Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2008 XLE AWD with 190K miles. The van has had issues with the power sliding doors multiple times and the actuators and cable assemblies have been replaced both by the dealer under warranty and myself. The issue I have now is that the driver side sliding door cable has snapped again where it runs along the rear side window and I can't get the door open either using power or manually. The other end of the broken cable must be wrapped up in the spool.

At this point in the van's life, I just want to cut the cable and operate the door manually. Unfortunately, you need to have the door open to access the cable to cut it. Has anyone run into this before and have any advice? I'd appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've got a 2008 XLE AWD with 190K miles. The van has had issues with the power sliding doors multiple times and the actuators and cable assemblies have been replaced both by the dealer under warranty and myself. The issue I have now is that the driver side sliding door cable has snapped again where it runs along the rear side window and I can't get the door open either using power or manually. The other end of the broken cable must be wrapped up in the spool.

At this point in the van's life, I just want to cut the cable and operate the door manually. Unfortunately, you need to have the door open to access the cable to cut it. Has anyone run into this before and have any advice? I'd appreciate any help.
The cable runs to the back of the rear pop-out windows. There's a plastic cover on the bottom that covers the rear mount point for it. You should be able to gain access to the cable there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable runs to the back of the rear pop-out windows. There's a plastic cover on the bottom that covers the rear mount point for it. You should be able to gain access to the cable there.
Thanks for the quick response. That's the part of the cable that broke. I did trim that end. I think the other end of the cable is hung up, and you need to have the door open to trim that end.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It should be able to open with that cable cut, unless it somehow bound up in the door roller mechanism. That's where mine broke. I have the tail end ahead of the break tucked in under the window. I assume that it's not something simple like the child safety lock is on and you've been trying to open it from the inside after cutting the cable. I'm not sure that there's a non-destructive way to remove the interior panel with the door closed. Have you tried pushing the power door open button since you cut the cable? If you do that while trying to open the door, it may unwind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts