Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We’re about to purchase a used 3rd Gen Sienna with the push button start and electronic keyfob. This will be our first vehicle without an actual “key” (other than rental cars, etc). I’m not sure if they previous owner included both of the keyfobs when they turned over the van to the dealer. We’ll definitely need two of these and I’m hoping to avoid OEM Toyota dealer fees.

I’ve seen these available for purchase online from parts stores for mid $100s range. But, I’m wondering, is there a way to program one of these ourselves? I remember back when I purchased a second key and keyless entry fob for our 2008 Sienna, I was able to follow some online instructions and actually reprogram the key and fob ourselves using a specific series of key twists and various button presses. Is there anything similar to allow one to program their own replacement electronic keyfob for a setup with the push button start?

If not, how much of an expense would you guess we‘d be looking at for getting one programmed? Will I have to go do a Toyota dealer specifically or is it something that a repair shop can do? Sorry, I don’t know more about this yet, but I’ll soon learn. :) Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
A computer and Toyota TIS software is required. I have seen posts about locksmiths doing the programming for around $75. Maybe check with a few for a package deal - key fob and programming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the second generation of Sienna, it is possible to program the keychain ourselves. for the third generation - I did not find instructions.
for the second:
a) locked linked with the shift position
All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the selector lever is moved out of "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position.
This function is the default setting for new vehicles.
b) unlocking linked with the shift position
All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the selector lever is moved to the "P" position with the ignition switch in the "ON" position.
c) locking linked with the vehicle speed
All the side doors and back door are locked automatically when the vehicle speed reaches 20km / h (12mph) or higher. However, if any door is unlocked during driving, this auto locking function will not operate untill the unlocked door is opened once.
d) unlocking linked with opening the driver's door
All the side doors and back door are unlocked automatically when the driver's door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from "ON" to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position.

setting
1. Close all the doors and back door
2. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position
3. Withing 10 seconds after ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position;

* To set function (a)
Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in ther "P" position
* To set function (b)
Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever int ther "P" position
* To set function (c)
Push and hold the front of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in any position except "P".
* To set function (d)
Push and hold the rear of the driver's side power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in any position except "P".

All the side doors and back door automatically lock and unlock when you release the power door lock switch. This indicates that the function is set. If all the doors do not lock and unlock, the time the switch was held may have been to short or too long. Perform the procedure over again starting from step 1.
If you whant to cancel a function, repeate the procedure. Each time you perform the procedure, the function is set or canceled.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
A few folks with very early Gen-III vans (2011) reported that they were able to use the old Gen-II instructions to program chipped keys and remote fobs. Beyond that, you must use the security section of Techstream to pair anything to the van.

If your new van is being sold as a CPO vehicle, the dealer is required to supply a full set of keys / fobs, including the push button start proximity remote. If it's just sold as used, I'd still push the dealer to supply the second silver fob as a condition of sale, as they can be rather expensive ($300+).

Yes, you can buy one on ebay and pair it to the van if you also get Techstream and a cable, but some have reported that it doesn't always work. Apparently within the silver case is an ID number on the board (?) that has to match the others that came with the van. I have not tried it myself, so I can't say for sure. And you will have to buy a new blank emergency key (it slips into the fob) and have it cut to your locks for backup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd still push the dealer to supply the second silver fob as a condition of sale, as they can be rather expensive ($300+).
I’d recommend having it WRITTEN on the purchase agreement that 2 functioning remotes will be provided. That way no one can claim ignorance when you pick it up.

Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to follow-up on this. Turns out, the dealer was able to get the second keyfob from the previous owner so we ended up with two of them after all. I’m grateful, because even at discount prices for the fob itself, it looked like it would have been $200 - maybe quite a bit more depending on how much a locksmith would charge for the smart keyfob (push button start type) programming. Thanks for all of your advice. It really helped give me some good ideas for how to contact and work with the dealer on this. I’m really happy it worked out well in the end. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a used 2017 Sienna Limited with 1 key.
Got a second on eBay and rented a programmer from Toms Keys
Look for Tom's Car Key Programmer - 2nd Generation (Push Button Start Vehicles) on YouTube for instructions.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Can you name the ebay listing for us please?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Per SiennaFL's recommendation I ordered the fob from AllKeyless thru eBay, and it arrived yesterday. I need to make an attempt to get Techstream running and give it a shot. If not, Toms Key rental of the module....

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See my thread from the other side of the forum:

Thanks so muchI I’ll definitely check that out. I really appreciate you sharing. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts