Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all -

We're looking to buy either a CPO or leftover 2015/2016 SE (prefer red but would take white). With the current sliding door recall, there is a Stop Sale on leftover 2016s and Toyota will not honor an otherwise-OK vehicle as CPO with an open recall (nor will they classify it as CPO if I buy it now and have the recall addressed once the fix is available). I've tried negotiating with dealers on this point (basically trying to get them to throw in an equivalent-length VSA at no cost since the only reason I want a CPO is the warranty), but none want to play ball.

So, for those out there with an affected 3rd gen (which I believe to be everyone except '17 owners), has anyone seen ANY progress on this? The recall opened mid-November 2016 and some info I've found online said letters would go out to owners in January. Just wondering if anyone received a letter and if it gave any sort of timeline to when a 'fix' is thought to be available. We're not in an absolute hurry, but the wife is due with Baby #3 in late April and I'd like to know whether we should just pull the trigger on a used unit now or wait.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've not seen any progress on this. I received the recall letter where Toyota recommends that owners disable the power sliding doors (there is a switch on the dash to do this) until there is a fix for the problem.

I personally bought an extended warranty even though my 2013 was a Toyota Certified used car. The warranty protection provided as a Toyota Certified used car is, unfortunately, quite limited.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the letter in January and have heard nary a peep since. In light of the fact that there is a switch on the dash that reduces Toyota's liability related to injuries, I doubt they'll be in too big of a hurry to do anything about it. I'm hoping to hear from them while I still own the van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After following the mid January letter advice, the door opened while driving on me last week.

A call to Toyota confirmed that they still do not have a fix and didn't have a time line on getting it established.

They did tell me you can take the Sienna in to your local dealer, and they will provide you with a loaner until the issue is resolved totally paid for by Toyota.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got the letter in January and have heard nary a peep since. In light of the fact that there is a switch on the dash that reduces Toyota's liability related to injuries, I doubt they'll be in too big of a hurry to do anything about it. I'm hoping to hear from them while I still own the van.
I disagree...

In light of the Takata airbag issues, and this being a potentially huge opening for law suites, I am pretty sure Toyota is working hard to develop a lasting resolution to this problem.

These things take time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, to tie a bow on this (sorta), we ended up buying a 15 SE (white) from a private party. We got what I'm pretty sure is a great price, enough cheaper than the dealer to warrant the (minor) risks that come with buying this way. Still debating whether to pull the trigger on a VSA, but that's one less thing to be worrying about as we prep for the new family addition.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,415 Posts
Good to hear you found what you wanted!

You have until the 3 year or 36k mile point to decide on a Platinum extended warranty. I paid $1400 for the 8 yr, 125k mile, $0 deductible and am already nearly $1k ahead. You wouldn't think that a 2015 Limited with under 40k miles would need expensive work, but it happens. Two electrical items (HVAC panel with a bad switch and the drivers door courtesy light switch), and a leaking strut came to over $2,300.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whiteboyslo, I'm in the same situation as you were. It's really frustrating as dealers do have 2016 inventory but can not sell those units. Meanwhile, there are 750k Siennas on the road included in the recall. As mentioned, there is an easy work around to disable the electric doors until a fix is implemented. I can wait until a fix is available or buy used, like you did. Ironically, the 2017 vehicles seem to have a "fix" for the auto closing doors . . . I wonder if the upgraded mechanism in the 2017s could simply be installed in the prior year vehicles . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whiteboyslo, I'm in the same situation as you were. It's really frustrating as dealers do have 2016 inventory but can not sell those units. Meanwhile, there are 750k Siennas on the road included in the recall. As mentioned, there is an easy work around to disable the electric doors until a fix is implemented. I can wait until a fix is available or buy used, like you did. Ironically, the 2017 vehicles seem to have a "fix" for the auto closing doors . . . I wonder if the upgraded mechanism in the 2017s could simply be installed in the prior year vehicles . . .
Does anyone one know if they actually made a change to the 2017's? I got one in January and while I'm not all that concerned I'm wondering if Toyota made a change or is simply using some legal loop hole to leave the 2017's off the recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought used 2016 Sienna but the Dealer de-fused the power sliding door. Toyota dealership wouldn't turn it back on for liability reasons. I tried to put the fuses back in but it still doesn't work (I am aware there is ON/OFF button for the pwr doors) Any suggestions how to make the power sliding door work again? Unplug the battery maybe? Thanks

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
We just bought used 2016 Sienna but the Dealer de-fused the power sliding door. Toyota dealership wouldn't turn it back on for liability reasons. I tried to put the fuses back in but it still doesn't work (I am aware there is ON/OFF button for the pwr doors) Any suggestions how to make the power sliding door work again? Unplug the battery maybe? Thanks
considering it is a safety issue why would you want to?
if you were to re-enable the sliders and something happened, the dealership has proof that they disabled the sliders and you would be liable for any damages...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
considering it is a safety issue why would you want to?
Because the main condition under which the problem has occurred seems very rare. The last time I had a car door that would not open due to being covered with ice was in 1975! Even if a sliding door was to open while a Sienna was moving due to this issue, it's not as if a belted occupant is going to be sucked out of the vehicle like airline passengers have been sucked out through gaping holes blown out in aircraft fuselage.

Maybe it's already been provided on this forum but there is a link to the press release about this recall: http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota-sienna-recall-nov22.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
leased a 2015, got the notice, been complaining ever since. I am paying for something on a lease that I am not able to use, getting old, my wrists done work that well any more, sorry to say, and cannot open the door without the power assist. I agree, I do not think they are in a rush to fix it. Got all the way up to head of US sales, East Coast, no info, no fix yet, no date yet for fix, no plan on releasing any more information. No sale stamp in place not for safety reason, but because they feel they cannot sell the upper models without the power doors workinging...Wonder if they will try to force me to buy it at the end of the lease. Might try to initiate a Lemon Law suit and have them take it back. Why should I pay for a feature I cannot use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The way these recalls seem to linger, with zero urgency from Toyota to remedy the situation, I'm wondering when someone's going to launch a class action suit?

It's not as simple as "just turn it off". I paid a premium for for convenience features that work, including power sliding doors. Toyota refusing to fix a defect and issuing s recall essentially taking the feature away without remedy is an actionable cause.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The way these recalls seem to linger, with zero urgency from Toyota to remedy the situation ....
Let's storm the new Toyota headquarters in Texas!

You with me, Chimp? LOL!

Settle down and read my post #15 in this thread.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The linked press release was about as useful as mammaries on a male pig. (We used to say it in a more graphic way which had to do with things on a boar, but this being a public forum I chose to bite my tongue.)

The Press Releases the link said I could follow was even less useful than the initial link.

It's becoming obvious, Toyota's plan to address the issue it to ignore it.
That's fine for them but it and their listing of the problem for all the world to see does put a black mark on every Sienna in the time frame given.

That essentially reduces the value of the vehicle which is, in my opinion, totally unfair to the thousands of owners who may want to sell or trade in their Sienna.

It's public relations like that which can but a similar black mark on Toyota and their products. :(

1 - 20 of 309 Posts