Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a relatively new used Sienna owner. I have an '08 Limited that I got off the used car lot. I replaced the battery after getting it home and lost function of the driver side slider. I cannot open it manually or auto either inside or out, the fob won't do it either. Has anyone had this issue? How do I even to attempt to fix a door I can't even open?!

I saw something in the manual about how after changing the battery you might have issues with your sliders. It said try a Toyota mechanic. Been there done that. They just wanted to charge me $100+ to even look at it. I thought I'd try you good people first.

Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it COULD be as simple as cycling the power door lock button on the drivers side armrest. If I have disconnected the battery, I can not open the rear hatch until I do that, so might be the same story for your side doors.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also look at the manual to make sure you have not disabled the sliding door function. There is a switch that when hit disables the sliding door function. On our 2004 it is located down by the drivers left knee on the dash underside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I cycled the power button for the slider after changing the battery and tried every different way to open it. With and without power, manually both inside and out. Here are more details on what exactly it does which is NOT open, haha.

It was acting iffy at the car lot but I could at least open the door manually. Of course the used car lot didn't put any real effort into a fix / repair because they knew I was committed to buying the van. That's on me.

Once I got the van home I turned off the power sliding function on that door because I was skeptical of it working properly. Then after replacing the battery the door stopped opening all together. This is exactly what it DOES currently. It won't budge with the manual pull handles inside or out. When the slider power is on it will do one small push out and then stop. The door open light comes on. I can reseal the door and turn off the door open alarm by pressing the door shut at the back seem.

How in the heckeroni do I repair a door that I can't even open?! help me has this happened to anyone out there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it were my van, here's what I probably would do.

I would try to open it with the button as you say it pushes out then stops. When it stops, inspect the space between the door and the vehicle body. It sounds like something is jammed up in there.

Failing that, I might try to open it manually, and applying some force until it opens. You risk breaking something, but at least then the door is open and you can fix whatever is broken and hopefully fix whatever is wrong with the door.

Jamie

·
Registered
13 Posts
My guess, having just repaired two sliding doors on an ‘07 LE, is as follows:

The sliding door cable has failed and is bound up in the pulley and/or tubing inside the door. This is preventing the door from moving.

Google Share Your Repair and read John’s write-up on how to fix the sliding door cables on a Sienna.

That’s going to be your fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before cutting any wire or forcing the door open review the following link. Hope this help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQWFazK5Dgc

I'm trying to get this issue fixed myself before I put the car up for sale..

Has anyone got a permanent fix (Not the Ziptie/Cable tie option) that still enables you to still lock and unlock the door?

I did try putting a small bolt through the whole assembly (with nylon washers or machine spacers) but it doesn't seem to move freely enough to work.

Surely by now someone has 3D printed or machined up something that will work?
(alternatively if someone knows the part number for the whole mechanism? Driver side(Left)

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,691 Posts
Did you look at the two HUGE sticky threads about power door repair at the top of the threads list??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should have mentioned that my doors are fully manual being a CE.

Definitely not a cable or motor problem.

My issue is 100% the snapped nylon bushing.

Also worth mentioning that I want to spend as minimal as possible on this fix, as the car is going up for sale and I just forked our $200 for a new windshield

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t know if you’ve solved it - ours stopped at about 4”, felt like something was blocking it. 2013 sienna limited. Turns out 1 of our gas door hinges is broken, thereby blocking the sliding door cable somehow. Pushing in the gas door as you open the sliding door (remote or manually) and it works like a charm. Gotta give credit to my wife for finding the workaround until we get it fixed with warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don’t know if you’ve solved it - ours stopped at about 4”, felt like something was blocking it. 2013 sienna limited. Turns out 1 of our gas door hinges is broken, thereby blocking the sliding door cable somehow. Pushing in the gas door as you open the sliding door (remote or manually) and it works like a charm. Gotta give credit to my wife for finding the workaround until we get it fixed with warranty.
Just had this happen to me and found this thread. Same make, 2013 Sienna. Left side slider door. Lost power, would only open about 4" before hitting a hard stop. Pushed in on the gas door and worked instantly. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts