Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 276 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Re: spare wheel sienna AWD

christoweber said:
This is my first post and maybe a stupid question...but on my 2011 awd xle I mounted winter tires and have been running without a spare. I want to buy a spare wheel/tire...and I have 18" wheels. Can I buy a 17" wheel for a spare?
Not a stupid question at all... the many choices can get confusing.

If the spare is to be used only as a spare, it does not need to exactly match the regular wheels or tires; the spare tire needs only to be nearly the same overall diameter and to have sufficient load capacity - the wheel needs to fit on the hub and over the brakes.

The spare supplied with 2WD Siennas is not the same size as any of the regular tires, and is on a different diameter of wheel than some of the Siennas which are equipped with it. For instance, my 2004 LE has 16" regular wheels, but a 17" spare wheel. Third generation (2011) Siennas generally use wheels 1" larger in diameter than the equivalent second-generation (2004-2010) variation, but I'm not sure about the 2011 (2WD) spare - no one directly answered my question about its size.

It may be that in his original post, wongyun intended to state that "the tire itself is the same as the 2005 Sienna": if so, then the compact (skinny) spare tire size is no longer well suited to AWD use, due to the diameter mismatch and thus speed mismatch, although wongyun found that it didn't cause any immediate problems.

christoweber said:
Here's a follow-up to my question: I've found a spare wheel off an 06 sienna (155/80/17)--does anyone know if that wheel will fit on the new '11??
No, it won't fit, according to the first post in this topic.
the spare tire from a 2005 Sienna will *not* fit in the 2011 Sienna due to the size of the larger brake caliper (tried this in both front and back...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Ok, so I went back and saw that and figured out the 06 spare won't fit the 2011...interestingly, the dealer couldn't answer that and said they would actually have to physically check.
So, I could order a spare wheel (113+tax via dealer) and the only tire I could find was through Sears at 213.46 (incl tax). But, since I am only going to be carrying this on longer trips, I am thinking it might be easier & cheaper to buy a standard size 18" wheel and throwing that in the car/on the roof for long trips. Anyone have experience with that?
-Chris

christoweber said:
Here's a follow-up to my question: I've found a spare wheel off an 06 sienna (155/80/17)--does anyone know if that wheel will fit on the new '11??
No, it won't fit, according to the first post in this topic.
the spare tire from a 2005 Sienna will *not* fit in the 2011 Sienna due to the size of the larger brake caliper (tried this in both front and back...
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

christoweber said:
Ok, so I went back and saw that and figured out the 06 spare won't fit the 2011...interestingly, the dealer couldn't answer that and said they would actually have to physically check.
I'm not surprised. Dealers are normally concerned with providing the correct stock part for a stock vehicle, not making novel combinations of parts. When I bought the extra set of wheels (for winter use) with our Sienna, I was sold stock Sienna steel wheels (as I requested, without covers). It would have been nice if they had known to recommend the same size wheels from a different model (Highlander) that would fit the same but look better (without a cover), but they didn't.

christoweber said:
... I am thinking it might be easier & cheaper to buy a standard size 18" wheel and throwing that in the car/on the roof for long trips. Anyone have experience with that?
I have not tried that, but it does make some sense and has been discussed in this forum (or its predecessor) before - long ago, for second-generation Siennas, either for AWD or to have a full-sized spare (instead of a skinny one) even for 2WD.

A wheel and tire assembly is a heavy and awkward thing, so physically moving it up to the roof and taking it off would not be trivial, but it certainly could be done. Presumably a cargo basket would be mounted on the roof rack.

Again, if this is to be used only as a spare it need not match entirely; the stock full-sized 17" wheel/tire setup (P235/60R17, such as from an LE) would be lighter and cheaper than the stock 18" setup. If an exactly matching setup is used, it could be included in a five-tire rotation pattern.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

made "sticky"

·
Registered
5 Posts

My decision: I went and had a local tire shop find me a 18" wheel that fits and a used tire which is costing me $115 total. I decided against the new donut wheel/tire option because that was going to be 310+, and I am only using this (until I replace the run-flats with normal tires) in winter (I have studded snows), and in both winter and summer my local driving is all within 5 miles of home. So I am going to pack the full sized wheel for road trips, approx 6-8 times a year. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Spare tires are overrated. I drove my 1990 Aerostar AWD van for 18 years before I discovered that the jack would not lift the vehicle. The spare tire that I had carefully maintained was of no use. Your best defense against a flat tire in this modern era are the following: 1) compressor and sealant kit, which will handle 75% of flat tires; and 2) cell phone and AAA card, which will handle the other 25%. Flat tires involving severe tire damage are likely to occur on freeways, where it is generally too dangerous to attempt a tire change anyway. I am about to take posession of a 2011 Sienna AWD. The dealer will replace the RFTs with standard tires, and I will add a compressor and sealant kit. I already have a cell phone and AAA card.

·
Registered
97 Posts

idaho luke said:
Spare tires are overrated. I drove my 1990 Aerostar AWD van for 18 years before I discovered that the jack would not lift the vehicle. The spare tire that I had carefully maintained was of no use. Your best defense against a flat tire in this modern era are the following: 1) compressor and sealant kit, which will handle 75% of flat tires; and 2) cell phone and AAA card, which will handle the other 25%. Flat tires involving severe tire damage are likely to occur on freeways, where it is generally too dangerous to attempt a tire change anyway. I am about to take posession of a 2011 Sienna AWD. The dealer will replace the RFTs with standard tires, and I will add a compressor and sealant kit. I already have a cell phone and AAA card.
Any reason why you prefer to have standard tires with a compressor and sealant kit over RFTs? When you had the dealers swap tires, did they give you some money back?

·
Registered
43 Posts

I’ve read the posts of people here who’ve discussed the storage of spare tires on Siennas. It is 100% certain that I’ll buy an AWD 2011 Sienna and I’m not happy about driving around with **no spare** at all. I’m fifty miles from the nearest Toyota dealer, so I’ll try to get this problem solved right the first time to avoid repeat visits.

I have a question that I will ask of someone here who has actually had the experience of a flat on a “run flat” tire. Please let me know…

1. How far did you have to drive on the “flat” run flat tire?
2. How did the Sienna handle during that time?
3. Was the run-flat repairable?

…and thank you, WRONGYUN, for your specific post on driving awd with the baby spare.

Who else can comment on this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was just wondering if this idea I have is feasible.

As an AWD Sienna owner, I thought about changing over to regular tires as it seems to be the popular choice around here. The problem I have with that is what would I do with my RFTs and where can I get a 5th wheel that's identical to OEM (as a spare) without breaking the bank? There's no doubt that once all 4 of my original tires wear out, that this is exactly what I plan to do --cheap or not. But until then, I can't just cross my fingers that I'll never get a flat.

Here's my thought on this. What if I keep all the RFTs mounted on my rims right now and just buy a 5th tire (same exact RFT) as keep it as a spare? Since flat RFTs would last me for a few miles, I can drive to the nearest shop and have them swap out the tires. The advantage to this is that I can buy the 5th tire for cheap(er) online, I don't have to worry about ending up in a shop that doesn't carry the specific tire I have, and it's lighter to store in the trunk (or on the cargo carrier) without a rim.

Does anyone think this would work? Any arguments to debunk my idea is very much welcomed!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Sean,

That sounds like a good idea. It makes sense not to have the weight of the extra rim. Most garages have tire changers but access to an AWD Sienna size tire might take time. The RFT is a heavier tire and more expensive than a regular tire which would give you a similar benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Seanzky said:
What if I keep all the RFTs mounted on my rims right now and just buy a 5th tire (same exact RFT) as keep it as a spare...
I have heard of people doing this for exceptionally long trips or into remote areas or foreign countries where tire availability would be a concern... but usually for the second spare. It does make sense to me for the stated reasons.

By the way, when others have done this, they are sometimes prepared to mount the tire by hand if necessary; that would not be easy in the Sienna's size even with a normal tire; with the run-flat I assume it is out of the question.

My concern with not having the matching spare on a rim is that it would not be part of the tire rotation (unless you were dismounting and remounting every year anyway to switch between winter and summer tire sets); as a result, after six years or more of driving without needing it, it would be time-expired without having been used. Buy a used matching wheel for $100 and you can include the fifth tire in the rotation and stretch the life of each set of tires by 25%.

ingram4868 said:
The RFT is a heavier tire and more expensive than a regular tire which would give you a similar benefit.
A regular tire would not have quite the same benefit, as the regular tire would still need replacement later to get a properly matched set, while there would be no follow-up to do if a matching RFT were used.

·
Registered
97 Posts
brian_bp said:
Buy a used matching wheel for $100 and you can include the fifth tire in the rotation and stretch the life of each set of tires by 25%.
Brilliant! This is what I'll do. Since I'm in no hurry anyway, this option would be the wisest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The problem with a full-size spare...

First image with just the donut-spare which fits perfectly on the bottom of the trunk and almost unnoticable.

Second image shows that the full-size tire cannot fit flat in the trunk probably due to a combination of larger tire in 2011, and added brackets in the trunk which made it slightly shorter. In fact, in this position, the trunk won't even close.

Third image shows the full-size tire in the 'best' position possible. Notice that this takes up half of the trunk, and having it rolling around in there.

I think given this impossible choice, some people would prefer in decreasing order of:
1. compact-size spare - just don't drive too far on this spare
2. no spare
3. full-size spare

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Perhaps DEFLATE (at least partially) the FULL-SIZE "spare' to decrease it's storage circumference??
Of course, then you would have to carry an air-pump.....I always have a foot-pump in my cars. Make sure any pressure gauges are good for hi-pressures because some of them do not go above 50psi (compact spares tend to need 65psi or more).

Looks like Toyota decided to sacrifice rear storage space for increased interior passenger room. A FULL-SIZE fully inflated DOES FIT horizontally inside a 2ndGen (2004 -2010) cargo well.....a bit "tight" but it fits.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
topspy said:
Perhaps DEFLATE (at least partially) the FULL-SIZE "spare' to decrease it's storage circumference??
An interesting idea, but even a fully deflated tire takes quite a bit of force to collapse significantly.

Many years ago there were space-saver spares which were actually carried collapsed and inflated when needed, but they were specifically designed for this and were not constructed like a normal tire. The Wikipedia page for Spare tire shows one of these, in the back of a 1970 AMC (see photo). Tire Rack and others call these "folding temporary spares". They were described in the January 1979 Popular Science, and I don't think they were used very long after that.

topspy said:
Looks like Toyota decided to sacrifice rear storage space for increased interior passenger room. A FULL-SIZE fully inflated DOES FIT horizontally inside a 2ndGen (2004 -2010) cargo well.....a bit "tight" but it fits.
Yes, but a full-sized 2011 tire is bigger than a full-sized 2004-2011 tire; that's at least part of the problem, although the space may be shorter as well, and the small "dent" moulded into the plastic panel under the hatch was needed and is presumably now omitted, since the 2011 full-sized tire won't fit even with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

perstare said:
I’ve read the posts of people here who’ve discussed the storage of spare tires on Siennas. It is 100% certain that I’ll buy an AWD 2011 Sienna and I’m not happy about driving around with **no spare** at all. I’m fifty miles from the nearest Toyota dealer, so I’ll try to get this problem solved right the first time to avoid repeat visits.

I have a question that I will ask of someone here who has actually had the experience of a flat on a “run flat” tire. Please let me know…

1. How far did you have to drive on the “flat” run flat tire?
2. How did the Sienna handle during that time?
3. Was the run-flat repairable?

…and thank you, WRONGYUN, for your specific post on driving awd with the baby spare.

Who else can comment on this?
Well, a few days ago, my wife and I were driving across Texas in our 2005 Sienna when the tire pressure warning light came on. Left rear run-flat read 0 PSI. Tried adding air with the pump we always carry. Wouldn't hold any pressure at all. Tried a can of fix-a-flat. Nothing. Called every Toyota dealer and major tire place in the region. When I mentioned run-flats they all laughed. Decided to proceed on the flat tire to the nearest tire store and buy a standard tire just to get us home. Nearest place that carried the right size was 50 miles. We drove on carefully. Got 30 miles and the tire shredded. Ended up being towed the rest of the way, buying a $140 conventional tire to get back on the road. Never again. Tomorrow I am buying 3 more conventional tires and a donut spare.

P.S. -- as for carrying an unmounted RFT as a spare: be aware that due to the very stiff sidewalls that run-flats have, they require a special heavy-duty tire machine to mount them. A great many (probably a vast majority) tire places do not have these machines.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

Avanti said:
Nearest place that carried the right size was 50 miles. We drove on carefully. Got 30 miles and the tire shredded.
Real experience does seem to be rare; thanks for sharing it.

"Carefully", but how fast? How long and how fast was the tire running flat before stopping due to thw warning light?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD "HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION"

Who has knowledge with this situation regarding 2011 awd Sienna Limited.....
1. The vehicle has no run flats at all.
2. Five tires, all the same high quality NOT RUN FLAT tires. Four of those tires are "on the ground," mounted on the wheels that came with the vehicle.
3. The fifth tire, the spare, is mounted on a full-size wheel and this spare mounted on this full-size wheel, can be used as a spare **anywhere on the car... front, rear, left right.**

Here's the question: Who knows if a kit is available that would allow that spare tire/wheel to be **secured** to the floor or interior wall?

It is 99.9% certain that I will buy a 2011 awd Sienna Limited. I've been reading this board and the excellent posts of the people here. **In my particular situation,** that scenario would work out the best for me, my wife and the other six members of our family.

The only remaining "glitch" is **how to secure the spare tire/wheel.**

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Re: spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD "HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION"

perstare said:
Here's the question: Who knows if a kit is available that would allow that spare tire/wheel to be **secured** to the floor or interior wall?
Since the full-sized tire is too large to lay in the well behind the third-row seat, I don't see how it could be secured there except in some awkward angled position. Securing to the wall would be the same problem, but worse.

One generation of the Honda Odyssey secured the spare in a compartment against the side wall behind the third row of seats; however, that spare was much smaller than a 2011 Sienna full-sized tire, and even significantly smaller than a 2004-2011 Sienna compact spare. My family's 1971 Chev wagon carried a full-size spare in a similar position - even in a huge L78-15 (~235/78R15) size - but the car was so huge it didn't fit in many garages.

21 - 40 of 276 Posts