Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone figured out how to control the volume of Siri voice alerts when using CarPlay?

In my other vehicle with CarPlay and any rental I ever had, I just change the stereo volume specifically when Siri is talking, and it changes her volume independent of the music volume.

I’ve read and attempted recommendations of activating Siri and asking her to turn down her volume. Doesn’t do anything.

Also tried changing the volume on the phone itself, which doesn’t do anything either.

Have searched the Toyota stereos settings, as well as the phone settings and cannot find anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Control Siri volume within Siri settings on the phone itself. The van has no control of this. I see you say you’ve tired this, but I’m inclined to think you didn’t do it correctly if that’s the case (no offense intended)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Control Siri volume within Siri settings on the phone itself. The van has no control of this. I see you say you’ve tired this, but I’m inclined to think you didn’t do it correctly if that’s the case (no offense intended)
Can you please point me to how to do it correctly? I’ve tried:

1) changing the volume on the head unit specifically while Siri is talking
2) hitting the volume buttons on the phone specifically while Siri is talking
3) asking Siri to “turn the volume down”

Neither have any effect in the Sienna.

In my other vehicle that has a Kenwood head unit and any rental I remember having (pre-COVID I traveled at least 30 weeks a year) the car’s stereo explicitly controlled Siri’s volume separately from that of any music playing from the iPhone via CarPlay.

Here’s a Reddit that corroborates, however their solution (number 1 above) does not work in the Sienna:
Reddit - CarPlay - How to adjust STARTLINGLY loud notifications
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/babj0n

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, we had this too. It is in onboard settings.

I don't remember off the top of my head, so let me go take a look, and I will update this reply.

EDIT: Ok, I didn't test, but I'm pretty sure...

MENU >> SETUP >> VOICE >> VOICE VOLUME

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even i set the voice volume to 1, I still find it loud, especially when driving at night with the kids sleeping at the back. So, i usually turn off the turn guidance on google map.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yep, I tried this before, and google assist just wouldn't stop stfu so loudly at my ears as if it was afraid that the short asian man driving a minivan would cause accidents at every turn. Racist little AI...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we had this too. It is in onboard settings.

I don't remember off the top of my head, so let me go take a look, and I will update this reply.

EDIT: Ok, I didn't test, but I'm pretty sure...

MENU >> SETUP >> VOICE >> VOICE VOLUME
Thanks a bunch. Much better.

Very unintuitive UI. Would have expected that setting to only impact the built-in navigation and voice assistant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Much better.

Very unintuitive UI. Would have expected that setting to only impact the built-in navigation and voice assistant.
Agree. It's inelegant. I'm just glad I found a way to lower it to a more acceptable level because it was definitely way too loud before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts