Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 267 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
I briefly read thru this thread and on the Honda site (the PAX system is different, but the end result is the same....) when we were considering whether to go FWD or AWD. I even sent a bunch of questions to a guy I deal with at TireRack as I regularly buy winter wheel/tire packages for my cars (even with AWD). Bridgestone does make a runflat snow (LM-60 ??).

An item of debate is the possible damage to TPMS senders when you use tire sealer. Water based like the Slime Kit (electric pump & sealer in a nice neat package) is definitely out. Continental makes a kit also, but even the TireRack site advises that you will probably have to replace the sender if you use it. I don't know if the aerosol cans (heptane & other nasty stuff) are any better.

T.R. also told me that the Gen 2 spare will not fit the Gen 3 van. Finding a Gen 3 spare in a junk yard search might be possible in a year or so when highway statistics take their toll. Gen 2 spares should be easy to find cheap by now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: spare donut wheel and other things

My most recent question involved the anchoring/securing of a full size spare on a full size wheel in a 2011 AWD Sienna Limited. I got my answer. Thanks.

I admit to a certain bias when **tire** issues are discussed -- My priorities being what they are, I'll go through the inconvenience of securing a full size spare on a full size wheel in the back, on the floor, awkwardly placed. Somehow. To me, that's the best solution and that's what I'll do.

The specs for the spare **wheel** are (to the best of my knowledge) "5 x 114.3" but that does not include the measurements which measure the "depth" of the wheel (for example, "offset"). Who knows the additional specs which are necessary to buy a correct spare wheel, which will fit **anyplace** (front or rear position) on the 2011 AWD Sienna Limited?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

perstare said:
The specs for the spare **wheel** are (to the best of my knowledge) "5 x 114.3" but that does not include the measurements which measure the "depth" of the wheel (for example, "offset"). Who knows the additional specs which are necessary to buy a correct spare wheel, which will fit **anyplace** (front or rear position) on the 2011 AWD Sienna Limited?
The bolt pattern is 5x114.3 (that is, 5 bolts on a pitch circle diameter of 114.3 mm or 4.5"), but even that is only part of the hub fit. The centre hole (or bore) is 60.1 mm for a proper hub-centric fit. Offset is normally 50 mm for use with the narrowest stock full-sized tires, but I have not checked the spare to see if it is the same (I assume that is should be). See 2004+ Sienna Tire/Wheel Specifications & Lugnut Torque for details; the 2011 wheels and tires are larger diameters than the 2004-2010, but the hubs are the same.

The brake caliper clearance issues is tougher. This is the reason for 2004-2010 compact spare wheels not fitting a 2011 Sienna, but the full-size wheels don't have this issue (that I know of), and there is no single explicit specification to describe this aspect of clearance. I assume that a nominal diameter of at least 17" is required, but the brake caliper interference is presumably with the wheel's centre section, not the rim. Unless a wheel manufacturer specifically states 2011 Sienna compatibility, or another owner has confirmed it, there is no definitive way to know if a wheel will clear the brakes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

>Who knows the additional specs which are necessary to buy a correct spare wheel,
>which will fit **anyplace** (front or rear position) on the 2011 AWD Sienna Limited?
I am assuming you are referring to the full-size spare in this case.
The rim on my AWD is 18 x 7J (according to the owner's manual) which means 18" tall, and 7" wide. The offset is around 31mm measured (my dealer was not able to provide the offset). But I think if you are using the same tire in the running and spare, then the rim makes very little difference when limping around. Note that the offset of around 31mm is a 'strange' one, as I haven't been able to source this offset outside of Toyota -- for example I have OEM 17" alloys with the same width; but this has 40mm offset and so does almost every alloy rim that I have looked up online.

>I assume that a nominal diameter of at least 17" is required,
>but the brake caliper interference is presumably with the wheel's centre section, not the rim.
I have OEM 17" alloys which seems to fit fine. Some 17" steelies will also fit (but not all) - if you call your dealership they can try it on before you buy it (my local Toyota dealership tried on the Toyota 17" steel and they say it fits fine; there is only one 17" steel that Toyota carries).

>Unless a wheel manufacturer specifically states 2011 Sienna compatibility, or another owner has confirmed it, there is no definitive way to know if a wheel will clear the brakes.
Well an 18" steel/alloy will definitely fit. If you go to tirerack.com they seem to imply that all of their 17" rims fit; my local shop seems to think the same way.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same question. What is the size of the tire required for the donut rim? My dealer can get me the rim for $100, but the only tire he can get is the OEM tire for (no kidding) $1000. And the only size info he could get was 17'' by 4'' whatever that means. Does anyone have the complete size specs for the tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe I should just RTFM. The size for the donut is in the manual. It's T155/80 R17. Really hard to get though, and expensive to boot. Best price for the tire without the wheel I could find was $288 at tire rack. Local dealer was in the $320 range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
>T155/80 R17
The specs is good for the tire. But for the wheel, be careful that not all 17 inchers will fit the car even if the wheel is from Toyota. See the note in the first post of this thread. At the worse case you can take the T155/80R17 from an older vehicle and put it on a new wheel suitable for the Sienna 2011/2012:

>Aside: if you are thinking of buying the spare wheel+tire from an older vehicle for use on 2011 Sienna, you may consider the older generation Sienna (but 2007 and later according to dealership info; note that I have already tried 2005 model whose rim does *not* fit; or maybe from another similar vehicle such as Highlander). But even from the older vehicle (pre-2007 Sienna) the tire can be used on 2011+ Sienna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wongyun, Thankyou for the research! I purchased a used compact spare wheel and tire for $116.00 from autopartsfair.com. It took three tries (money was refunded quickly without asking on the first two orders - don't know what happened to the spare on their end). On the autopartsfair.com website enter Toyota Sienna 2011. Under "part" enter Wheel Rim. Then click on 17 x 4 compact spare. Expect them not to have any so you have to check back often. Also as I said before my order was canceled twice before I got one. Price included shipping which took about a week. If you call them expect to be on hold a long time (10-15 mins). My spare was in new condition and I was happy to pay less than half the new price. Hope this helps some others. I have a set of rims with studded snows for winter and will get rid of the run flats when the tread is gone. Thanks to all who contributed towards helping come to this conclusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wongyun: Where did you get the spare tire cover? I have a 2004 Sienna that I'm putting conventional tires on, and am going to get a 1st gen Honda Pilot spare off of ebay (another thread on here confirmed that it should work) but I haven't seen the nice cover/leash like you have in some of your pictures. Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I called autopartsfair.com and they gave me a similar quote, but they said it was for the wheel only (aka no tire). Is that what you got, or did yours have a tire? If not, where did you get one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bullfrog, I received the spare wheel and tire together for $116.00. I assume it depends on which salvage yard autopartsfair is dealing with. I get the feeling they are just a middleman that brings customers and parts together. Also the website is a little confusing as far as what is included. I would keep trying (check the website and call). The wheel and tire I received had obviously never been on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found a brand new spare from a 2007 solara which supposedly is a match to a 2006-2010 sienna spare. But the spare is actually a T155 70R17. So the aspect ratio is off. Is that an issue. About to go check the bolt pattern right now.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
the 155/70r17 will be significantly shorter (31 mm) but more importantly it probably won't have enough load capacity for the sienna. the bolt pattern and offset should be compatible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't seen a recent post on this subject and was wondering if there were any changes/updates. I own a 2011 AWD with RFTs and they're about done after 23K miles (despite what Consumer Reports says about them lasting for 30K+ miles). I'm thinking about putting on some Michelin tires and a donut spare. Does anyone have recent experience with good tire options and does Toyota offer a spare kit for the 3rd gen sienna yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm ready to drop the RFTs and found a 135/90/16 spare "donut" on an alloy wheel from an Infiniti Q45 at the junk yard. Perfect shape with matching bolt pattern for our 2008 AWD Sienna. I'm encouraged since the Q is a fairly large vehicle, but my concern is if the odd size will damage the AWD drive train.

Thoughts?

41 - 60 of 267 Posts