Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
197 Posts
I was one of the whiners (about Sienna being underpowered.) I was hard wired to assume that loud engine noise means it has reached its limit. Over the time, I learned to ignore the droning noise and keep going at the peddle to get as fast as I want. Since then, I say I have passed 500 cars for every one that passed me, including on high grade uphills ( Ex. Vail pass.)
The engine has reached it's limit when you have the pedal pressed to the floor and you're not getting anything more out of it. As I've said before in another thread, you can't harm a warmed-up engine by flooring it. The engine will self-limit its speed if necessary. They have rev limiters and the automatic transmission won't shift to a gear that will overspeed the engine. Try it. Shift to S mode and downshift a couple times. It won't let the transmission downshift if the next shift would put the engine past redline, even if you've requested that gear. It'll wait to shift until the engine has slowed down enough that the shift won't cause the engine to overspeed.

The only way you can overspeed an engine is with a manual transmission vehicle, and even that requires downshifting too much, because even if you don't upshift before redline, the engine will hit the rev limit and will limit its speed. Even my motorcycle with carbs has a rev limiter, which since it's carbureted with mechanical throttle can't work by simply closing the throttle like a vehicle with electronic throttle can. So instead they cut the spark plugs to limit engine speed.

When I was young, and dumb, I found the rev limiter in the 1991 Honda Accord I was driving at the time. This had a mechanical throttle, so like my motorcycle it worked by intermittently cutting the spark plugs. It took until 114 MPH (indicated) to reach the rev limiter...

So yeah. If you want the acceleration/speed, and the engine is warm, ignore the noise. That's normal, engines make noise. Ignore it and press the pedal to the floor till you've reached the speed you want. The engine will be just fine.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
172 Posts
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Parallel

With our 2004 Sienna, things started to go bad at the 14 year mark - air conditioning, CV joints, radio head unit, cracked radiator, and finally catalytic converters going into year 18. I looked at the Pacifica and Odyssey's CR data and thought, they have serious problems in the first few years? Pass.

·
Registered
779 Posts
View attachment 57658

With our 2004 Sienna, things started to go bad at the 14 year mark - air conditioning, CV joints, radio head unit, cracked radiator, and finally catalytic converters going into year 18. I looked at the Pacifica and Odyssey's CR data and thought, they have serious problems in the first few years? Pass.
The 20 and 21 Ody has more serious issues [red] yet overall higher rating then 20 and 21 Sienna?? Especially 21 models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
“…What a difference with cabin noise. Odyssey is so much quieter and smoother…”

Riding Sienna is like eating at a cheap Chinese takeout.
Riding Oyssey is like dinning at a expensive Japanese restaurant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
are you a taxi driver?

Ily, With all due respect - It's 2022. Between high gas prices, air pollution and saving the environment - There is just no compelling reason to purchase a competitor van that on a good day can make 20mpg 90% of the time you own the vehicle. Whereas, our daily use Sienna's will do 35mpg 90% of the time we drive it around (assuming you only drive 10% on the freeways). Yes - i understand you might be happier accelerating faster in your minivan and I'm happy for you. You do what you do....and I'll see you at the gas pump. Maybe Ill buy you your next Unagi sushi.

·
Registered
779 Posts
CR weighs some systems higher than others, I'm guessing that Sienna brake issues got dinged heavily.
Must have some convoluted weighting system :)

For example, 2021 Sienna brakes are one arrow green and only Noises/Leaks and Power Equipment are yellow [no reds] while 2021 Odyssey has red for Climate and Electronics and yellow for Noises/Leaks yet Odyssey rated higher??

·
Registered
7 Posts
just ordered a XLE and am happy at this point with my decision but I am always wondering why everyone picked sienna over odyssey. what was the reasons you have for the choice?
I haven't picked one over the other. I'm down to being only on waiting lists now at a couple dealers for both the 22 Sienna XSE or 23 sport Odyssey. Obviously this board will be totally biased and you could ask this same question over at odyclub and they will give you another 3 pages on why the Sienna fails...but to me? They are both the highest quality minivans on the market and either one will do me just fine. Seeing people arguing over the reliability between these two vans that will both go 400k miles is laughable; It's like students debating xbox vs playstation. I only need vehicles to last me around 10 years and either one will do that in spades.

Now if I'm being totally honest? I personally like the Odyssey more in almost every category. I like the interior build quality, removable seats and 3rd row that actually folds down flush is huge for my familes camping habits. I'm lucky enough gas cost arn't a deciding factor for me and as long as cruise ships are operating I'm sure as hell not the one to save the world by buying a hybrid so I'd rather have the V6 myself, besides in the current market if I do the math at the end of 10 years I'm lucky if I even DID save any gas money. Saved 7k in 10 years on gas with the sienna compared to the odyssey? Awesome, well except for the part where I had to pay a 5k market adjustment and 3,950 in ceramic coating and wheel locks...looks like I'm driving this thing another 3 years just to break even. Replacement battery time coming up you say? I'm gonna ignore that for now, thanks.

Sienna wise I'd say though I can't really stand its typical "Toyota" level of interior especially that infotainment system that looks like something the soviets would have installed during the 60s space race era I really do like the external design, at least the XSE models. I also just wanted the hybrid not because I'm going to save the world or actually save any gas in this current market buying one I just want something different to drive. I dunno... I've never owned a hybrid and it just seems kinda fun to have one. So that's a big plus for me.

Either way the reality for me is I need one now and frankly it's just a crap time to be buying one of these things. The Sienna is due for that new infotainment system refresh in what, 24? Thats huge to me. The Odyssey is due for its external refresh in 24 as well (who really knows) another big one. Not to mention they already have the AWD/Hybrid Odyseey in Japan, with my luck they bring something like it here in 2 years... I may sound like I've come down on the Sienna but these are just my personal tastes. I think both are incredible and you could offer me a XSE Sienna tomorrow and I'd take it all day long. I just don't play favorites when it comes to minivans I guess.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Must have some convoluted weighting system :)

For example, 2021 Sienna brakes are one arrow green and only Noises/Leaks and Power Equipment are yellow [no reds] while 2021 Odyssey has red for Climate and Electronics and yellow for Noises/Leaks yet Odyssey rated higher??
Biased opinion. There's no black or white, on or off. Everything is opinion based.

Maybe CR employees own mostly Hondas lol

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not to mention they already have the AWD/Hybrid Odyseey in Japan, with my luck they bring something like it here in 2 years... I may sound like I've come down on the Sienna but these are just my personal tastes. I think both are incredible and you could offer me a XSE Sienna tomorrow and I'd take it all day long. I just don't play favorites when it comes to minivans I guess.
The Japanese Odyssey is a different vehicle from the North American Odyssey. It's 2 sizes smaller and of course there is no V6, only 4-cyl engines that would be considered underpowered by the North American standards. The hybrid powertrain is based on the same 2.0L engine as the Accord Hybrid, which is IMO weak even for the CRV Hybrid.

I don't think Honda will task itself with developing a larger full hybrid engine, an equivalent of Toyota's A25A-FXS, as it would be only relevant to the US (maybe North American) market. Instead, I think that if the North American Odyssey were to get a hybrid powertrain, it would be of the mild hybrid type, like they have in the F-150 or Tundra.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just ordered a XLE and am happy at this point with my decision but I am always wondering why everyone picked sienna over odyssey. what was the reasons you have for the choice?

Also for anyone that is lucky enough to be driving a 2022 sienna, how do you like it and knowing now what you didnt back then, would you have still picked it?
AWD. We have a 2008 and our daughter a 2007 Odyssey and the Honda drives better (WAY better), is built better, and has had fewer issues. If Honda made an AWD Odyssey we’d be all over it.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Also for anyone that is lucky enough to be driving a 2022 sienna, how do you like it and knowing now what you didnt back then, would you have still picked it?
Well, I know you're talking new, but when we bought our 2008 model used in 2011, the Honda minivan only came with pricey runflat tires which I didn't want to mess with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing fairly new under the 2021-22 Sienna's hood. All these hybrid systems are from 5 years ago so nothing needs to worry about.

However, I do find one thing that I haven't known before I own any Toyota car, which is the quality. I have a 2013 Lexus RX350 with no issue at all, so I kind of trust the Lexus brand, and think maybe Toyota is the same. I got my XSE in Apr 2022, so in just 3 months, multiple places started to play funny noises, I had the dealer check the left slide door and they lubricated the weather trim, now it's slightly better, than the driver's door started as well, followed by the passenger door. I understand this is a van-like vehicle, so it should have some noise with age, but oh man, this is again only a 3-months old vehicle.
This has also been reported in one of the auto magazine's long term test. Rattles and creaks which become more and more noticeable on a Sienna between 10k and 20k.

·
Registered
792 Posts
AWD. We have a 2008 and our daughter a 2007 Odyssey and the Honda drives better (WAY better), is built better, and has had fewer issues. If Honda made an AWD Odyssey we’d be all over it.
I think there is a tentative and quiet consensus that Honda's overall quality in the US market culminated between 2000 and 2010, when the market share reached 10% at one point. Frankly, I do not think MY2022 Odyssey is going to be as sturdy and reliable as MY2008 or 2007, but what do I know.

I also place a very high value on AWD, but the powertrain is even more important, so Odyssey wasn't on my list.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My Odyssey is 17 y.o. wirh 194K mi and she's still going strong. The LOVE of my life. I just need her to hold out another year till my Siena gets here. The only reason I'm switching is for hybrid and AWD. Honda offers neither on their Odysseys.

·
Registered
1 Posts

We had a 2017 Sienna that sadly was totaled by a distracted driver. Last year we purchased the 2021 Sienna. We are old retired folks and love the Sienna. Yes, the mileage is fantastic. We average the high 30's to the low 40's. It's great for travel and I feel safe in it. All the airbags deployed when my husband was hit. The care was a mess, but his only injury was from the impact of the airbags. The only thing I do not like about the 2021 is the color choice. We got the red, but it's not a beauty like the blue pearl of the 2017.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Uber driver here with a 2022 XLE. Subjectively, the Odyssey is the better car. Better driving dynamics (acceleration, braking performance and feel of the pedal, more direct and communicative steering). Better heat in cold conditions (more on that later) seat was more comfortable, infotainment system was better, as was interior build quality. Better autonomous driving aid features as well. But I have a business to run and I get a lot of seat time. Getting 40+ MPG and not idling while waiting for people is a huge boon, as is the turn circle. Some of the newer Odysseys have issues with timing chains and they've always been known for transmission issues, whereas the basic powertrain of the Sienna has been used in the Camry hybrid since 2017.... and that's the standard New York City taxi now. The rate of major failures is less than 2 tenths of a percent, or 0.2% of the fleet. That's about as reliable as you can ask for. Reluctant winner: Sienna.

The following review is copy/pasted from an earlier thread:

My ownership experience for those of you not-so-patiently waiting: Fuel economy is better than advertised. I tend to beat the EPA in every vehicle I drive, and this is no exception. Using special techniques, I almost always squeeze 700+ miles out of a tank @ 40+ MPG. The turn circle is unrivaled. The AC will freeze you out, but unfortunately so will the heat. Seriously the heat sucks in this car. Driving on the highway when the engine is almost always on? Not a problem at all; but in town when the engine is off at lights, the coolant temp bleeds off within one light cycle and leaves you chilly. You turn up the temperature but the car has to run it's engine more to keep the coolant temp up and that kills your MPG. I'm glad I live in the southeast. I would NOT want to drive this car in Milwaukee. Another true disappointment is the build quality. Everything is presented so nicely but everything you touch and everywhere you touch it this car feels cheap. From the huge panel gaps on top of the dash to the way-to-easy-to-flex center console. Gearshift is hilariously wobbly in park. The car has also suffered for several deep scratches in the interior plastic just from normal use. Not to mention the rubber inserts in the seat tracks are already tearing on both sides. This is what I expect from Nissan, Chevy, or Dodge; not Toyota. The engine is LOUD under load. Once you're up to speed and on cruise control it's not that bad but getting there is as loud as a 90s Honda with no muffler. I do love that all four windows are auto down AND up, and that I can still control them with the lockout switch on. The car is slow, but it isn't THAT slow. You do have to plan ahead for short on ramps but it's otherwise fine.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely. Show me another car that hauls 7 people and their bags to the airport in comfort and gets 40+ MPG while doing it. I'll wait. I can live with this car's obvious flaws and shortcomings.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts