Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
The engine was cold at the time of that picture, and it'll obviosly read a bit higher when hot. No shifting issues are present, but still tempted to do a splash/fill. Thoughts?
But was the engine running when you took that measurement? You are supposed to take tranny fluid level measurements with the engine running, whether it is cold or hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
But was the engine running when you took that measurement? You are supposed to take tranny fluid level measurements with the engine running, whether it is cold or hot.
No. At the time of that picture, the engine was cold for over eight hours.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No. At the time of that picture, the engine was cold for over eight hours.
So I just went outside and checked the fluid level on ours, engine off/cold ... it's the same level as you show in your photos.

So your fluid is probably at the proper level. If you want to make sure though you will need to check the level with the engine running.

-- John

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I just went outside and checked the fluid level on ours, engine off/cold ... it's the same level as you show in your photos.

So your fluid is probably at the proper level. If you want to make sure though you will need to check the level with the engine running.

-- John
Right, when idling it shows the proper level. (y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Sienna with 157,000. Fluid was very dark but still smelled good with good viscosity. Am in the process of flushing it with Valvoline MaxLife ATF which is compatible and synthetic.
I will use SeaFoam Trans Tune in the next refill, then change the filter and clean out the pan. After that I'll do 2 more drain and fills and call it good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Sienna with 157,000. Fluid was very dark but still smelled good with good viscosity. Am in the process of flushing it with Valvoline MaxLife ATF which is compatible and synthetic.
I will use SeaFoam Trans Tune in the next refill, then change the filter and clean out the pan. After that I'll do 2 more drain and fills and call it good.
If/when you change the filter, let us know if your existing filter was metal mesh or non-metal, and what you replaced it with. Take pics of both if you can!

Thanks. John

·
Registered
55 Posts
Filter I took out of the 2004 was not metal mesh and the one I replaced it with was not, they were more like a yellow sponge, I just threw out the old one so I can't show it but the new one was an inexpensive Rock Auto choice. I think the ATP, and they supplied a cork pan gasket to which in the future I will always seek out the WIX filter because it should come with the neoprene gasket. If you go look at the Rock Auto listing you can see the filter material.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,464 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this board about the Toyota OEM filter assembly on the the U151 e/f transmission. The Filtran SPX contains a block of Dacron Microfiber filtration medium. You will not find a 'screen' in these transmissions. It's a real filter. But if you were to buy something inferior, don't install it!

Reactions: SilverMachine

·
Registered
1 Posts
If/when you change the filter, let us know if your existing filter was metal mesh or non-metal, and what you replaced it with. Take pics of both if you can!

Thanks. John
Seriously, just stop misinforming people that the 2nd generation has a metal screen for a filter. If you're going to make a claim, you need to provide the proof. Everybody who has posted so far when replacing their transmission filter has repeatedly shown that it is not a metal screen. I also did mine this past week (06 Sienna) and it is definitely not a metal screen.

For those planning to drop their transmission pan, don't bother cleaning the this "metal" filter (good luck with that). Just replace it.

Edit: Also, this may be a useful tip for the gasket. I bought the Wix filter kit 58010 which includes a rubber gasket and also the Toyota OEM cork gasket. The holes for the OEM gasket are bigger so you can fit the screw in without it touching the gasket. The Wix gasket is also a tiny bit thinner, and the holes are a bit smaller than the screw thread itself so it may move the gasket as you're screwing it in. I chose to use the OEM gasket.

·
Registered
429 Posts
2007 Sienna with 197k miles with the original transmission filter. Fluid has been drained and filled a four times in it's lifetime with me since 62k miles(bought used). Transmission was running fine and fluid was dark red and still smelled potent. Change out was due to maintenance and new radiator(original).

What I thought was an easy job turned into a big headache. I snapped off two bolts! Luckily those two were easy access so I could drill them out and re-tap them. I must of missed the part where they put blue loctite on them or living in the rust belt played a factor. I should of remembered a Youtube video where the guy slowly unloosen them and re-tighten them to get them off. The stealership wanted $1.50 for each bolt but only had two so I went to Autozone to buy the rest of the 18 bolts because I didn't want to go through the same ordeal should there be a next time. They had a pack of 8 for $4. They are also a 10.9 class bolt which is as strong as grade 8 bolts.

The Toyota bolts come with blue loctite on the threads.

The Toyota filter is definitely not a metal mesh screen but more like a Scotch-Brite Scouring pad material. A new Toyota filter and cork gasket was used.
I used this method to change out 8 quarts of WS transmission fluid in addition to the 6 quarts that came out when changing the filter, so a total of 14 quarts of fluid.

I used this bucket from Home Depot to keep track of how much fluid came out.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts