Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wife's 2006 Sienna the chime sound that sounds when you leave the key in the ignition doesnt work anymore. She locked her keys in the van by exiting the van and locking it with the lock button on the door a few days ago and didnt remember it chiming to let her know the keys were in the ignition. I tested it with a spare key and there was no chime when I opened the door and got out. Anybody know a fix for this problem or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hello Mistermegabyte. I too have an 06 (LE). My van has the immobilizer system. According to the manual ( I also went to my van and tried what your wife did) the front door will not lock if it senses the ignition key is in the ignition. I cannot find a reference in the manual to address resetting the chime function. Maybe the chime unit is faulty? It appears to be located behind the instrument cluster. Welcome to the forum and kindly post back when you resolve the issue.
Regards
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Paul. I think the chime still works because I hear it when I dont put my seatbelt on (unless there are 2 different chime units, one for key in ignition and one for seatbelt not on). Very strange....I'll definitely post if I discover anything new.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The only thing I suggest is maybe disconnecting the battery to see if it resets . Keep in mind that some functions like auto window operation might have to be relearnt and I believe the manual addresses that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Also if I may add is to undo the door open close sensor to see if there is any corrosion on the connector itself. You can test the function of this sensor/switch to see if the courtesy lights come on when you open the door as well. I am thinking that if this switch is bad then the system has no idea if the door is open or closed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Also if I may add is to undo the door open close sensor to see if there is any corrosion on the connector itself. You can test the function of this sensor/switch to see if the courtesy lights come on when you open the door as well. I am thinking that if this switch is bad then the system has no idea if the door is open or closed
Paul R, thanks!!!!!! When I got home from work tonight, I put the key in, started the van up and turned it off (left the key in the ignition) and opened the door and noticed that the courtesy lights didn't turn on (which I didn't notice last night). While leaving the door open, I pushed on the door switch by hand multiple times and noticed that the courtesy lights eventually came on. At the same time as the lights came on, the key in ignition chime started sounding. So it seems that the door switch is either bad or just needs a good cleaning/replacement. This weekend when I'm not working, I am going to take the switch out and clean the contacts and/or make sure the connector is connected properly and if that doesn't work I will order a replacement switch. You saved me a gazillion dollars in dealership gouging for diagnosis fees and parts/labor costs. Hope you're staying safe and virus free! --John P, Sumner, WA.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi John , glad I was able to help. Family is sheltered in at home in Miami enjoying each others company. We are addressing quite a few projects that were on the back burner , and at this time we are safe and covid-19 free!
Have a great day Sir!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts