 2 Sienna during a 5 years just pros. long story short I add another inch rise to the car mounting 235/75/17 tires, again pros and cons about but how long you keep in mind to adjust the speed to deferential real speed (in this case 3.5 MPH minus at 60 on odometer) you are good to go. yes yes some will say the bigger tires are rubbing at the curves but spacers actually keep the same maneuverability space at maximum left/right turns so....yes are working together.
but guess what ? to finish and cut all the possible roll oved discussions I add
Toyota Sienna 11-20 FWD ONLY Add-on Rear Sway Bar - MRS-TY-1390
for 175 $ and you will feel the difference in maneuverability especially at highs and low speed on sharp turns.
All this together give me a 3.2 inch lifting keeping the GP on the same spot (actually is just a bit lower) with improved maneuverability and better temperature of tires

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nikki,

Does your insurance regularly check your vehicle? Like an annual inspection? I am not familiar with Canadian insurance or any Canadianvehicle inspection requirements. I am in California and have had no problems with insurance with any modified vehicles: I currently have a lifted Sienna, lifted Tundra and a modified Miata.

My experience with my lifted Sienna:
I have the JourneysOffRoad 3.5-inch lift kit on my 05 XLE AWD. Purchased in early March 2019 and had the kit installed by my mechanic March 20, 2019. Definitely improved my ground clearance. I pretty regularly drive Forest Service, BLM and farm roads. With the lift I can get many places that I would not be able to otherwise. The kit is very solid and quite well made. One could put the kit on at home with some serious jacks and jackstands. It would take a full day, maybe more.

My Sienna is a daily driver and a road trip/vacation vehicle. I live in Concord CA and drive extensively. Shortly after the lift kit installation, I drove to the Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories with no problems (approx 6K miles). I have driven a bit over 40,000 miles with the lift kit. I am quite pleased with the setup. The van handles fine both on and off the pavement. It corners well, brakes fine, and doesn’t feel "tippy" at all. The added height was a notable change when getting in and out at first, but I adjusted quickly.

I have not had any problems with the CV joints, boots, alignment or handling.

JourneysOffRoad was very willing to answer all my questions during my pre-purchase investigation. I am very satisfied with their kit and their customer service.

I put Yokohama Geolander 235/65 R17's on my stock rims. They seemed fine. I wanted to run Bridgestone Duelers after the kit was installed. I have them on my Tundra 4x4 and really like them: good off-road traction, quiet on the highway and they last about 80,000 miles. Unfortunately the smallest Dueler size rubs the spring collar on the front suspension. Thus the switch to the Geolanders. I now have Toyo Open Country AT II 225/65 R17's on the van. They seem to have better traction on dirt than the Geolanders.

The only drawback is the scratched paint from driving down Forest Service roads that are overgrown with brush.

GreggB
GreggB, did you consider the FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL tires in the same size? I'm debating between those and the Toyo's you got. Also, why not the 235/65R17's in the TOYO? Too big? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Sienna LE
19 Posts
My experience has been pretty similar to @GreggB. I bought a 2014 AWD Sienna this fall and shortly after had the Journeys Offroad 3.5" lift kit professionally installed and put some 255/55R18 BFGoodrich KO2 tires on the stock rims. The van does sit noticeably higher but the center of gravity is still pretty low relative to the van's size. Since the lift I've gone on a couple 1000+ mile road trips where the speed limit was 75 or 80mph for several hours. I can assure you that the van handles nearly the same as it did before the lift at these speeds. I would say it's still less squirelly than most stock trucks. Just a couple weeks ago I had to swerve HARD to avoid hitting a deer. I was going about 60mph at the time and the van didn't even come close to tipping.

So was it worth it? Heck yeah! Since the lift the van has been crushing (unplowed) forest service roads. A few weeks ago we got snowed in at a cabin with 18+ inches of snow. The Sienna pulled itself right out but my buddy's 4x4 F150 got stuck. The only con is that my fuel economy went down by about 2mpg. Oh well!

Regarding insurance, I haven't told my provider about the lift. I don't have a reason why other than I haven't gotten around to it. I need to call them today anyway so I'll ask and report back what they say.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Sienna LE
19 Posts
As promised, here's an update after talking with my insurance provider: I have comprehensive coverage through Farmers Insurance. They said they'll cover vehicle modifications up to $10k, including lifts under 4". Adding the lift to my policy increases my premium by $11 over a six month period, i.e $22/year.

So if I were you @Nikki I would get the lift because it's really not going to increase your odds of rolling the van and it's totally worthwhile for your use cases BUT I would definitely tell your insurance provider and pay a little more on the premium in the off chance that you do roll, because rolls happen even without lifts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
GreggB, did you consider the FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL tires in the same size? I'm debating between those and the Toyo's you got. Also, why not the 235/65R17's in the TOYO? Too big? Thanks in advance....
Weaky6,
I didn't consider the Falkens, not sure why. I rely on TundraSolutions for off-road tire information, possibly there was no information or contributors didn't like the Falkens. Selection was the reason for getting the 225's. The front shock absorber spring collar is the limiting factor on tire diameter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My experience has been pretty similar to @GreggB. I bought a 2014 AWD Sienna this fall and shortly after had the Journeys Offroad 3.5" lift kit professionally installed and put some 255/55R18 BFGoodrich KO2 tires on the stock rims. The van does sit noticeably higher but the center of gravity is still pretty low relative to the van's size. Since the lift I've gone on a couple 1000+ mile road trips where the speed limit was 75 or 80mph for several hours. I can assure you that the van handles nearly the same as it did before the lift at these speeds. I would say it's still less squirelly than most stock trucks. Just a couple weeks ago I had to swerve HARD to avoid hitting a deer. I was going about 60mph at the time and the van didn't even come close to tipping.

So was it worth it? Heck yeah! Since the lift the van has been crushing (unplowed) forest service roads. A few weeks ago we got snowed in at a cabin with 18+ inches of snow. The Sienna pulled itself right out but my buddy's 4x4 F150 got stuck. The only con is that my fuel economy went down by about 2mpg. Oh well!

Regarding insurance, I haven't told my provider about the lift. I don't have a reason why other than I haven't gotten around to it. I need to call them today anyway so I'll ask and report back what they say.

View attachment 48866
Pencilvester,

Your van looks great, I am a bit jealous over your tires. How many miles do you get from them? Are they very loud on the highwy?

If you want, you can install a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) (locking differential) and get true 4-wheel drive. OS Giken makes a Torsen LSD unit for the 2011+ Sienna (U660 transmission). Giken developed the unit at the request of Toyota so that a Sienna could be used in the Lap of America. I would install one but they don't fit my 2005 XLE (U151F transmission). Last I checked, the unit was $1,1450.00, and then there is the installation cost. But you wind up with a true 4WD Toyota van for much less than a Quigley converted Ford van. OS Giken USA - Race Performance Drivetrain Products

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Sienna LE
19 Posts
Pencilvester,

Your van looks great, I am a bit jealous over your tires. How many miles do you get from them? Are they very loud on the highwy?

If you want, you can install a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) (locking differential) and get true 4-wheel drive. OS Giken makes a Torsen LSD unit for the 2011+ Sienna (U660 transmission). Giken developed the unit at the request of Toyota so that a Sienna could be used in the Lap of America. I would install one but they don't fit my 2005 XLE (U151F transmission). Last I checked, the unit was $1,1450.00, and then there is the installation cost. But you wind up with a true 4WD Toyota van for much less than a Quigley converted Ford van. OS Giken USA - Race Performance Drivetrain Products
Thanks for the info on the OS Giken LSD. I had no idea it was a thing!

The KO2s have been great. Definitely louder than the stock tires but still pretty reasonable around town and on the highway. My previous car was a utility van without insulation and the road noise was way worse with just the stock tires. This is my first set of KO2s so I'm not sure how long they'll last. From what I've read on the Internet I'm hoping for 5 years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the info on the OS Giken LSD. I had no idea it was a thing!

The KO2s have been great. Definitely louder than the stock tires but still pretty reasonable around town and on the highway. My previous car was a utility van without insulation and the road noise was way worse with just the stock tires. This is my first set of KO2s so I'm not sure how long they'll last. From what I've read on the Internet I'm hoping for 5 years.
I have a while before I need new tires. I will investigate the KO2s so I can be better prepared.

I have my 05 XLE set up the way I like: lift kit, AT tires, camping bed conversion with cabinet space, auxiliary headlights, additional backup lights and aftermarket head unit to replace the Bose. So I am not very motivated to sell my '05, purchase a Gen 3, perform the same conversions and then install the Giken LSD. Think I will just take a month off, go to Glacier National Park and look for wolverines.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Pencilvester,

Those LSDs look nice for gen3 vans, but looks like they are FWD only. So no AWD+LSD, it’s either/or.

-Mike

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Sienna LE
19 Posts
Those LSDs look nice for gen3 vans, but looks like they are FWD only. So no AWD+LSD, it’s either/or.

-Mike
Thanks for clarifying. I had a look at the OS Giken website and wasn't quite sure what they meant by "Confirmed Fitment for Front Wheel Drive Only." I thought maybe that meant they only installed it on a front wheel drive to confirmed it worked...

@GreggB Your build sounds pretty similar to what I'm working towards. Have any photos of the platform, cabinets, etc?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts