Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the install for the spare tire kit for my 2022 LE AWD today. Overall I thought the kit was very easy. The instructions were very detailed and it took me about 2 hours to do the install. I took my time, you could easily knock it out in probably an hour if you wanted.

The first part was getting the various cover plates and the old side panel out.

20220831_135706.jpg

20220831_142133.jpg

20220831_140748.jpg

The instructions here are pretty clear. Just be careful pulling the various pieces out, I found using a plastic pry tool very handy for this. The instructions don't tell you to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the straps for the middle row 8th passenger seat (if you have one) but that is pretty obvious. You have to unplug a few electrical connectors and fiddle with the emergency gas door release, but that is all detailed in the instructions and easy to do.

Next up was to install the new bracket for the spare.

20220831_143134.jpg

The bracket only goes one way. The only odd thing here is that the kit has a package of 3 bolts, but you only use one.
20220831_145218.jpg

Here's the new panel with the tire provision that came in the kit. After this it was just a matter of following the instructions and putting everything back that you took out. The only thing here that I deviated from was that I re-used the one time clips for my side door scuff plate. The factory clips each had a small rubberish gasket that seemed to seal the clip onto the hole where it fit. The replacement clips I bought from toyota did not have this gasket. If the scuff plate comes loose I can always use the other clips I bought.

Cutting the carpet for the jack and cover was simple. The nuts not included in the kit are needed to bolt down the jack holder. The instructions say that there is supposed to be a sticker that goes where the jack handle goes, but there was no sticker in my kit. I don't think it's crucial, I know how to operate a scissor jack.

I still need to get my spare mounted on the rim, but that step is outside the scope of this install.

That's it! Hope this helps anyone looking to tackle the spare tire kit.

Attachments

Registered
2014 SE & 2022 LE
That's a very informative post you did there! It eases my anxiety now if i can do the install myself. Ill try to order it again with a different dealer and DIY it. Thanks for the info!馃檪馃憤馃徏

Registered
2022 XSE
Thanks for posting this. I just picked up my new Sienna today and are looking at getting a spare as soon as possible. I was hoping someone could help me. Our van is converted for wheelchair accessibility and the whole bottom frame is modified. The seat storage "hole" in the back is filled with relocated equipment (I assume batteries) and the third row seats are fixed at the base.

For those that have the spare tire, it is possible to get it in and out without stowing the left third row seat? I can fold it, but the base is bolted in place.

Thanks in advance

Registered
Thanks for posting this. I just picked up my new Sienna today and are looking at getting a spare as soon as possible. I was hoping someone could help me. Our van is converted for wheelchair accessibility and the whole bottom frame is modified. The seat storage "hole" in the back is filled with relocated equipment (I assume batteries) and the third row seats are fixed at the base.

For those that have the spare tire, it is possible to get it in and out without stowing the left third row seat? I can fold it, but the base is bolted in place.

Thanks in advance
Have a 8P with spare.

Not sure if understand question?

Are you asking if can get to spare tire without stowing left 3rd row seat? If that is question then yes, can access spare.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have the spare already? Sorry if this was discussed somewhere else :)
Not sure who this question is directed to, but I got the tire mounted and balanced yesterday. Rim is the toyota one specified in the instructions and the tire is a goodyear that I got from Tirerack. Mounting, balancing, and a valve stem was $22 at my local tire place.

Registered
2022 XSE
Not sure who this question is directed to, but I got the tire mounted and balanced yesterday. Rim is the toyota one specified in the instructions and the tire is a goodyear that I got from Tirerack. Mounting, balancing, and a valve stem was $22 at my local tire place.
That was my next question. I have called 3 toyota dealers and they all tell me they cant get a spare. Would you mind sharing details on the rim part number and tire at tire rack? I assume the same tire would work on my AWD XSE

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Toyota part number for the rim is 42611-0R271. I got it from Online OEM Toyota Part Superstore | OEM Genuine Toyota Parts. The tire I got was this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=58MD7CS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Our van is an AWD LE. I think we have different rim sizes, but I am not sure if that translates into a different overall wheel diameter.

That was my next question. I have called 3 toyota dealers and they all tell me they cant get a spare. Would you mind sharing details on the rim part number and tire at tire rack? I assume the same tire would work on my AWD XSE

Registered
2022 XSE

Premium Member
The Toyota part number for the rim is 42611-0R271. I got it from Online OEM Toyota Part Superstore | OEM Genuine Toyota Parts. The tire I got was this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=58MD7CS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Our van is an AWD LE. I think we have different rim sizes, but I am not sure if that translates into a different overall wheel diameter.
We are also LE AWD, so thank you for doing all the homework for us :)

Also .... it's not very obvious from the installation manual .... where does the jack assembly go?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The jack assembly sits in the cargo well. You cut out a piece of the carpeting on the right side of the well. That will expose 4 threaded studs. The jack assembly then fits over those studs and the four nuts that are not included in the kit but specified in the instructions are used to tighten it down and hold it in place. The biggest thing here is to not cut too much of the carpet away but the instructions give you a good plan to follow using tape to outline the jack assembly.

We are also LE AWD, so thank you for doing all the homework for us :)

Also .... it's not very obvious from the installation manual .... where does the jack assembly go?

Registered
Awesome job! I鈥檓 waiting for my spare wheel to come in where you got yours from. Glad you took it on by yourself and it wasn鈥檛 too hard. Sounds like I got a sweet deal from my dealer for when they did my conversion.

Premium Member
The jack assembly sits in the cargo well. You cut out a piece of the carpeting on the right side of the well. That will expose 4 threaded studs. The jack assembly then fits over those studs and the four nuts that are not included in the kit but specified in the instructions are used to tighten it down and hold it in place. The biggest thing here is to not cut too much of the carpet away but the instructions give you a good plan to follow using tape to outline the jack assembly.
Aha, the installation guide did show [what looked like] the location under the 12V battery's compartment, but I was a little skeptical about it .... again, many thanks for doing the homework :).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts