Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes I'll would be curious to know if anyone has tried this. I'm not aware of anywhere you can screw this spindle into the cargo area (that woild be too easy!)
screw? cargo area? what are you referring to?

i removed my third row, and the spare will not fit flat unless it is nearly deflated. i still need to build my plywood floor. i will start this weekend.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
screw? cargo area? what are you referring to?

i removed my third row, and the spare will not fit flat unless it is nearly deflated. i still need to build my plywood floor. i will start this weekend.
The spindle he mentioned is a component of Toyota part number 51900-45010, was mentioned in post #168 of this thread and was used to mount the spare tire on the gen 2 Sienna. Some have wondered if a tire carrier (i.e. spindle) could be mounted inside the Sienna interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for posting about this option. Was Adapt-It able to mill the adapter based solely on the fact that is a GLK rim going on a Sienna?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting about this option. Was Adapt-It able to mill the adapter based solely on the fact that is a GLK rim going on a Sienna?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, thanks to Guzzler for all of his hard work and research. I'm definitely getting a Toyota rim with a 155/90/17 for my 2019 AWD XLE. I'm probably going to keep the run flats until they are spent and then get some sweet Michelin's but until then I would feel better with a spare in the trunk.

Reason for this post, I was checking out my mother in laws 2016 Rav4 limited AWD and noticed it had a spare in the trunk. 165/80/17 which is about 27.4" O.D., and it had the same tire size as my sienna, 235/55/18 (28.2").

How does an AWD Rav4 get away with running a smaller spare tire and it doesn't mess up the drivetrain but on my sienna if I run that same size spare I could potentially damage my drivetrain?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 5x114.3 rim and 155/90/17 spare for $50 shipped off eBay. I’ll toss it on and test it once it gets here, but that’s cheap insurance for a road trip and being able to abandon all together the oem run flats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carried Vredestein Space Master Expandable Spare Tire and Spacer for past 3 years in my van. I never had to use tire and spacer but it is the best solution for space. Vredestein is so compact we never took it out, it stayed vertically and we were able to load suitcases and boxes for the road trips. If I still had my Sienna, that would be my preferred way to carry a spare. I posted this kit for sale in the Classifieds if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Silly question, and I didn't see an answer in this very long thread, but would the rolling diameter of a fully inflated (60psi?) compact spare be larger than the rolling diameter of a normal tire at 35psi with both measured outside diameters being the same? Does the compact spare "squish down" as much as a regular tire when under load? Im asking this because I would guess tire diameters are measured unweighted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not a silly question, a lot of people think wheel rpm is based on circumference rather than loaded radius (LRR). In addition to the higher pressure I suspect the spare has a stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought a 2015 AWD and this thread is giving me a headache. o_O
I need to figure it out though before I go on a long trip.
Btw, my tires size is P235/55R18.
Not sure what the hangup is. it is easy, and costs $200. I have the same van, and the same tire. Here, click the link below this sentence...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my Sienna AWD yesterday so am still learing. I think I am going to buy a used Gen 3 FWD Sienna spare tire. It will be 17" and my tires are 18", but all should be fine until I get to a tire repair shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 5x114.3 rim and 155/90/17 spare for $50 shipped off eBay. I’ll toss it on and test it once it gets here, but that’s cheap insurance for a road trip and being able to abandon all together the oem run flats.
Update? Curious minds want to know! Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just bought a 5x114.3 rim and 155/90/17 spare for $50 shipped off eBay.
nice find! I could not find anything nice/cheap when I wanted my spare.

I ordered a used-but-like-new Sienna FWD space saver on Ebay this week.
The rim will fit no issues, but you risk damage if you run it for too many miles. If you have to use it, I hope it is for a very short distance. Good luck!

261 - 276 of 276 Posts