Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was doing some work on my IS250, I upgrade big brakes and needed a bigger spare. I measured the spare pressure (haven't ever aired it up in 13 years) and it was at 10-psi.

I decided to figure out how to drop the 2015 Sienna spare to check pressure and air it up. They also have the valve facing up which makes it a pain to check regularly...luckily they have some cheap solutions like valve extension hoses that can make the easier.

I found a solution on Amazon for $13 that I might be trying out next. Amazon.com: Quick Pressure QP-000350-Flange Stainless Steel 350 mm/13.78" Flexible Braided Wire Valve Stem Extension: Automotive

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
So here's the problem as I see it: Our dinky spare tires meet the load requirement of the van when inflated to 60 psi. At 50 psi, they are marginal to dangerous. Much below that and it can become tragic.

The industry tells us that normal tires at 30-32 psi lose about 2-3 psi per month. My experience with spares inflated to double that pressure is that they lose pressure on the higher side (faster). So unless you plan to get down and dirty with your spare every 3 months, it's a losing proposition.

Easiest solution? Carry a small portable 12 volt air pump, a cigarette plug extension cord and a digital pressure gauge. I put a note with the spare (or jack) on each of our 4 cars, in bold red type: AIR UP TO 60 PSI BEFORE USE!

·
Registered
845 Posts
My spare came in at about 42psi when I needed to use it in February, about 3 months after checking its pressure. Fortunately there was a working air pump at a gas station nearby.

I wonder if the Gen-4 Siennas will even have a spare. Most new Priuses, for example, have only a bottle of patch solution and a 12-V pump.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wonder if the Gen-4 Siennas will even have a spare. Most new Priuses, for example, have only a bottle of patch solution and a 12-V pump.
All gen4 Siennas will include a "tire fix kit" as standard and a spare tire optional across the board. My assumption is that spare will be a space saver (donut) spare.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts